Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Antique, Collector and Novelty Airguns » HY-SCORE 808 .177 Pellet/BB
HY-SCORE 808 .177 Pellet/BB 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:08 pm Reply with quote
BBGun Bob
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I found me a new old gun today.I traded a pocket knife and $25 dollars for it at my favorite flea market.Its a HY-SCORE 808 .177 Cal.Pellet/BB smooth bore Made in West Germany by "Mayer and Grammelspacher" which is now known as RWS or Diana.Its suppose to be the same rifle as a Diana Model 25,but I could be wrong.I'll have to research it a little more to find out all the details.From what I gather they made them for Hy-Score in the late 50's and early 60's.
Its a strong shooter.When I got it home I put some oil down the transfer port and let it set for a couple of hours.Then while sitting in a chair I cocked it and shot it toward the ceiling,damn !!!now I got a 4" oil spot up there! LOL.
Its missing the trigger guard but one can be made or maybe if I'm luck I'll find an original.

BBGun Bob

Here She is

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:15 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Hy-Score was an importer in Brooklyn, NY until somewhere around 1980. Apparently, they did make their own line of pistols in NY- but all the air rifles were imported. I have no idea what the Model 808 is- but it may not be a copy of anything- I don't believe Diana sold any BB-capable guns under their own name (all were pellet shooters I think).

Either way $25 and a pocket knife for a usable, 50-year-old airgun sounds like deal to me!

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
Eric I found this info at Pyramyd Air 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:24 pm Reply with quote
BBGun Bob
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
At July 09, 2007 9:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read all of this history and comments and i have one for you. my father past away a short time ago and i found his HY SCORE BB, Pellet Rifle, Mod 808, Cal.177 and BBs made in germany for Hy score arms corp. brooklyn, Ny, USA. It is in excellent condition and still shoots acuratly. You did not mention any thing about any rifles, i was wondering when it was made and what it is worth, thankyou, trickyp43@yahoo.com.

At July 10, 2007 6:57 AM, Blogger B.B. Pelletier said...

trickyp,

Your Hy Score 808 is actually made by Diana of Germany. I think it is the model 25. It was made in the '60s, but the date will be on the receiver at the left rear. Two tiny numbers for the year and two for the month of manufacture. A rifle in good condition should be worth $100-125.

The link http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2006/02/hy-score-800-spring-pistol.html

it about 3/4 of the way down the blog.

BBGun BOB

Re: Eric I found this info at Pyramyd Air 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:47 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBGun Bob wrote:
"I think it is the model 25."

BB Pelletier/Tom Gaylord really has no idea either. Look at pictures of a Model 25- they aren't that similar, and I don't believe the 25 was set-up to shoot BBs. Diana obviously did make the gun- but they may have custom-made it for the guys in Brooklyn- not just re-labelled one of their existing guns. Most of the Hy-Score pistols were actually made by Hy-Score in Brooklyn- it was only the last 10-15 years where they gave this up and only sold imported/re-labelled stuff.

As a note- Phoenix Arms in the UK bought up all the Hy-Score designs and trademarks and the machinery used for the pistol manufacture sometime in the early 1980s after the Hy-Score founder/owner died.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
HY-SCORE 808 .177 Pellet/BB 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Antique, Collector and Novelty Airguns