Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting » More rabbiting
More rabbiting 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Staffy1
Got out this evening first time in weeks its been dry enough we've had nothing but rain and snow here for months. Put on two jumpers a fleece and a Jack Pyke camo coat, camouflage snood and woolen hat,light weight green gloves and two pairs of shooting socks to keep out the cold !!. Went to a paddock/garden at a private house where I am allowed to hunt. Its only an acre or so but it's rammed with rabbits during the summer and last year I shot 41 rabbits here . The owner suffers with the rabbits which strip small trees of bark and dig holes in his lawn. I had hunted most winter with out sucess as the rabbits seemed to come out just as it was getting too dark to see. The rabbits seem to be getting more active now
so I went out with high hopes of a couple for a stew or pie.I took my BSA Ultra sub 12ftlb rifle in.22 and used Bisley pest control pellets which are like hollow points. The guns got a cheapissh Bushnell scope on it but it's an ok scope for money.I used a pop up hide with camo netting on . My pop up hides just about had it after two years and is held together by bungee ropes but dose the job!!! and keeps me warm on cold days. I initially set up near some rabbit holes in a bank. I saw one rabbit which I got at twenty meters with a head shot. Have to move real slow when getiing inposition to shoot or the rabbits will take off. I use a old cut down fishing tripod to shoot of which makes real accurate shooting easier.
My guns zeroed out to 25 meters and this is my max hunting range on a breezy day like today.Waited a bit and saw about four rabbits about fifty meters away, too far for my gun so packed up and moved nearer. Had an hour before dusk so set up and waited , missed one rabbit which came out after ten minutes then twenty minutes later shot the second with a clean head shot. Both rabbits skinned and clean and given to an old age pensioner for a free meal. tried a rabbit pie the pensioner made from other rabbits I got and they taste great. Third rabbit this year just been waiting for the weather to dry up!. No season on rabbits in UK they are really just a pest here although you have to have considered or tried other control methods before shooting. Hopefully the start of a good years rabbiting .
Pictures are Pellets used
rabbits shot, Paddock and pop up hide set up

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:34 pm Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Nice shooting! Good times.
Unfortunately, rabbit season ended last month for where I live. Spring ain't sprung yet, either.

cheers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:59 pm Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Nice rifle and rabbits! I have a question though. What is a snood? lol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Robw
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I like your camo rig.
Hi a snood 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:54 am Reply with quote
Staffy1
A snood is like a balaclava which sits round your neck to keep your neck warm then can be pulled up to hide most your face, we call them snoods here
My camo set up has been good but has now had it time for a new hide/blind I think!!! !! Crying or Very sad

More rabbiting 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting