Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting » Is this safe to eat?
Is this safe to eat? 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote
dr7197
I know this might seem silly, but here it goes.... It's been quite cold over the past 24 hours. Last night it dipped down into the high teens, not over 20 degrees f today.

Shot a squirrel yesterday, around 2
;30 pm. Not a good shot (darn scope problems). Watched it fall from the tree, and run to another and into a hole, where it stayed (at least for the next 45 minutes or so, when I gave up waiting for it to re-emerge for a finishing shot).

This afternoon, around 2:15, my son was walking around the tree it holed up, he found the expired squirrel on the ground.

Question: how safe would it be to eat this nutter? It's basically frozen, so.... Not yet sure where it was hit, but if it wasn't a gut shot (don't think it was because he said it was bleeding from the nose...) Assuming that its been down for 20 hrs or so, and I won't be able to get to it for another few hours. People are eating road-kill in the summer time, so I can't imagine this would be to bad... your thoughts?

Benjamin Discovery .22

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Airhead
if the meat is froozen, i personally dont see anything wrong! As long as the meat did have time to rought is should be good to eat.

Benjamin Classsic
Walthers CP Sport

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Make sure it is the squirrel you shot before doing anything. Don't want to eat a dead rabid one and then find the one you shot later, still in the tree.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Mark5043
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
AirGunEric wrote:
Make sure it is the squirrel you shot before doing anything. Don't want to eat a dead rabid one and then find the one you shot later, still in the tree.

What he said I think it's just fine that you eat the squirrel you shot...That being said,as a precaution,"regardless of any other circumstances" I always look at the animals liver,as this is a good indication of it's overall health.Look for a bright healthy organ.If the liver shows any abnormalities such as white spots etc...chuck it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:42 pm Reply with quote
dr7197
Thanks for the info! Well, I got home and checked it over. Not frozen solid, but well refridgerated!

When I shot it, I was aiming for the head, just below the ear. It appears that the pellet entered on the right side of the snout, almost the end of its nose, and came out the other side, below the eye. Apparently, didn't reach enough into the fuse box for an immediate kill. I never feel good about the animal suffering... thankful that we found it and it won't go to waste.

I've since removed the scope on the RWS 350, and re-installed the factory iron sights. I've never shot this with the open sights until after this happenend yesterday. I cannot believe how accurate this gun is now! I now know that it wasn't me being a terrible shot, or that there was something wrong with the gun. It was definately the scope(s) that I had that was causing the inaccuracies. Now, I can get nickle and dime sized groups on paper @ 30 and 40 yards. The only problem is that my eye sight "ain't what it used to be", and its very hard to see a small target at distance. I guess now I'll have to wait until I've got a 20-25 yard shot before I pull the trigger.

All the vitals looked good; no liver spots, pink lungs, etc. The meat did not have any strange smell, so we'll take our chances and include it in the next squirrel creole casserole!

Benjamin Discovery .22

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Mark5043
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
dr7197 wrote:

I never feel good about the animal suffering... thankful that we found it and it won't go to waste.

!
That's a great attitude to have... Wink
Enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I like mine in a honey glaze and broiled. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Mark5043
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
oddtodd wrote:

That works.. Mr. Green

Next time around I'm thinking of something along the Asian line.

Peking squirrel,sweet&sour squirrel?.....sounds damn good... Razz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:09 pm Reply with quote
shawnhu
Glad that your gun is shooting well, and more importantly, you're not a horrible shot!

We should go hunting sometime if you're around the NYC area.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:44 am Reply with quote
mod90
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
dr7197 wrote:

The only problem is that my eye sight "ain't what it used to be", and its very hard to see a small target at distance.

Old age catching up to you? Do what I do.
RUN FASTER Laughing

But still, its good to know your gun works the way it should & its not your aim. Nothing frustrates an air gunner like accuracy issues.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
dr7197
oddtodd wrote:

That sounds tasty! Recipe????

Benjamin Discovery .22

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:40 am Reply with quote
jlwilliams
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A good way to test a dead animal is to pinkch some fur and tug on it. If the fur pulls out of the skin, it's decomposing enough that you shouldn't eat it. If the skin holds the fur, it's probably fine.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:54 pm Reply with quote
toadmyster223
I'm sure most people eat plenty of processed garbage that is poisoning them far worse than a squirrel from their back yard will.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Mentolio
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey dr7197, could your scope have been "walking?" My Crosman Nitro Piston "springer" had HORRIBLE accuracy problems, until I noticed that the scope was moving...both the mounts on the receiver AND even the scope within its rings. I tried a few different ring combos (and am still looking for the "right one"), and found that when I could lock that sucker down tight enough, it was surprisingly accurate, even with the crappy scope it came with (which self destructed shortly after I got it "locked down"). Don't give up on the scope. My eye sight ain't so great either. I couldn't let a pellet go, confident that it would be a kill shot at greater than 15 yards, with this rifles iron sights. Gimme a scope that doesn't move (or break on the 10th shot), and I'll put a pellet right behind the eye at 30+ yards.

Hey, how was that frozen squirrel, anyway?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:29 am Reply with quote
dr7197
Mentolio wrote:
Hey dr7197, could your scope have been "walking?" My Crosman Nitro Piston "springer" had HORRIBLE accuracy problems, until I noticed that the scope was moving...both the mounts on the receiver AND even the scope within its rings. I tried a few different ring combos (and am still looking for the "right one"), and found that when I could lock that sucker down tight enough, it was surprisingly accurate, even with the crappy scope it came with (which self destructed shortly after I got it "locked down"). Don't give up on the scope. My eye sight ain't so great either. I couldn't let a pellet go, confident that it would be a kill shot at greater than 15 yards, with this rifles iron sights. Gimme a scope that doesn't move (or break on the 10th shot), and I'll put a pellet right behind the eye at 30+ yards.

Hey, how was that frozen squirrel, anyway?

Thanks for the feedback.. It could've been moving around, but I solved the problem. I use a 22 Disco now (with a scope). I still shoot the RWS, but don't use a scope anymore on it, just seems to destroy them... The squirrel was as tasty as any other!

Benjamin Discovery .22
Is this safe to eat? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting