 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | Help with sights |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:55 pm |
|
|
| DAS |
| Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 14 Nov 2007 |
| Posts: 15 |
|
|
|
 |
Guys,
I keep hearing about how springers kill scopes, but when I look at what people are uising they seem pretty ordinary, if not down right cheap. What's the real deal? Can I use a regular Bushnel or Tasco? I would like to get either a compact low power variable scope, like 1.5 to 4X or possibly a red dot, but I don't want something that won't hold up. Help me out here.
David |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:49 pm |
|
|
| 23ib0d0n |
| Moderator |

 |
 |
| Joined: 21 May 2007 |
| Posts: 757 |
|
|
|
 |
I have an old BSA 2x7 AO that is holding up very well over many years on magnum springers. The old Tasco world class were tough too. Not so sure about the newer Tasco, though if I understand correctly, they still have very good warrenty.
For the price, I personally like the BSA stuff.
Leapers had a good reputation a few years ago, so if you run across one a few years old it might be worth looking at.
Tuned springers are also much easier on optics with less 'sproing' and smoother firing behavior. Enjoy that CdT gun, I know I like all of mine. |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:57 am |
|
|
| AirGunEric |
| Site Admin |

 |
 |
| Joined: 20 Jan 2007 |
| Posts: 6930 |
| Location: "Out There" |
|
|
 |
Most scopes these days seem to be constructed, maybe the word isn't "better"- but at least with bushings in both ends to reduce shock. Years ago, scopes for firearms only reinforced the end that would see shock from a regular powder-burner's recoil (i.e. the front), so sometimes springers would ruin them. I haven't heard much of this happening with any reasonable (i.e. not "Made in China" no-name specials) scopes recently. Virtually every scope seems to be "shockproof" these days- which I would have to assume means there are better insulated than they once were.
Of course, if no one ever knows your scope was used on a springer and it goes bad- there is a warranty. Personally, I think it's about time that every manufacturer insulate their scopes completely. |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:34 pm |
|
|
| Alstone |
| Moderator & Site Supporter |

 |
 |
| Joined: 01 Mar 2007 |
| Posts: 4139 |
| Location: Linconshire, ENGLAND |
|
|
 |
Hi DAS
I have found that most scopes are capable of withstanding the shock of a springer without falling apart, but some have difficulty holding a stable poi, and your constantly adjusting the scope to compensate. All I can say is get a good one.
Al |
|
_________________
 |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:20 pm |
|
|
| broommaster2000 |
| Moderator |

 |
 |
| Joined: 10 Mar 2007 |
| Posts: 5714 |
| Location: City of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands |
|
|
 |
| Depends on the fibrations. If the recoil doesn't hurt, it won't hurt a scope either. Besides, most well made scopes are rated "light-, medium- or heavy-springer rated. I use a Bushnell .22 LR scope which is capable of a lot of pounding up to a heavy springer. It's also good to have the right mounts. If you are still scared that you'll break your scope, get Dampa-mounts. |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:40 pm |
|
|
| DAS |
| Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 14 Nov 2007 |
| Posts: 15 |
|
|
|
 |
Well,
I decided to try a red dot sight so I bought a Tasco for $38. It doesn't give the precise sight picture that the scope does, but actually, my groups are about the same. I like the dot for hunting.
David |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:13 pm |
|
|
| 23ib0d0n |
| Moderator |

 |
 |
| Joined: 21 May 2007 |
| Posts: 757 |
|
|
|
 |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:21 pm |
|
|
| DAS |
| Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 14 Nov 2007 |
| Posts: 15 |
|
|
|
 |
23,
That 34 really turned out nice!
David |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.
|