Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » CO2 temps
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
CO2 temps 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:23 pm Reply with quote
BCSteel
Member
Member
Joined: 14 Sep 2007
Posts: 88
Location: Sitting in Front of my Computer
What temps can I use a 12g co2 down to and still get decent performance out of them? I picked up a 2240 the other day and wanted to check it out but I can only shoot outside and the temps are around 32 + or - 4 or 5 degrees.

_________________
"Comfort in the known prevents us from discovering the unknown" - Jed Davis
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:39 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
The second last calculator here:

http://www.airgunhome.com/pages/calculators.html

is for Co² pressures at a specified temperature. So, for example, at 32 degrees F (0* C) Co² vapor pressure is around 506psi- this as compared to around 850psi at 70*F- so you have 59.53% of the pressure at th lower temp- meaning your power is going to be down somewhere in the ballpark of 40% vs. that 70* day. There are other factors that may vary this slightly beyond just the temperature- but the calculator is good for a basic guideline.

Bottom line is- you need to keep that Co² warm, live with the decreased output, or use another sort of powersource.

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:56 pm Reply with quote
BCSteel
Member
Member
Joined: 14 Sep 2007
Posts: 88
Location: Sitting in Front of my Computer
I even looked at that link just the other day Rolling Eyes

So I think that co2 works on expansion right? So the colder it is the less it expands and the less quickly it does so, right? So is that what causes the reduction in power during the cold, slower expansion? I'm just trying to understand how it all ties in together.

_________________
"Comfort in the known prevents us from discovering the unknown" - Jed Davis
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:01 pm Reply with quote
2RCHA
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 21 Feb 2007
Posts: 195
Location: The Big Smoke, Ontario
I've tried using hand-warmer's to keep the Co2 temperature up. Just take one, or two, and wrap them around the Co2 tube, and hold in place with a couple rubber band's,,I also take one of my little boys black sock's and cut the toe end off, and slip it over the hand-warmer's/Co2 tube/barrel,, I didn't notice a difference with the performance, mind you when I tried it wasn't as cold as it is now(-10C/Toronto), It would be interesting to find out how well this work's with real Cold temp's, atleast -15C,,Anyway's, I'm sure I won't have to wait too long to see,LOL, Andy.

_________________
QB78-D w/Fitco 4-16x44CE
2x,XS B4-2a .177/.22 w/Fitco 3-9x40
XS B2-2a .22 w/Simmons 3-9x40
XS B9-1 w/AimPoint CompM2
TAC1 Extreme w/Tasco 3-9x40/Var,. Kit
2240/2289g w/Fitco 3-12x40K-GD
Gamo Recon w/ Fitco 2-7x32k
QB-57Deluxe .22 w/Fitco 2-7x32k
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:06 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
Yes, expansion and evaporating- the lower the temp the slower and less it does it. Air is nowhere near as prone to this- so pump guns, PCP or spring guns are usually the only real ways to "winter shoot" with similar power as in warmer weather conditions.

You can still use your Co² 2240- but it won't shoot as far or as rapidly as it would in warmer conditions unless you are artificially heating up the Co².

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:11 pm Reply with quote
BCSteel
Member
Member
Joined: 14 Sep 2007
Posts: 88
Location: Sitting in Front of my Computer
Ok, thanks guys. I might try out that hand warmer idea tomorrow.

_________________
"Comfort in the known prevents us from discovering the unknown" - Jed Davis
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:45 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 4139
Location: Linconshire, ENGLAND
Hi BCSteel
I shoot alot in the winter using Co2 guns and find that once the temp drops below 16c the proformance drops off, for example one gun I have will shoot between 500-550 fps at 20c but at 16c it shoots at 400fps which is still usable out to about 15m, the only thing is that you have to alter the sight to reset you poi, the only problem with using heaters is that the fps get's erratic with the constant changing temprature, hence the poi keeps changing. The key to shooting in cold weather is a constant temprature above 16c, anything less don't bother.

Al

_________________


View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:07 pm Reply with quote
BCSteel
Member
Member
Joined: 14 Sep 2007
Posts: 88
Location: Sitting in Front of my Computer
So I went out and tried the new gun today. It was pretty cold 33F and lightly snowing. Loaded the co2 in the truck while everything was still warm, got a couple of those disposable hand warmers going and taped them to the co2 tube. Only went through 1 tube though so I dont know if it was really making any difference. Did get about 25 or 30 hard shots out of it though and at least got to run some lead through it. Damn that tirgger is heavy Shocked

_________________
"Comfort in the known prevents us from discovering the unknown" - Jed Davis
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:07 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
If it's a new gun it needs to be "broken in" for awhile. Your trigger will likely lighten up a bit over time- but you may also want to look into changing the spring on it if it's too heavy for your liking, even after a few hundred shots through it.

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:37 am Reply with quote
BCSteel
Member
Member
Joined: 14 Sep 2007
Posts: 88
Location: Sitting in Front of my Computer
I was thinking about taking it apart and smoothing out some of the contact parts on it and checking it out again to see how that goes.

_________________
"Comfort in the known prevents us from discovering the unknown" - Jed Davis
View user's profile Send private message
CO2 temps 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 1  

  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.