Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting » pest control in the suburbs Goto page Previous  1, 2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:25 pm Reply with quote
twalter
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I found these links

http://nwco.net/03-LegalIssues/3-3-5-FirearmOrdinances.asp

http://nwco.net/03-LegalIssues/3-2-4-WhatsLeft.asp

Im upstate in the greater Capital District and have been over run with chipmunks and very aggressive squirrels. I have been nailing an occasional squirrel here and there as they fall under the exclusion of a pest. Even when I trap them in the havahart its the law that I have to off them anyhow....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Jr. Squirreler
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I live in Upstate New York, and since Air Guns have been legalized for hunting, I havent really had to many problems regarding the law. You may just want to buy a quieter Air Rifle just to be safe.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:12 am Reply with quote
mch441
were talking about an airgun for christ sakes ,there not all that loud make a little bit of a pop you know your neighbors will they care or wont they ,where i live ive gotten away with shooting skunks with a varmint rifle and get nothing more then my balls broke for stinking up the neighborhood.dont advertise what your doing ,make sure what ever your shooting at is on the ground ,dont want to break any windows and i think youll be fine .no one will ever know and if they do find out they probably wont care

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:15 pm Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Most of my neighbors like the fact that I keep the nuisance animals down. I have permission to go n their properties to pick up dead animals and I have a couple who will invite me over for a beer and, "Oh, can you bring your BB gun?" lol I've tried to explain to a lot of people that it isn't a BB gun, but all they can remember is their red ryder from when they were kids. lol

I get some amazing kill numbers just from cleaning out bird feeders for people. Starlings are just some nasty birds to deal with in my neighborhood. There is a cornfield right behind us and that is where they mostly come from. This year it's corn anyway. They are not as bad when they are growing beans.

Between, my starling cleanout, and my dogs eating all of the ground animals, it's a nice clean place to live, except for the occasional skunk. We are just inside the city limits and the city is not that big. 500 feet and you are in the county. It's a nice place to live if you like being outdoors. It could be a lot worse. I have one neighbor that is pissy about my shooting and she lives right next door, so I only shoot when she is at work. Twisted Evil Faq-U

I can't wait till we build our new house out in the country though. It will be nice to walk out the back door and shoot at any varmint I want without having to worry about breaking a window or getting the cops called on me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:37 am Reply with quote
PennyFlory
If you were facing such problems and they were troubling you a lot you should have called a Pest control Exterminator they would have solved your problem rather going for such things.

--I AM A SPAMMER AND HAVE BEEN DELETED--

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:50 am Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Not everyone can afford to hire a company to keep rabbits out of thier garden. So long as its safe and legal where one is, I see no problem with dispatching the excess population, humanely, through shooting or live trapping. Idea

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:26 am Reply with quote
jamesclarke160
PennyFlory wrote:
If you were facing such problems and they were troubling you a lot you should have called a Pest control Exterminator they would have solved your problem rather going for such things.

--I AM A SPAMMER AND HAVE BEEN DELETED--

Proper fencing does bring right results but there has to be expert guidance while installing fencing. Pest control can be done by creative DIY methods but in extreme cases we must take help of professional services

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:38 am Reply with quote
whm1974
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Quote:
I see no problem with dispatching the excess population, humanely, through shooting or live trapping.

I'll go with shooting them. What would you do with a live rabbit if you caught one? Release it in some PETA member's backyard?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:54 am Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
jamesclarke160 wrote:
Proper fencing does bring right results but there has to be expert guidance while installing fencing. Pest control can be done by creative DIY methods but in extreme cases we must take help of professional services

A well maintained fence can help. They usually find a way in eventually.
But fencing doesn't help the rabbit population very much. When they become over populated in suburban areas, they spread disease among themselves and pets, or starve out in the winter.

Got to look at the reality of the big picture and how nature works in the real world if you want to do the best overall for the rabbits and the humans and their pets. Introducing more feral cats into an area will help with population spikes, as they find the baby rabbits and kill them, but that causes other problems such as the spread of fleas and rabies...and a lot of dead cats who just don't make it. Better to selectively shoot a few bunnies and put them down humanely.

The internet is free. Libraries are free. Educate yourself. Smile

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting