Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » accuracy
accuracy 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:33 pm Reply with quote
le3045
i have a walther lgu in .177 if sighted in dead nuts at 20 yards it will shoot a 5 shot dime size 1 hole group with the following pellets beeman field trophy 8.64 gr,h&n 10.34 gr hollow point. crosman 7.9 gr hp, jsb 8.44gr and the jsb 10 gr but when you move out to 30 yards it will shoot all of them lower which is understandable but all the groups will also move 3/4" to 1" to the right if you zero at 30 then at 20 the groups will be to the left of center any help in fixing this problem would be greatly appreciated

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:46 pm Reply with quote
toadmyster223
My best recommendation I can come up with is get a .22 pellet gun. Far more stable
accuracy 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:09 pm Reply with quote
le3045
i will not argue with that because i dont know but there must be something causing this issue besides the fact it is .177 i would like some honest answers as what may be causing this with some real world things to try ive tried light pellets and heavy pellets and the results are the same so that throws out pellet stabilization from weights being too light or heavy any help would be appreciated thank you Lee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:22 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
It's an interesting conundrum- but it seems likely toadmyster is on the right track, the consistency and movement when changing ranges does tend to point at wind blowing the light and then slower moving pellets at 30 yards. Test again, and then reverse you and the target (i.e. you stand where the target was, place the target where you were previously) and see if it stays the same, or the direction reverses as well (i.e. following the wind direction).

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:07 pm Reply with quote
toadmyster223
.117s are just testy unless you have a real honey of a gun

A lot of them have cruddy triggers, too- Maybe you're just on the verge of where your trigger technique starts messing you up? That was the biggest problem I had when I started with air guns.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:50 pm Reply with quote
domer_pyle
Also likely your scope isn't directly centered over the barrel. I had this problem once, taking out paintballs at 40 yards like nothing, a grackle walks up at 15 and I blow the side of its head clean off when the mark was right in the middle of its face. A few shots at close range and then past where I sighted to showed it shot left at closer range, and to the right past my sight in range

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
I have had the same problem, Domer-Pyle is right the scope or sights are not parallel with the barrel.

Al

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
dcw
all the above apply...

the more adverse the weather/winds are, the more your accuracy will deviate at distance.

a 177 simply does not have the energy to resist adverse winds as does a 22, or larger, caliber projectile. (unless you have a gun with the capability of driving the 177 at really high velocities...)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:26 pm Reply with quote
toadmyster223
^^ Super high velocity .177s run back into stability problems again, though, unless it's a PCP that can shoot really weird, heavy-for-caliber projectiles.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:29 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
I think you have a gun cant problem.... the vertical crosshairs of the scope do not intersect the C/L of the bore, but you are holding the crosshairs vertical, so the gun is canted.... See diagram "G" below, it is the one consistent with your symptoms....

I use a mirror mounted on the wall about 5 yards from the muzzle, focus the scope at 10 yards, and have it slightly loose in the rings so that you can rotate it.... View the image of the front of the scope and muzzle through the scope in the mirror and rotate the scope until the vertical crosshair intersects the C/L of both.... Then carefully tighten the rings, alternating right to left and front to back, making sure that when you are finished the C/L of both scope and muzzle is still on the vertical crosshairs....

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:15 am Reply with quote
josh3rd
Your rifle, or your scope of the two is canted

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:38 pm Reply with quote
cobalt327
Some guns "corkscrew" the pellets. Some explanation is here. If this is happening, the POI will shift as the range changes. There are also videos online that show this as it happens.

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics