Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » fwb 300s mods upgrades Goto page 1, 2  Next
fwb 300s mods upgrades 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:21 am Reply with quote
raven2535
i have 2 fwb 300s which are excellant 10metre rifles but only shoot 640fps 6ft/lbs. i want to uprate one for metallic sihouette field rifle competition. is it possible any ideas re suitable springs modifications? parts suppliers.? can i expect accuracy to suffer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:22 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
The 300 was designed to be a 10m target rifle. Normally, a 10m rifle is closer to 500fps than your 640fps- so I have to assume you have the newer 300S version that was discontinued in 1996.

What is your intended shooting distance and pellets used with the rifle? At 640fps/6ftlbs you are probably A-Ok to shoot with 7.9gr pellets to about 15m.

Personally, I wouldn't want to fiddle too much with your 300- is was designed as a 10m target gun, and as I'm sure you are aware, is one of "recoilless" variety. Basically, a tune and lube and a spring replacement is about as far as I would go- beyond that you risk losing accuracy.

You may want to check with Jim Maccari for a replacement spring. Even if he doesn't have one that will increase the power significantly- after 10+ years, I bet the gun needs a new one anyways. He did a lot of springs for the Diana 54- which was essentially an imitation of the 300 (another 'recoilless' model):

http://www.airguns.citymax.com

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:58 pm Reply with quote
raven2535
Thanks Airgun Eric for reply. Metallic silhouette is shot at 18,27,32,and 42metres chickens,pigs,turkeys and rams. By turkeys distance pellets rws meisterkugeln 7.0 and 8.2 gr wad cutter style are sideways ,rams are a fluke hit. Have tried Maccari he simply said "unable to supply"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Mar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Have you experimented with heavier pellets to get the knock down power required?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:36 am Reply with quote
raven2535
Mar yes i have ,up to 9.3gns but the drop off ballistically is major at the 40 metres required ,up to 2ft or 60cms and wind throws it way off. I might try a round or pointed nose pellet. I have just refurbished the best of the fwb300s with new springs piston ring and chamber seal for 10 metre work and the accuracy has gone from good to excellant 1/2 pellet on pellet 5 shot groups. Suspect this might improve metallic silhouette performance but yet to test.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:19 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Get a HW97K spring. That will do the job.

Else, try to search on Google for "Field Target" and FWB 300.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:50 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
What type of sighting device are you using? You may be forced to use a AO-type scope in order to minimize how much you will have to figure out on-site, at the time of shooting (the 300S does have a scope rail, right?). The significant change in the POA vs. POI, as you mentioned may also be partially the fault of the pellets (I assume based on your comment you are using match (wadcutter) pellets- which, in an "old school" way of thinking were good for anything/everything- but that really isn't the case- I would try another pellet style as a start.

Beyond that- I guess the only real way to see how much change the 300 can take is to get the largest, thickest spring you can find and fit in the gun before getting coil-bound and see what happens to the accuracy. I don't know the specs on the 300 spring (does it use a dual, short spring spring setup?), so I can't help with what would make for a good replacement at this point. Perhaps that has been part of the problem- nobody really has tried to increase the 300's power output, being a decent shooter at 10m was "good enough" for a target rifle for most people- so maybe you'll be pioneering the effort- many years after the gun has been discontinued!

After looking into this a bit- apparently Jim Maccari ("unable to supply") did try to work with the 300s for awhile, but gave up and moved on to a 150 which I gather was easier to work with in respect to modification.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:00 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
This topic got me curious, so I went investigating- and couldn't find anyone who has done any signficant modifications to the 300S. It is a dual-spring gun and it appears people have always used genuine FWB springs when they do replace them.

I stumbled across this odd entry on Robert Beeman's site (pull up the page and then enter "300s" in the text search function of your browser):

http://www.beemans.net/sale%20and%20wanted%20new.htm

"43D. Beeman/Feinwerkbau Air Rifle Model 300S - Disassembly & Assembly Information by Robert Beeman, 1988. Pre-S/R Beeman Technical Bulletin 8196. This is the "forbidden material" that the factory and the new Beeman company will not distribute! For research study only. 12 pages. Original. $24.95

43C. Copy of above. $14.95"

I have no idea WTF Beeman is going on about in respect to "forbidden manual"- that may just be his own marketing hype- but I would be curious to know what's in that manual. The Beeman company were the people importing the gun into the US when it was still available new.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:09 am Reply with quote
raven2535
Air Gun Eric Thanks for the headsup on the beeman site Ihave ordered the information and will let you know what the fobidden info is all about

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:16 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
That would be great- I believe Dr. Beeman is full of his own hype a fair bit of the time- so it would be very interesting to see what he's got cooking here and if it really is worth the money for his manuals/guides.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:34 am Reply with quote
raven2535
Update to AirGun Eric ,Mars,and Broommaster
Have just replaced original dual springs, Piston ring,Barrel seal,and,piston bumper.Big improvement .Tested out to 32 meters ,turkey distance,with round nose Beeman trophy,field target,bearcub 7.8-9.8 gns ,all punch through old laminated core plywood door and still dent tin shed. Have also located a site that talks about cutting seven coils off a HW50Mk11 spring giving 750-775 fps may try it in future with my other 300s. Just received a note from Maccari he is going to have springs for the 300s available next week, but the specs were not given ,in terms of them being similar or stronger than original fwbs. Just a note my old fwb springs assembled with spacer measured 20.5cm new ones 25cm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:53 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Your new springs may "set" at a length closer to your old ones once they are installed and compressed.

If you have some pictures of things- post them up.

Also, if Jim Maccari has a spring setup for the 300- it's probably better than anything else you're likely to find for quality and consistency.

And don't forget about telling us what's in that Beeman guide! Razz

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:58 am Reply with quote
raven2535
Broommaster 2000, you mentioned using a Hw 97k spring .Any more info. Have you used this your self .Is it a one piece unit ,fwb uses two springs with a plastic spacer /joiner. Expected improvement?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:08 am Reply with quote
raven2535
AirGun Eric I'm new to forum technology. uncertain how to post photos any tips?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:05 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posting Photos is super-easy on this forum (not the same on most others).

When you are writing the post, look immediately below the white box you are typing in, and it says "Add image to post"- click on that and you can upload the photo. Only thing is that it will put the picture at the very end of the typing on the screen- even if the cursor is in the middle somewhere, so if you want to reposition it, you have to cut&paste the text it places in the right spot in your post.

The pictures come up like this:

That is a Walther (Umarex) LG-300 Dominator if anyone cares...

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

fwb 300s mods upgrades 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles