Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Pellets/Ammo » Destroyers To Crosman Ultra Mags
Destroyers To Crosman Ultra Mags 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:10 pm Reply with quote
tommytanker
I am trying the Crosman Premier Ultra Magnum .177 Cal, 10.5 Grains, I have been using Crosman destroyers. Immediately I noticed the difference when loading them very tight compared to destroyer pellets.

Is this normal.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:32 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
All pellets are differently sized- one might be 4.52mm, another 4.49mm- depends on the pellet. You really can't compare "Destroyers" to anything, they are a "gimmick" pellet and based on previously experience, are not sized consistently.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:21 pm Reply with quote
tommytanker
Interesting,

The destroyer quality was mixed, a tight one, next one loose etc. the mags appear to be all tighter fits.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:28 pm Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
What are Ultra mags? Are those the new ones with the plastic skirts? I couldn't get a good enough pattern out of the destroyers to use them for hunting. I may have well been using BBs.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:11 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
No, these are the heavier domed units that have been around for years- notice the 10.65gr weight, as compared to the usual Crosman 7.9gr.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 5:13 am Reply with quote
tommytanker
Opinions needed, I have now heard that using of the 10.5 grain pellet will wear spring out prematurely and to use them sparingly.

Well compared to many I am a definitely a rookie at this stuff, but how do you switch from one pellet to another to use it sparingly. Browsing through forum I have read each pellet change means resighting scope etc. (makes sense) I thought and then bought 1000 ultra mags for new Gamo Stalker and thought it would be beneficial and actually more efficient to use just one size pellet (only one).

I have a Whisper and a Quest that have pretty much strictly been on the destroyer diet.

The Quest is at least 5 yrs old and probably does not have 1000 pellets shot through it, purchased strictly for pest problem and did/does a very good job.

Next chapter, I tried out the ultra mags in all 3 rifles and they are snug loading in all 3, one pellet when forcing it down actually had the lip bend so I did get it out and decided the 10.5s are not for me. I would rather not have to force pellets in.

The destroyer pellets drop right in, the crosman premiere lights sound like a pellet to investigate.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:07 am Reply with quote
Slavia
Quote:
I have now heard that using of the 10.5 grain pellet will wear spring out prematurely and to use them sparingly.

I have read opinions by self-professed experts on both sides. There is a third camp that says treat the spring as a wear item, shoot what you want, and replace it when it breaks.

My own experience? I have a G1 (same platform as the Quest). It's my 100 yard gun, and shoots nothing but Ultramags. The spring did indeed break after a year, but the replacement has gone several years without failure. Eric has mentioned here that Chinese springs have improved in the last several years - maybe I just had a bad spring. Anyway, the Ultramags give the smoothest shot cycle and are the most accurate, so I'll continue to use them.

Quote:
I tried out the ultra mags in all 3 rifles and they are snug loading in all 3

If the Ultramags give you the results you want (aside from the snugness) then you might consider a seating tool.

Quote:
thought it would be beneficial and actually more efficient to use just one size pellet

Great idea if the guns cooperate, but each gun can have its own definite preference.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:55 am Reply with quote
tommytanker
Ok next step, on my other 2 rifles (Whisper/Quest) I have been using Crosman destroyers with good results. Need opinions on JSB Diabolo EXACT .177 Caliber (8.4 grain, I do understand the rifle liking pellet program just would like to try the JSB cause of some good reviews I read elsewhere. These would be used on IGT Stalker only at 1st.

At 15 yds I hit quarter size dots regularly with other 2 rifles/Destroyer pairings. Just curious as to what others think of JSB's. 15 to 20 yards is pretty much distance that I use all rifles for pest elimination.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:53 pm Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I've used the diablos before. They are a good pellet. I just can't afford to order them from pyramyidair.com anymore. My guns are on a walmart diet. lol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:07 pm Reply with quote
tommytanker
Yes they are pricy, for kicks I priced the destroyers at Pyramid and they were 4.95 for 250 but the shpg was 7.99. I can order them from Amazon for 6.47 and free shpg. The JSBs on Amazon I think are 17.60 for 500 free shpg

I like the Amazon/Prime program the Prime costs 75.00 yearly but stuff gets to you free in 2 days. Amazon you can read reviews from many consumers, like that too.

Tomorrow gonna start Stalker with destroyers if they do as well with it I will keep all 3 on them. If you hit a varmint they do tear them up.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Mentolio
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
JSB Exact domed pellets are pretty much my "go to" pellets in all my airguns, when I need consistent accuracy. While a bit pricey, JSBs are consistent in fit, and group well in my Browning Leverage (which isn't very "pellet or hold sensitive") and my Crosman Vantage NP (which is the very definition of pellet AND hold sensitivity!). While I still shoot destroyers, every 10 shot group has at least one "flyer." Sometimes it's me, but other times I'm sure it's the pellet. It seems the odd Destroyer that is a "tighter" fit, usually ends up ruining my group.
Destroyers To Crosman Ultra Mags 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Pellets/Ammo