Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » Why couldn't i leave well enough alone?
Why couldn't i leave well enough alone? 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:04 pm Reply with quote
josh3rd
Today I'm down in the basement... hold on for a second everybody isn't that where everything bad happens in the movies? In the basement. As far as I know nothing good ever comes from being in the basement which leads me to my story. Okay I'm down in the basement and I wanted to check how my soda can piston sleeve was doing. FYI to those who would like to know, so far so good. No scratching, no aluminum bits and pieces in the tube. And it is still keeping the "spring twang" down. Well last night I was talking to a gentleman who was very informative and knowledgeable in airguns especially springers. While I was picking his brain he told me about how easy the piston should slide down in the compression tube by its own weight and if you hold your finger over the transfer port hole you can hold the compression tube up and the piston will not fall out.

Okay so I tried it and it did not slide down the tube whatsoever without me giving it some help. So therefore I tried to resize the seal with some 400 grit sandpaper. It seemed like I was doing that forever because the it did not slide down by its own weight.

So here's the idiotic part. I decided to use a Dremel and take some material off the seal but idiot me took way too much. How much is way too much? It'll slide in the compression tube as fast as gravity will allow. Man I am so mad and upset with myself. I put the rifle back together and proceeded to see how bad the damage is. Funny thing is is that it's still grouping pretty good for 10 shots but there is a very noticeable difference in Recoil now. I hope I have enough bullseye bucks to get a seal from Pyramyd Air.

For those who may know what I'm going through, will it mess up the rifle if I continue to shoot it? I do not have a crony so I can not tell if it's shooting fast or slow or good or bad aside from what I have already told you. Thanks to all of you for being the shoulder to cry on at this time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:19 pm Reply with quote
cobalt327
nt

Last edited by cobalt327 on Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:32 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Replace the seal and don't try to 'resize' the replacement unless it is the wrong seal to start with.

Your 'expert' seems misinformed- on a new rifle it will take some time (500-1000 shots) for the seal to wear into the tube properly and may never (hopefully) just slide around on its own- if it's sliding based on gravity, the piston seal is obviously not 'sealing' anything- i.e. completely contrary to what you want.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:16 pm Reply with quote
josh3rd
Thanks Eric
Why couldn't i leave well enough alone? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics