Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Introduce Yourself » Smooth bore air guns.
Smooth bore air guns. 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote
dvybro
I am from the island of Trinidad in the Caribbean. In my country we can only own smooth bore air rifles of .177 caliber. We are at the mercy of the local dealers who charge us up to 3-400 percent of the cost of the same gun in the USA.
We are now lobbying to have the law changed but it is an uphill battle. If there are anyone who can provide information on the difference between a smooth bore and a spiral bore air gun of .177 caliber, please let me know.
Thank you.
Re: Smooth bore air guns. 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:00 am Reply with quote
Bob La Londe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
dvybro wrote:
I am from the island of Trinidad in the Caribbean. In my country we can only own smooth bore air rifles of .177 caliber. We are at the mercy of the local dealers who charge us up to 3-400 percent of the cost of the same gun in the USA.
We are now lobbying to have the law changed but it is an uphill battle. If there are anyone who can provide information on the difference between a smooth bore and a spiral bore air gun of .177 caliber, please let me know.
Thank you.

A rifled bore has grooves cut in the barrel which causes the pellet to spin stabilize in flight giving you better accuracy out to further ranges.

Smooth bore is just that. Smooth.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote
dvybro
Bob La Londe wrote:
dvybro wrote:
Thank you.

A rifled bore has grooves cut in the barrel which causes the pellet to spin stabilize in flight giving you better accuracy out to further ranges.

We are told that spiral bore air guns can cause more damage than a smooth bore air gun, therefore we must obtain a firearm users licence (which is almost impossible to get)in order to purchase a spiral bore. Let us use 2 Benjamin Marauder .177 caliber. One is smooth and the other spiral and shooting at a rabbit 20 yards away. Which air gun will do more damage to the animal?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Bob La Londe
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
dvybro wrote:
Bob La Londe wrote:
dvybro wrote:
Thank you.

We are told that spiral bore air guns can cause more damage than a smooth bore air gun, therefore we must obtain a firearm users licence (which is almost impossible to get)in order to purchase a spiral bore. Let us use 2 Benjamin Marauder .177 caliber. One is smooth and the other spiral and shooting at a rabbit 20 yards away. Which air gun will do more damage to the animal?

Everything else being equal I can't see where one would cause more damage than the other. Same pellet / same speed / same energy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote
mod90
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Check your pm bro Smile

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Introduce Yourself