Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » Marauder VS. Talon SS Goto page 1, 2  Next
Marauder VS. Talon SS 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Mark5043
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I will be in the market for a nice PCP gun pretty soon,and I have it narrowed down between two choices.Marauder or Talon SS?I would like some good power,but it has to be as quiet as possible,out of respect for neighbors etc."Got A Pain In The a$$ Cranky One Next Door"

I like the SS because I could always get the 24 inch barrel to get more power,when noise is not a concern.Plus with all the bolt on goodies available,it makes it a-little tough to decide.However I've heard the Maudi is SUPER quiet,and a-little easier on the wallet.My primary purpose for going PCP is long range shooting,with a little discrete pest elimination,and some hunting thrown in the mix.It would nice to get some opinions from others on this to help with my decision! Wink
Re: Marauder VS. Talon SS 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
SnowBunny
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Gone

Last edited by SnowBunny on Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I'd get the marauder too. I have a talon ss. Too many problems with it. Just the poor safety mechanism alone is enough to make me want to drive business AWAY from Airforce Airguns.

(So there Airforce, you didn't want to dignify me with a response to my email about your shitty safeties...I just cost you a $550 sale! Faq-U )

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Mark5043
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Rogerflat wrote:
I'd get the marauder too. I have a talon ss. Too many problems with it. Just the poor safety mechanism alone is enough to make me want to drive business AWAY from Airforce Airguns.

(So there Airforce, you didn't want to dignify me with a response to my email about your shitty safeties...I just cost you a $550 sale! Faq-U )
Problems with the safety huh?This is exactly the kind of info,that I need.."Thanks Roger".I do like the Marauder a-lot.However as an avid mountain biker,I like the SS as well because I could break it down,and put it in a pack to take along with me.That is why it's a tough call for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Mark5043
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Oh,I forgot to ask you Roger...Any other issues with your SS that you would care to share with me?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Rogerflat
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
True, you could always do this with your talon ss. Makes for a nice back packing outfit.

I've since gotten a 24 inch barrel for her, so she's no longer an "ss". But the built in silencer wasn't all that silent anyway, which was another thing I didn't like about it.

I have to say that I've not given my Talon the attention it deserves. Because it is just one of many airguns I play with. But I've had inconsistency issues (air flow fluctuations) with the valve before and the cocking slide mechanism. Nothing serious, and could probably be permanently fixed with some airgunsmithing.

Of course, I sit here and trash it having just blown a bird's head off today with it. But the positives are it has power out the wazoo. It is extremely accurate (minus the valve problems). And the rifle is all around a sturdy, well constructed, purpose built piece of equipment.

I dunno, you make the decision. Again, I don't know anything about Marauders.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Mark5043
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Rogerflat wrote:
True, you could always do this with your talon ss. Makes for a nice back packing outfit.

I've since gotten a 24 inch barrel for her, so she's no longer an "ss". But the built in silencer wasn't all that silent anyway, which was another thing I didn't like about it.

I have to say that I've not given my Talon the attention it deserves. Because it is just one of many airguns I play with. But I've had inconsistency issues (air flow fluctuations) with the valve before and the cocking slide mechanism. Nothing serious, and could probably be permanently fixed with some airgunsmithing.

Of course, I sit here and trash it having just blown a bird's head off today with it. But the positives are it has power out the wazoo. It is extremely accurate (minus the valve problems). And the rifle is all around a sturdy, well constructed, purpose built piece of equipment.

I dunno, you make the decision. Again, I don't know anything about Marauders.
Nice! That is EXACTLY the kind of set up I'm talking about.HMMM....Decisions,Decisions.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:01 am Reply with quote
kanyon
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
One of these....
Logun S16
16 shot mag

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:12 am Reply with quote
dummyracer36
kanyon wrote:
One of these....
Logun S16
16 shot mag

kanyon beat me to it, i was gonna suggest the logun.... i absolutely LOVE mine!!! i havent fired the marauder yet so i dont know how it compares sound wise, but the logun is DEAD quiet!!!! the impact of the pellet on target is 10 Xs louder than any noise comin from the rifle itself.

it breaks down nicely, has plenty of power, and is extremely accurate!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:33 am Reply with quote
kanyon
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
dummyracer36 wrote:
kanyon wrote:
One of these....
Logun S16
16 shot mag

kanyon beat me to it, i was gonna suggest the logun.... i absolutely LOVE mine!!! i havent fired the marauder yet so i dont know how it compares sound wise, but the logun is DEAD quiet!!!! the impact of the pellet on target is 10 Xs louder than any noise comin from the rifle itself.

it breaks down nicely, has plenty of power, and is extremely accurate!!!

DR..Is Logun still in biz as they seem very hard to fined now ?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:38 am Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Pete, where did you get your Logun?

PA sells magazines and Logun lube, but they don't stock the rifles (one the website at least).

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:01 am Reply with quote
dummyracer36
fritz wrote:
Pete, where did you get your Logun?

PA sells magazines and Logun lube, but they don't stock the rifles (one the website at least).

fritz, i got the last one that PA had in stock

and yes logun is still in business, from what i understand, PA is awaiting the new S-16 EVO models.

as far as finding them in stock... there are still several places that have the S-16s in stock ready to ship

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:25 am Reply with quote
dummyracer36
heres a thread with better pics, and some impressions http://www.airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=2406

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Mark5043
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
kanyon wrote:
One of these....
Logun S16
16 shot mag

Nice!This is a very nice piece of kit,that's for sure.I read some reviews about this piece,and am pretty impressed.Where can these be had?I understand that Logun is a British Company,and I don't see any links to retailers in the states.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:20 pm Reply with quote
broommaster2000
I've read on the Dutch forum, the adjustment wheel on those Airforce rifles is mostly useless, as it tends to blow of way to much air. Neutral

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles