Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » Daisy 747 / Good choice for beginner? Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
Daisy 747 / Good choice for beginner? 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:24 am Reply with quote
Jim McArthur
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 03 Sep 2007
Posts: 151
Location: New Orleans, LA, USA
I'm new to the world of airgunning though I have a little plinking experience with smokeless pistols. I'm trying to decide on my first pistol and have heard good things about the Daisy 747; also some bad things ("it leaks air").

Any thoughts?

Jim

_________________
"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:47 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 4139
Location: Linconshire, ENGLAND
Hi Jim
Welcome to the site, the daisy 747 appeares to be good value for the money, I have only fired a 747 once and that was a while ago, but from what I can remember it was a nice and well finished gun.

If you want a good write up on the Daisy have a look here


http://www.ihmsa.com/shooting_the_daisy_747.htm

Al
View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:47 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
I've never used an Avanti 747 myself, but typically the Daisy Avanti guns are of reasonable quality.

Being a pumper- obviously it's cheaper to use in the long-run than a Co² gun would be, but I wonder if that 17lbs of pump effort might get old pretty fast- this would be one gun I would want to be able to "test" before buying because of that.

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Jim McArthur
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 03 Sep 2007
Posts: 151
Location: New Orleans, LA, USA
Alstone wrote:
Hi Jim
Welcome to the site, the daisy 747 appeares to be good value for the money, I have only fired a 747 once and that was a while ago, but from what I can remember it was a nice and well finished gun.

If you want a good write up on the Daisy have a look here


http://www.ihmsa.com/shooting_the_daisy_747.htm

Al


Thank you, Alstone, the was a great site! Smile

Jim

_________________
"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Jim McArthur
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 03 Sep 2007
Posts: 151
Location: New Orleans, LA, USA
AirGunEric wrote:
I've never used an Avanti 747 myself, but typically the Daisy Avanti guns are of reasonable quality.

Being a pumper- obviously it's cheaper to use in the long-run than a Co² gun would be, but I wonder if that 17lbs of pump effort might get old pretty fast- this would be one gun I would want to be able to "test" before buying because of that.


Good point, Eric: I'm lazy by nature, so that's something for me especially to keep in mind! Mr. Green

Can you recommend any other that's easier to pump?

Jim

_________________
"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:21 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
Well- if you want an air/pump gun, and in .177 cal. You could think of the Crosman 1377:

http://www.pyramydair.com/p/crosman-1377-pump-pistol.shtml

As for it's accuracy- that I can't tell you. It is a multi-stroke pneumatic, so you can adjust the power output based on your shooting conditions (10 pumps is around 600fps with what would be 5.5gr pellets most likely, so it's maximum output is around 4.4fpe- which is still pretty good). If you need/want less output for 10m target shooting- just pump it less. I bet it also puts out a lot less noise than something like a 2240.

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Maybe... 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Jim McArthur
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 03 Sep 2007
Posts: 151
Location: New Orleans, LA, USA
Sounds like it might be a good all around choice for a beginner's pistol.

Does it pump by working the bolt?

Can left handed grips be installed?

Jim

_________________
"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 4139
Location: Linconshire, ENGLAND
Jim after reading your comments on what you would like, how about a Weihrauch HW 40 PCA .177 , ambidextrous single pump, about 410 fps and less than $150.00.

I have used one of these frequently and they are consistant with there power output and very accurate.

Have a look here.

http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/model.pl?model_id=47

Al
View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:37 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
Hmm- that Weihrauch looks like a nice piece- and looks like it will do everything you want as-is.

The 1377 pumps by moving the forearm (the brown part near the muzzle) out and in to pump. I'm sure there must be left-handed grips- but I don't have a price reference or source handy.

Really- perhaps it comes down to budget as well- if I were a pistol fan, I'd probably be thinking about that Weihrauch. If I just wanted something to fiddle with to refine my tastes a bit- that 1377 would probably be a good trial gun that isn't too pricey.

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Jim McArthur
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 03 Sep 2007
Posts: 151
Location: New Orleans, LA, USA
The Weihrauch sounds like a good choice! They're out of stock at Pyramid, though: I put my name on the "notify me when in stock" list.

Thanks for all the info! Smile

Jim

_________________
"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:02 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
You can try other vendors for stock- for example Airguns of Arizona or Compasseco might have them.

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:06 pm Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 21 May 2007
Posts: 757
http://home.att.net/~jjaxelrod/airarms.html
Jay Axlerod tunes several types of pistols for a very reasonable price, and specializes in putting together the 747 for match shooting. He has won several IHMSA matches with a 747 and for the price . . . hard to beat. Wink
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 4139
Location: Linconshire, ENGLAND
By the way Jim, the Weihrauch is also sold in the USA as the Beeman p3 or the Marksman 2004.

Al
View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Narrowing my choices 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Jim McArthur
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 03 Sep 2007
Posts: 151
Location: New Orleans, LA, USA
I'm working this like a process of elimination.

I don't want a CO2 or a PCP since I want the gun to be self-contained for its power.

I'm leery about a multi-stroke pneumatic, as I understand they tend to be inaccurate. But I haven't ruled them out either.

Strongest choice is betwen a single stroke pneumatic vs. a spring piston. And I hear that single stroke pneumatics are more accurate, as a type, than spring pistons, but that spring pistons are quieter in use than the single stroke pneumatics.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? Question

Jim

_________________
"The fight's not over while there's a shot in the locker!"
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:06 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
Noise level of a gun is often more a function of power and air movement. In a very low-powered gun (i.e. Airsoft-type level of 200-300fps) I think a spring gun would be the noisiest due to the mechanics involved- but once you climb upwards the noise level of each type will get higher and higher as more gas is pushed through the same sized hole- i.e. the main source of noise coming out will not be mechanical, but propellant release.

For a 400-ish fps pistol- the noise factor probably isn't something to worry too much about- but a Co² gun could be noisier than the others I would say, because if not all the Co² expands before the pellet reaches the end of the barrel, the gas expansion will happen when it hits open space- making more noise. The same might be true for a compressed air gun- but I think it should be slightly less noisy than Co² if all other things are equal.

Anybody around here with all three types of pistol (air, Co² and spring) that has made a first-hand, back-to-back comparison?

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Daisy 747 / Good choice for beginner? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 2  
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.