Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » Help with sights
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
Help with sights 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:55 pm Reply with quote
DAS
Member
Member
Joined: 14 Nov 2007
Posts: 15
Guys,
I keep hearing about how springers kill scopes, but when I look at what people are uising they seem pretty ordinary, if not down right cheap. What's the real deal? Can I use a regular Bushnel or Tasco? I would like to get either a compact low power variable scope, like 1.5 to 4X or possibly a red dot, but I don't want something that won't hold up. Help me out here.

David
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:49 pm Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 21 May 2007
Posts: 757
I have an old BSA 2x7 AO that is holding up very well over many years on magnum springers. The old Tasco world class were tough too. Not so sure about the newer Tasco, though if I understand correctly, they still have very good warrenty.

For the price, I personally like the BSA stuff.

Leapers had a good reputation a few years ago, so if you run across one a few years old it might be worth looking at.

Tuned springers are also much easier on optics with less 'sproing' and smoother firing behavior. Enjoy that CdT gun, I know I like all of mine.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:57 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
Most scopes these days seem to be constructed, maybe the word isn't "better"- but at least with bushings in both ends to reduce shock. Years ago, scopes for firearms only reinforced the end that would see shock from a regular powder-burner's recoil (i.e. the front), so sometimes springers would ruin them. I haven't heard much of this happening with any reasonable (i.e. not "Made in China" no-name specials) scopes recently. Virtually every scope seems to be "shockproof" these days- which I would have to assume means there are better insulated than they once were.

Of course, if no one ever knows your scope was used on a springer and it goes bad- there is a warranty. Personally, I think it's about time that every manufacturer insulate their scopes completely.

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 4139
Location: Linconshire, ENGLAND
Hi DAS
I have found that most scopes are capable of withstanding the shock of a springer without falling apart, but some have difficulty holding a stable poi, and your constantly adjusting the scope to compensate. All I can say is get a good one.

Al

_________________


View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:20 pm Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2007
Posts: 5714
Location: City of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Depends on the fibrations. If the recoil doesn't hurt, it won't hurt a scope either. Besides, most well made scopes are rated "light-, medium- or heavy-springer rated. I use a Bushnell .22 LR scope which is capable of a lot of pounding up to a heavy springer. It's also good to have the right mounts. If you are still scared that you'll break your scope, get Dampa-mounts.

_________________
BIG GAP
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:40 pm Reply with quote
DAS
Member
Member
Joined: 14 Nov 2007
Posts: 15
Well,
I decided to try a red dot sight so I bought a Tasco for $38. It doesn't give the precise sight picture that the scope does, but actually, my groups are about the same. I like the dot for hunting.

David
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:13 pm Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 21 May 2007
Posts: 757
Red dot works well on this Diana 34.
http://www.airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=425
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:21 pm Reply with quote
DAS
Member
Member
Joined: 14 Nov 2007
Posts: 15
23,
That 34 really turned out nice!

David
View user's profile Send private message
Help with sights 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 1  

  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.