 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | Which would you buy (and why)? |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:35 am |
|
|
| RALFinAZ |
| New Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 14 Jun 2010 |
| Posts: 4 |
|
|
|
 |
| Kind of a loaded question but I have a Sports Authority gift card. Would you buy the Ruger Air Hawk, Winchester (Daisy) 1000SB, or the Gamo Big Cat? I am only using it to target shoot so accuracy is important. Bought the Winchester but not certain if I want to keep it or trade it for another. Thanks in advance for any opinions. |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:01 am |
|
|
| broommaster2000 |
| Moderator |

 |
 |
| Joined: 10 Mar 2007 |
| Posts: 5714 |
| Location: City of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands |
|
|
 |
| The Winchester looks to be a rebatched and restocked Hatsan. Shouldn't be to bad. Certainly on par with the other guns, for as far as I am concerned. |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:33 am |
|
|
| Jaxom |
| Senior Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 06 Aug 2008 |
| Posts: 927 |
|
|
|
 |
| Seriously... I've both a sports authority and sport mart near me, and I don't like the looks of anything either carry. I'd save my money, buy a better rifle via pyramid air, and use the gift card to buy pellets, targets, or Co2 carts if you need them. |
|
_________________ .22 2300kt Crosman Custom |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:03 am |
|
|
| BBgunNoob |
| Veteran Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 18 Dec 2008 |
| Posts: 327 |
| Location: Pa |
|
|
 |
| big cat if i had to choose |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:38 am |
|
|
| Bozo |
| Veteran Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 29 Jun 2009 |
| Posts: 107 |
| Location: The remote parts of El Dorado County, CA |
|
|
 |
I don't know anything about the Winchester. Between the Ruger and the Big Cat, I'd say it's personal preference. The Big Cat has a synthetic stock and is lighter, and will take a GRT trigger (which is actually a big deal, especially for target shooting. Both stock triggers are very creepy and have a long pull). The Ruger has a nice wood stock and has more "heft". On mine, the Ruger's scope is somewhat better.
Really, I like Jaxom's suggestion. If the budget allows, get a better rifle and scope, and use the card for accessories. Especially if the object is target accuracy. The Ruger and Big Cat both have adequate accuracy, but you aren't going to take them to the Olympics. |
|
_________________ Sheridan Blue Streak , Barska Red Dot sight, .20
Gamo Big Cat 1200, 4x32 Ruger scope, .177
 |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:01 pm |
|
|
| RALFinAZ |
| New Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 14 Jun 2010 |
| Posts: 4 |
|
|
|
 |
| Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately, I need to use the certificate or it's a no go! The issue I see with the Winchester (which I think is a Daisy) is the trigger pull. Very difficult to hold steady and squeeze, real long tough pull. I like the idea of getting an alternative trigger as suggested for the Gamo. I think the Gamo has no iron sights, does the scope hold in place? |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:28 pm |
|
|
| broommaster2000 |
| Moderator |

 |
 |
| Joined: 10 Mar 2007 |
| Posts: 5714 |
| Location: City of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands |
|
|
 |
| RALFinAZ wrote: |
| Thanks for the responses. Unfortunately, I need to use the certificate or it's a no go! The issue I see with the Winchester (which I think is a Daisy) is the trigger pull. Very difficult to hold steady and squeeze, real long tough pull. I like the idea of getting an alternative trigger as suggested for the Gamo. I think the Gamo has no iron sights, does the scope hold in place? |
Maybe imported by Daisy, but I'm quite sure it's a Hatsan Model 60 in it's bowels. |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:28 pm |
|
|
| AirGunEric |
| Site Admin |

 |
 |
| Joined: 20 Jan 2007 |
| Posts: 6930 |
| Location: "Out There" |
|
|
 |
The Winchester is a Daisy- it could be a Hatsan, but it could also be a Chinese-made product, although I can't suggest which.
From an accuracy standpoint- I believe the Ruger or the Gamo would likely be the better choices- just don't be shooting any lightweight POS pellets out of the Gamo if you get it- i.e. ignore their marketing BS. |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:33 pm |
|
|
| broommaster2000 |
| Moderator |

 |
 |
| Joined: 10 Mar 2007 |
| Posts: 5714 |
| Location: City of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands |
|
|
 |
| AirGunEric wrote: |
The Winchester is a Daisy- it could be a Hatsan, but it could also be a Chinese-made product, although I can't suggest which.
|
Looking at the safety I'd say Hatsan. You can see it's the same on some of their models. Unless a Chinese factory has taken over that style of safey. I've not seen that particular one on other guns.
Or it's based on and made with parts from or copied from a Hatsan. |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:51 am |
|
|
| BBgunNoob |
| Veteran Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 18 Dec 2008 |
| Posts: 327 |
| Location: Pa |
|
|
 |
| broom is right daisy exports them from hatsan |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:47 am |
|
|
| Bozo |
| Veteran Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 29 Jun 2009 |
| Posts: 107 |
| Location: The remote parts of El Dorado County, CA |
|
|
 |
| Quote: |
| I think the Gamo has no iron sights, does the scope hold in place? |
Correct, no iron sights on the Big Cat. I've had no problems with the scope moving on the mounts; it comes with a hole in the breech for a stop on the rear scope mount. But it's just not a great scope. It could be the individual sample I got, though. |
|
_________________ Sheridan Blue Streak , Barska Red Dot sight, .20
Gamo Big Cat 1200, 4x32 Ruger scope, .177
 |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:19 pm |
|
|
| BBgunNoob |
| Veteran Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 18 Dec 2008 |
| Posts: 327 |
| Location: Pa |
|
|
 |
| Bozo wrote: |
| Quote: |
| I think the Gamo has no iron sights, does the scope hold in place? |
Correct, no iron sights on the Big Cat. I've had no problems with the scope moving on the mounts; it comes with a hole in the breech for a stop on the rear scope mount. But it's just not a great scope. It could be the individual sample I got, though. |
indeed the scope in multiple reviews i have read is crappy  |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:25 am |
|
|
| kanyon |
| Silver Status Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 09 Aug 2008 |
| Posts: 1582 |
| Location: New Zealand |
|
|
 |
The Wincheaster / Daisy is a mod 55 Hatsan...
If its a .22 is a mod 60...
Pete |
|
_________________ Career Infinity PCP .22
Webley Patriot .25
Hatsan mod 75 .22
Hatsan mod 99 .177 (Quattro & SAS)
Kral underlever .177
.............................................
. |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:59 am |
|
|
| broommaster2000 |
| Moderator |

 |
 |
| Joined: 10 Mar 2007 |
| Posts: 5714 |
| Location: City of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands |
|
|
 |
| Thanks Pete. They're not expensive over here. Might be good intro-plinkers/hunters. I've read about a guy that got 23 mm groups at a bit over 25 yards. |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | Which would you buy (and why)? |  | |  |  |  |
Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum
|
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
|
|
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.
|