Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting » Groundhogs with my .177
Groundhogs with my .177 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Mentolio
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm currently working on dispatching a family of groundhogs with my Vantage NP .177, using Crosman Destroyer hollow points, and more recently, Crosman Premium round-nose hollow points. The two I've taken were both close range (within 20 yards), and were head shots (between the eye and ear). Both flopped-around and made some noise, but didn't run anywhere, and were dispatched quickly with a follow up shot. I've had to pass on several shots where I didn't have the head, or enough of it that I felt confident of a clean kill. I guess my question is this: is it worth trying pointed pellets on a body shot (theoretically better/deeper penetration?). There have been a few times that while I didn't have the head, I could have planted one right behind the shoulder for a lung/heart shot. My rifle doesn't really like the pointed pellets i've tried (large groups with fliers), but might be accurate enough for a flank-shot. I do not, however, want to clip one and have it run back to it's hole to suffer and die. Anyone try a .177, pointed pellet, lung/body shot, on something as big as a groundhog?

On an aside, I'm saving for a Benji-Marauder in .22 or .25, but it'll be a while. If I could afford it now, I suspect the above question would be moot, and the groundhogs would be death with...thanx in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:26 am Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
On something that big, if you are not confident of a brain shot, don't try it. They have a very thick hide with lots of fat. Of course a maurauder will take a hear/tlung shot, at least from my 22. disco I used to own. a .177 just doesn't have the guts. Of course if you have the .22 NP it would be a hard shot to kill with, but it could be done. I've done it with my Titan with a full on broadsides. Nothing less though. Just remember for every one you see above ground there's 4 underground.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:30 pm Reply with quote
grizzlyadams
the 177 is marginal at best for chucks. stick to the brain shots. if you are getting within 20 yds and your gun has good power. try premier heavy 10.5 or kodiaks. these guys are my main quarry in the warm months and i usually kill about 150 a year between airguns and powderburning guns. keep saving for that m-rod and you will be golden before you know it! Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:19 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Keep it under 20 yards and in the head. With a gun of the same fpe, maybe a few more (like yours) in .22, you might get out to 30-35 yards.

You need more power to get out to like 50 yards, something in the range of 20fpe.

Body shots could be done upwards of 25fpe, with a .22 or larger.

Just remember one key thing... you're info says you're in NJ. Realize what exactly you are doing, even though what happens on the farm stays on the farm.

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.
Groundhogs with my .177 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting