Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting » I agree
I agree 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:43 pm Reply with quote
4950cycle
No, we do have very simular bird/shotgun laws like you do. Please,Please (I am reffering to a lot of us now,no personal attack) quit reffering to airguns as weapons on semi puplic forums. When the legislators start gunning for "us". And they will one day. They will love the fact that we are reffering to them as weapons. So we will have no argument when we try to tell them they (airguns) are not weapons. They are simply shooting/hunting tools. If you think about it they really are not weapons to us. I have a lot better tools to go to for that. That being said. If you think about it don't most states have game laws about shooting game birds at rooste or rest. I think most of them have to be taken in flight. This would account for not being able to use a rifle. Not many guys can shoot birds in flight reliably with any kind of rifle. You would either be barely hitting them and wounding them or sending bullets all over the county to boot. Bullets carry a lot further than a shotgun patern. They might just lump air rifles in with all rifles. Even though its stupid.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Yeah, I don't think any real airgunner considers their gun a gun for self defense or anything like that. Although it could be used to inflict severe harm and pain on someone, it would not be an effective offensive or defensive gun for that purpose. Everyone knows that I think.

You shouldn't shoot birds in nests, or anything in a nest for that matter, including squirrels. I prey on birds that are coming in for food and typically shoot them while they are feeding. Since it is legal to use decoys (which I also use) there is no need to shoot them on the fly when they are just going to come in closer and land on the ground. They are then stationary targets, much easier to get a good kill shot on.

I know some hunters think it is unethical to shoot animals while they are eating or lure them in with food, but I don't see why it matters. To me, the use of decoys is worse than targeting them while feeding. Although I find both to be acceptable hunting strategies.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:39 pm Reply with quote
thepaladin
To quote "I agree" and have tried not to use the word "gun" for our hobby also. I would try to cut some people a little slack, exmilitary really have trouble using the word "gun".

Anyway, I doubt we can look for logic in most game laws. Turkeys don't have to shot on the wing, but rifles can't be used and so on. Often we just have to roll with the punches. I only suggest that we stay aware and do all we can to keep the rights we still have and when we have opertunity ,aybe try to expand them a little. Historicly once a right is lost, it doesn't come back. So, you're right. We need to even watch our language.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:20 am Reply with quote
4950cycle
Here in FL. you are allowed to shoot turkeys with anything besides centerfire of more than 5 round mags,or using fully automatic or silenced firearms. Sounds pretty liberal compared to Tenn. Maybe I ain't got it so bad. Sounds like a good job for my Talon with a Cromag or Kodiak, what do ya think guys ? Twisted Evil

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting