Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » Which would you buy (and why)?
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
Which would you buy (and why)? 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:35 am Reply with quote
RALFinAZ
New Member
New Member
Joined: 14 Jun 2010
Posts: 4
Kind of a loaded question but I have a Sports Authority gift card. Would you buy the Ruger Air Hawk, Winchester (Daisy) 1000SB, or the Gamo Big Cat? I am only using it to target shoot so accuracy is important. Bought the Winchester but not certain if I want to keep it or trade it for another. Thanks in advance for any opinions.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:01 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2007
Posts: 5714
Location: City of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
The Winchester looks to be a rebatched and restocked Hatsan. Shouldn't be to bad. Certainly on par with the other guns, for as far as I am concerned.

_________________
BIG GAP
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:33 am Reply with quote
Jaxom
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 06 Aug 2008
Posts: 927
Seriously... I've both a sports authority and sport mart near me, and I don't like the looks of anything either carry. I'd save my money, buy a better rifle via pyramid air, and use the gift card to buy pellets, targets, or Co2 carts if you need them.

_________________
.22 2300kt Crosman Custom
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:03 am Reply with quote
BBgunNoob
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 18 Dec 2008
Posts: 327
Location: Pa
big cat if i had to choose
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:38 am Reply with quote
Bozo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 29 Jun 2009
Posts: 107
Location: The remote parts of El Dorado County, CA
I don't know anything about the Winchester. Between the Ruger and the Big Cat, I'd say it's personal preference. The Big Cat has a synthetic stock and is lighter, and will take a GRT trigger (which is actually a big deal, especially for target shooting. Both stock triggers are very creepy and have a long pull). The Ruger has a nice wood stock and has more "heft". On mine, the Ruger's scope is somewhat better.

Really, I like Jaxom's suggestion. If the budget allows, get a better rifle and scope, and use the card for accessories. Especially if the object is target accuracy. The Ruger and Big Cat both have adequate accuracy, but you aren't going to take them to the Olympics.

_________________
Sheridan Blue Streak , Barska Red Dot sight, .20
Gamo Big Cat 1200, 4x32 Ruger scope, .177
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:01 pm Reply with quote
RALFinAZ
New Member
New Member
Joined: 14 Jun 2010
Posts: 4
Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately, I need to use the certificate or it's a no go! The issue I see with the Winchester (which I think is a Daisy) is the trigger pull. Very difficult to hold steady and squeeze, real long tough pull. I like the idea of getting an alternative trigger as suggested for the Gamo. I think the Gamo has no iron sights, does the scope hold in place?
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:28 pm Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2007
Posts: 5714
Location: City of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
RALFinAZ wrote:
Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately, I need to use the certificate or it's a no go! The issue I see with the Winchester (which I think is a Daisy) is the trigger pull. Very difficult to hold steady and squeeze, real long tough pull. I like the idea of getting an alternative trigger as suggested for the Gamo. I think the Gamo has no iron sights, does the scope hold in place?


Maybe imported by Daisy, but I'm quite sure it's a Hatsan Model 60 in it's bowels.

_________________
BIG GAP
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:28 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
The Winchester is a Daisy- it could be a Hatsan, but it could also be a Chinese-made product, although I can't suggest which.

From an accuracy standpoint- I believe the Ruger or the Gamo would likely be the better choices- just don't be shooting any lightweight POS pellets out of the Gamo if you get it- i.e. ignore their marketing BS.

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:33 pm Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2007
Posts: 5714
Location: City of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
AirGunEric wrote:
The Winchester is a Daisy- it could be a Hatsan, but it could also be a Chinese-made product, although I can't suggest which.


Looking at the safety I'd say Hatsan. You can see it's the same on some of their models. Unless a Chinese factory has taken over that style of safey. I've not seen that particular one on other guns.

Or it's based on and made with parts from or copied from a Hatsan.

_________________
BIG GAP
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:51 am Reply with quote
BBgunNoob
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 18 Dec 2008
Posts: 327
Location: Pa
broom is right daisy exports them from hatsan
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:47 am Reply with quote
Bozo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 29 Jun 2009
Posts: 107
Location: The remote parts of El Dorado County, CA
Quote:
I think the Gamo has no iron sights, does the scope hold in place?

Correct, no iron sights on the Big Cat. I've had no problems with the scope moving on the mounts; it comes with a hole in the breech for a stop on the rear scope mount. But it's just not a great scope. It could be the individual sample I got, though.

_________________
Sheridan Blue Streak , Barska Red Dot sight, .20
Gamo Big Cat 1200, 4x32 Ruger scope, .177
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:19 pm Reply with quote
BBgunNoob
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 18 Dec 2008
Posts: 327
Location: Pa
Bozo wrote:
Quote:
I think the Gamo has no iron sights, does the scope hold in place?

Correct, no iron sights on the Big Cat. I've had no problems with the scope moving on the mounts; it comes with a hole in the breech for a stop on the rear scope mount. But it's just not a great scope. It could be the individual sample I got, though.

indeed the scope in multiple reviews i have read is crappy Sad/Cry
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:25 am Reply with quote
kanyon
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 09 Aug 2008
Posts: 1582
Location: New Zealand
The Wincheaster / Daisy is a mod 55 Hatsan...
If its a .22 is a mod 60...

Pete

_________________
Career Infinity PCP .22
Webley Patriot .25
Hatsan mod 75 .22
Hatsan mod 99 .177 (Quattro & SAS)
Kral underlever .177


.............................................


.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:59 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2007
Posts: 5714
Location: City of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Thanks Pete. They're not expensive over here. Might be good intro-plinkers/hunters. I've read about a guy that got 23 mm groups at a bit over 25 yards.

_________________
BIG GAP
View user's profile Send private message
Which would you buy (and why)? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 1  

  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.