 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | Pop Bottles |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:05 am |
|
|
| Slavia |
| Moderator |

 |
 |
| Joined: 31 Mar 2008 |
| Posts: 4382 |
| Location: Waseca, Minnesota, USA |
|
|
 |
One of my favorite targets is a plastic soda bottle on a stick. It gives audible and visible feedback on hits, and reduces the number of trips downrange. You can tell where you're hitting by the way it spins and jumps on the stick.
This weekend I was shooting in a variable gusting wind, and discovered that it also has a built-in wind flag. Just unstick the label from one of the two glue joints and let it flap in the breeze. It will spin on the stick when the wind direction changes. |
|
_________________
¡Listo! ¡Apunte! ¡Fuego! |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:57 am |
|
|
| Brutuz |
| Senior Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 12 Jan 2009 |
| Posts: 504 |
|
|
|
 |
Did the same last weekend, used empty beer cans on a stick  |
|
_________________
Crosman [1300 1322 1377 1377c 1389 2289G Mark II SSP250 2300KT 2400KT ]
Sheridan [HB20]
Haenel [III 284]
SMK [XS78 Deluxish]
My vids on Youtube |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:35 pm |
|
|
| Alstone |
| Moderator & Site Supporter |

 |
 |
| Joined: 01 Mar 2007 |
| Posts: 4139 |
| Location: Linconshire, ENGLAND |
|
|
 |
|
_________________
 |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:20 am |
|
|
| sniper |
| Silver Status Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 28 Nov 2008 |
| Posts: 3752 |
| Location: Star, Idaho |
|
|
 |
good one al. i like to buy 'em shake 'em up really good and use hollow points, then they explode.
same with cheap soda from the dollar store. |
|
_________________ I believe in gun control,
If there's a gun around I
want to be controlling it....... |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:31 pm |
|
|
| TONBON |
| Veteran Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 02 Jan 2009 |
| Posts: 468 |
|
|
|
 |
I have a horizotal bar and have 3 strings w/ 1 or 2 cans or bottle on each.
no picking up, cause no knocking over.
cans dont last, plastic bottles give a good thump.
i get em' swingin' for moving shots  |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:29 am |
|
|
| blas |
| Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 04 Apr 2008 |
| Posts: 19 |
| Location: Estonia |
|
|
 |
| You can also drill a hole in the soda bottle cap, insert a tire valve (http://www.cnautoable.com/passenger_car_tire_valves.htm) into that hole and pump a reasonable amount of air into the bottle. |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:36 pm |
|
|
| Slavia |
| Moderator |

 |
 |
| Joined: 31 Mar 2008 |
| Posts: 4382 |
| Location: Waseca, Minnesota, USA |
|
|
 |
| Quote: |
| a reasonable amount of air |
I know this one - I checked it out when I was making rockets out of them.
A new lot of empty bottles is burst tested at 125 PSI before being accepted. Fill pressure is 73 PSI. |
|
_________________
¡Listo! ¡Apunte! ¡Fuego! |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:16 pm |
|
|
| Buster Bodine |
| Veteran Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 22 Apr 2009 |
| Posts: 234 |
|
|
|
 |
| Slavia wrote: |
| Quote: |
| a reasonable amount of air |
I know this one - I checked it out when I was making rockets out of them. |
Making rockets out of them? Saaayyyy...
Got link? |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:44 pm |
|
|
| scroller99 |
| Veteran Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 03 Dec 2008 |
| Posts: 272 |
| Location: Hopewell Junction |
|
|
 |
Boy those plastic bottles sure do make a boom when you blow them up with a compressor! it shook the building!  |
|
_________________ crosman2250 xt
crosman 1077
crosman modded 2240
benji 392
drozd bumble bee |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:23 am |
|
|
| Slavia |
| Moderator |

 |
 |
| Joined: 31 Mar 2008 |
| Posts: 4382 |
| Location: Waseca, Minnesota, USA |
|
|
 |
| Quote: |
Making rockets out of them? Saaayyyy...
Got link? |
There are a lot of variations on the theme out there - this one looks about the simplest:
http://www.pbs.org/kcet/wiredscience/video/330-geekdad_soda_bottle_water_rocket.html
These things lift off with a lot of force, so a secure launch pad and adult supervision is required. 40 PSI will give great results, and is within the range of a hand pump. It's almost impossible to stay dry with these things, but they are wonderful on a hot summer day.
Some folks add tail fins and nose cones to make them fly straighter, but just the plain bottle will work. They will stabilize when the center of lateral pressure is one bottle diameter aft of the center of mass. The center of pressure can be approximated by laying the rocket on some graph paper with a light above, and tracing the shadow. Then count squares until you get to the middle of the area.
What does this have to do with airgun targets? Try to hit the little rascal while it's moving - it will be a challenge. |
|
_________________
¡Listo! ¡Apunte! ¡Fuego! |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:02 pm |
|
|
| bltefft |
| Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 13 Jun 2009 |
| Posts: 13 |
|
|
|
 |
I got those smaller size plastic coke bottles, fill 3/4 with water and freeze them.
I made a hanger with a string hanging down. Remove the cap, insert string, put cap back on and hang it.
Fun to shoot.
Hack |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:58 pm |
|
|
| SnowBunny |
| Veteran Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 21 Jun 2009 |
| Posts: 158 |
|
|
|
 |
| What I do is I Duct tape the soda bottles with the back end facing me on a shelf on my fence. After doing said process I get out my jig saw and saw a hole between the four too six posts on the bottom. After which I get about 10 yards back and shoot into the holes, its fun, and its a reliable pellet trap, its very audible with the pellet or bb goes in, and they will stay in for recollection. I truely enjoy shooting this way, you should try it. If requested I will take and post pictures. |
|
_________________ I am a 14-year-old child who should not have been afforded the courtesy of being allowed to post on this forum. |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:31 pm |
|
|
| Dust |
| Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 31 May 2009 |
| Posts: 77 |
| Location: Mito, Japan & Georgetown, Texas |
|
|
 |
| SnowBunny wrote: |
| What I do is I Duct tape the soda bottles with the back end facing me on a shelf on my fence. After doing said process I get out my jig saw and saw a hole between the four too six posts on the bottom. After which I get about 10 yards back and shoot into the holes, its fun, and its a reliable pellet trap, its very audible with the pellet or bb goes in, and they will stay in for recollection. I truely enjoy shooting this way, you should try it. If requested I will take and post pictures. |
I am not quite seeing it, I would request pics please. |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:10 pm |
|
|
| SnowBunny |
| Veteran Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 21 Jun 2009 |
| Posts: 158 |
|
|
|
 |
| Dust wrote: |
| SnowBunny wrote: |
| What I do is I Duct tape the soda bottles with the back end facing me on a shelf on my fence. After doing said process I get out my jig saw and saw a hole between the four too six posts on the bottom. After which I get about 10 yards back and shoot into the holes, its fun, and its a reliable pellet trap, its very audible with the pellet or bb goes in, and they will stay in for recollection. I truely enjoy shooting this way, you should try it. If requested I will take and post pictures. |
I am not quite seeing it, I would request pics please. |
Okay, stand by for pics I need to buy a 2 litter lol. |
|
_________________ I am a 14-year-old child who should not have been afforded the courtesy of being allowed to post on this forum. |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:15 pm |
|
|
| SnowBunny |
| Veteran Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 21 Jun 2009 |
| Posts: 158 |
|
|
|
 |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.
|