Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Introduce Yourself » Hello from NC
Hello from NC 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:56 am Reply with quote
ChristGilley
Hey, guys. I've decided I need to get back into air rifles. I'm no stranger to them, I've owned one and been shooting since I was 13, but life happened and I got caught up in other things. Well now I live out in the country with a huge back yard and have made the decision that I need to step up my Arsenal. I've had lower end guns, a Red Ryder and a Daisey Grizzly, but I want to take a step up. I'm looking for something with enough power to drop small game up to about rabbit size and a bit bigger. I've had my eye on the Crosman Optimus, it's at the high end of my budget. I've only heard good things about it as well as the Gamo Hornet. In personal experience, what do you guys think delivers better for the money? The Hornet is only about $10 more then the Optimus but I can't lie, I do like the real wood stock

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:06 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Don't know much about the Hornet- meaning it is either a WalMart special or is relatively new on the market. It appears to be similar to the Optimus (Crosman and Gamo have a bit of crossover in respect to springer design).

In any event, welcome to the forum.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:54 pm Reply with quote
ChristGilley
AirGunEric wrote:
Don't know much about the Hornet- meaning it is either a WalMart special or is relatively new on the market. It appears to be similar to the Optimus (Crosman and Gamo have a bit of crossover in respect to springer design).

In any event, welcome to the forum.

Thank you, it's fairly new I believe. I'm looking on academy.com at the moment but I think I made a decision. The Crosman Nitro Venom Dusk. I heard a lot of good things about it, it's a bit slimmer then the Optimus and has a much better scope with its package deal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
After taking a quick look, it appears to me that they are all roughly similar. The Nitro Venom Dusk stands out because it has a variable power scope and a nitro piston. Any one of the three would probably benefit from a trigger upgrade at some point down the line.

Wood vs. synthetic stocks are a matter of personal preference. I used to think wood was the only way to go, until I got a good deal on a synthetic stocked rifle. I changed my mind when I saw how durable it is, and now I own several. My preference would be for the Nitro Venom stock - not because of the material, but due to the more vertical grip angle.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:17 pm Reply with quote
ChristGilley
Slavia wrote:
After taking a quick look, it appears to me that they are all roughly similar. The Nitro Venom Dusk stands out because it has a variable power scope and a nitro piston. Any one of the three would probably benefit from a trigger upgrade at some point down the line.

Wood vs. synthetic stocks are a matter of personal preference. I used to think wood was the only way to go, until I got a good deal on a synthetic stocked rifle. I changed my mind when I saw how durable it is, and now I own several. My preference would be for the Nitro Venom stock - not because of the material, but due to the more vertical grip angle.

If I can get the synthetic stock from academy, I will. I've got a gift card for academy so that's where I'm doing my shopping

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
You will definitely have more power than the Red Ryder or Grizzly. A general rule of thumb is one foot pound of kinetic energy per pound of animal (assuming range and accuracy let you place the shot correctly). The Nitro Venom Dusk is in the 18 FPE range.

Rather than bore you here with a long-winded rant, you've got some homework to do. Do some research on:
1. Cleaning the barrel (especially when new).
2. Proper hold ("artillery hold").
3. Break-in period.
4. Mods you might like to do later on.

Then come back with questions and you'll get the long response. In the mean time, have fun with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:32 pm Reply with quote
ChristGilley
Slavia wrote:
You will definitely have more power than the Red Ryder or Grizzly. A general rule of thumb is one foot pound of kinetic energy per pound of animal (assuming range and accuracy let you place the shot correctly). The Nitro Venom Dusk is in the 18 FPE range.

Rather than bore you here with a long-winded rant, you've got some homework to do. Do some research on:
1. Cleaning the barrel (especially when new).
2. Proper hold ("artillery hold").
3. Break-in period.
4. Mods you might like to do later on.

Then come back with questions and you'll get the long response. In the mean time, have fun with it.

I've heard mixed things about cleaning the barrel out of the box. I know it'll have to be cleaned but the extent changes every time I do research. The break in period seems to vary from 250-500 pellets. And I haven't looked at too many mods, just some triggers. I'll have to see how the gun performs before making a decision there

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:27 am Reply with quote
Slavia
Quote:
I've heard mixed things about cleaning the barrel out of the box. I know it'll have to be cleaned but the extent changes every time I do research

It's just to get manufacturing crud out of the bore. Cleaning an airgun barrel is simpler than a firearm to begin with. You don't have corrosive residues or metallic fouling from bullet jackets, nor is the fouling deposited with the heat or pressure of a firearm. No nasty solvents are involved.

Quote:
The break in period seems to vary from 250-500 pellets

Maybe more like 500-1000, depending on the gun. The break-in period applies to the shooter, too. During that time you are learning how to hold the gun, and are probably trying out different kinds of pellets.

Quote:
I haven't looked at too many mods, just some triggers. I'll have to see how the gun performs before making a decision there

That's wise. Some mods won't need to be done. If you were to replace the trigger, shooting it for a while in original condition will serve to make you appreciate the upgrade all the more.

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Introduce Yourself