Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Introduce Yourself » new member need advice
new member need advice 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:18 pm Reply with quote
beartown
I am a 71 year old female, in Canada, who wants to get an airgun for pest control. I have been shooting since my teens, 22 rim-fire for woodchucks, rats, etc. but mostly I'm a shotgun shooter and waterfowl hunter. We live in a rural area so noise isn't a big problem but I would prefer not to disturb the neighbor and his young children.

I have lost quite a bit of my strength over the years but am still fairly active. Been looking at break barrel air rifles but wonder how many years I would be able to cock one easily. My budget runs to around $200 max and cheaper would be better.

Starlings and English sparrows would be the main pests but I would like to be able to deal with the occasional cottontail that destroys the small fruit trees and skunks or rats in the chicken coop.

What would be my best bet for a decent air rifle?

Adrienne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:19 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Do you have a firearms license, or are you going to have to go with a "detuned" rifle?

The issue is going to be power- a detuned rifle can take down squirrels and small-ish birds, not much else.

With a budget of $200.00, break-barrels being 'out' and not clear on whether or not you have a firearms license, the question cannot be answered very well.

If you have a firearms license, a budget of $200.00 and break-barrels are out- I would suggest going with a Savage .22LR- little effort to shoot it, fits the budget.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:12 am Reply with quote
beartown
Thank you for the reply. I do have a PAL, no problem there. Also have a .22 with scope and an old one with no sights for shooting rat shot.

Just wanted to be able to practice more cheaply and cut down on the noise. The neighbour's kids think bunnies are cute and love barn pigeons. Otherwise, I'd be out there with the 12 gauge.

Thanks again. Guess I'll have to wait for sales or buy second hand.

Adrienne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Mentolio
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hatsan Striker Edge in .22, Browning Leverage in .22 (heavy under lever springer marketed by Umarex), or any Crosman should do you (they have plenty of models below 200 bucks. Crosman is currently clearing out Benjamin Trail NP All Weather models for 120 bucks with scope!). I've taken animals as large as woodchuck with my Crosman .177 NP, as well as my Striker at ranges of 30 yards or less). I would suggest staying away from Nitro Piston guns, as they tend to be more difficult to cock than a steel spring powered gun. Expect crappy triggers and some needed TLC with any of the above, but that's just par for the course with the low end stuff.
In addition: do your research regarding artillery hold. I've been shooting for over 20 years, and couldn't get a springer to group well at any range using traditional rifle techniques. It sounds silly saying this to someone used to shotguns, but shooting sprinters accurately is difficult due to their relatively low velocity and double recoil. The gun actually recoils backwards first (normally, like what you're used to), and then forward at the end of its stroke (not like your used to). All this before the pellet leaves the barrel!
All that said, once you "get it," you've "got it," and you'll be amazed at how much fun (and effective) one of these buggers can be. Best of luck!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:29 pm Reply with quote
beartown
Thank you for all the information. Prices, unfortunately, are much higher here in Canada. The recommendations are appreciated.

Adrienne
new member need advice 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Introduce Yourself