Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Target Shooting: Casual, Fun and Competition » Pop Bottles
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
Pop Bottles 
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:05 am Reply with quote
Slavia
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Posts: 4382
Location: Waseca, Minnesota, USA
One of my favorite targets is a plastic soda bottle on a stick. It gives audible and visible feedback on hits, and reduces the number of trips downrange. You can tell where you're hitting by the way it spins and jumps on the stick.

This weekend I was shooting in a variable gusting wind, and discovered that it also has a built-in wind flag. Just unstick the label from one of the two glue joints and let it flap in the breeze. It will spin on the stick when the wind direction changes.

_________________
¡Listo! ¡Apunte! ¡Fuego!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:57 am Reply with quote
Brutuz
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 12 Jan 2009
Posts: 504
Did the same last weekend, used empty beer cans on a stick Cool

_________________

Crosman [1300 1322 1377 1377c 1389 2289G Mark II SSP250 2300KT 2400KT ]
Sheridan [HB20]
Haenel [III 284]
SMK [XS78 Deluxish]
My vids on Youtube
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 4139
Location: Linconshire, ENGLAND
Try a full bottle, if you don't like the target listen to the music.

Al

http://s154.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid154.photobucket.com/albums/s268/alstonex/Video%202/PopBottle.flv&fs=1&os=1&ap=1

_________________


View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
 
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:20 am Reply with quote
sniper
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Posts: 3752
Location: Star, Idaho
good one al. i like to buy 'em shake 'em up really good and use hollow points, then they explode.

same with cheap soda from the dollar store.

_________________
I believe in gun control,
If there's a gun around I
want to be controlling it.......
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:31 pm Reply with quote
TONBON
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 02 Jan 2009
Posts: 468
I have a horizotal bar and have 3 strings w/ 1 or 2 cans or bottle on each.
no picking up, cause no knocking over. Thumb Up!
cans dont last, plastic bottles give a good thump.
i get em' swingin' for moving shots Smokin' Cool
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:29 am Reply with quote
blas
Member
Member
Joined: 04 Apr 2008
Posts: 19
Location: Estonia
You can also drill a hole in the soda bottle cap, insert a tire valve (http://www.cnautoable.com/passenger_car_tire_valves.htm) into that hole and pump a reasonable amount of air into the bottle.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Posts: 4382
Location: Waseca, Minnesota, USA
Quote:
a reasonable amount of air


I know this one - I checked it out when I was making rockets out of them.

A new lot of empty bottles is burst tested at 125 PSI before being accepted. Fill pressure is 73 PSI.

_________________
¡Listo! ¡Apunte! ¡Fuego!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Buster Bodine
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 22 Apr 2009
Posts: 234
Slavia wrote:
Quote:
a reasonable amount of air


I know this one - I checked it out when I was making rockets out of them.


Making rockets out of them? Saaayyyy...


Got link?
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quote
scroller99
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 03 Dec 2008
Posts: 272
Location: Hopewell Junction
Boy those plastic bottles sure do make a boom when you blow them up with a compressor! it shook the building! Shocked

_________________
crosman2250 xt
crosman 1077
crosman modded 2240
benji 392
drozd bumble bee
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:23 am Reply with quote
Slavia
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Posts: 4382
Location: Waseca, Minnesota, USA
Quote:
Making rockets out of them? Saaayyyy...


Got link?


There are a lot of variations on the theme out there - this one looks about the simplest:
http://www.pbs.org/kcet/wiredscience/video/330-geekdad_soda_bottle_water_rocket.html

These things lift off with a lot of force, so a secure launch pad and adult supervision is required. 40 PSI will give great results, and is within the range of a hand pump. It's almost impossible to stay dry with these things, but they are wonderful on a hot summer day.

Some folks add tail fins and nose cones to make them fly straighter, but just the plain bottle will work. They will stabilize when the center of lateral pressure is one bottle diameter aft of the center of mass. The center of pressure can be approximated by laying the rocket on some graph paper with a light above, and tracing the shadow. Then count squares until you get to the middle of the area.

What does this have to do with airgun targets? Try to hit the little rascal while it's moving - it will be a challenge.

_________________
¡Listo! ¡Apunte! ¡Fuego!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:02 pm Reply with quote
bltefft
Member
Member
Joined: 13 Jun 2009
Posts: 13
I got those smaller size plastic coke bottles, fill 3/4 with water and freeze them.

I made a hanger with a string hanging down. Remove the cap, insert string, put cap back on and hang it.

Fun to shoot.

Hack
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:58 pm Reply with quote
SnowBunny
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 21 Jun 2009
Posts: 158
What I do is I Duct tape the soda bottles with the back end facing me on a shelf on my fence. After doing said process I get out my jig saw and saw a hole between the four too six posts on the bottom. After which I get about 10 yards back and shoot into the holes, its fun, and its a reliable pellet trap, its very audible with the pellet or bb goes in, and they will stay in for recollection. I truely enjoy shooting this way, you should try it. If requested I will take and post pictures.

_________________
I am a 14-year-old child who should not have been afforded the courtesy of being allowed to post on this forum.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Dust
Member
Member
Joined: 31 May 2009
Posts: 77
Location: Mito, Japan & Georgetown, Texas
SnowBunny wrote:
What I do is I Duct tape the soda bottles with the back end facing me on a shelf on my fence. After doing said process I get out my jig saw and saw a hole between the four too six posts on the bottom. After which I get about 10 yards back and shoot into the holes, its fun, and its a reliable pellet trap, its very audible with the pellet or bb goes in, and they will stay in for recollection. I truely enjoy shooting this way, you should try it. If requested I will take and post pictures.


I am not quite seeing it, I would request pics please.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote
SnowBunny
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 21 Jun 2009
Posts: 158
Dust wrote:
SnowBunny wrote:
What I do is I Duct tape the soda bottles with the back end facing me on a shelf on my fence. After doing said process I get out my jig saw and saw a hole between the four too six posts on the bottom. After which I get about 10 yards back and shoot into the holes, its fun, and its a reliable pellet trap, its very audible with the pellet or bb goes in, and they will stay in for recollection. I truely enjoy shooting this way, you should try it. If requested I will take and post pictures.


I am not quite seeing it, I would request pics please.


Okay, stand by for pics I need to buy a 2 litter lol.

_________________
I am a 14-year-old child who should not have been afforded the courtesy of being allowed to post on this forum.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:15 pm Reply with quote
SnowBunny
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 21 Jun 2009
Posts: 158
Gone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Pop Bottles 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Target Shooting: Casual, Fun and Competition
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 1  

  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.