Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » My Daisy 880, is there even more power in it?
My Daisy 880, is there even more power in it? 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote
DavidSaunders
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have done some simple modifications to my Daisy 880 to improve on the power. Currently it is shooting at 758 to 761FPS at 12 pumps with Winchester Domed 9.8 grain pellets (its favorite pellet).

For power improvements I have:
    + Filled the slot in the piston head.
    + Made a shim to go infront of the Piston O-Ring to fill that head space.
    + Stiffened the Hammer spring a bit.
    + Weakened the spring on the inlet.
    + Weakened the exhaust valve spring.
    + Shimmed the pump tube slightly forward.

For accuracy improvements I have:
    + Wrapped the end of the barrel in Electrical Tape to improve fit in shroud.
    + Polished the surfaces where the trigger contacts the hammer.

To improve safety I have:
    + Sealed the BB cover shut with epoxy.
    + Formed the BB hole in the breach cavity to not be a hole.
    + Removed the crosbolt safety.

So my question is:
Is there anything more that I can do to further improve the power of my Daisy 880? What has worked for others?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:51 pm Reply with quote
DavidSaunders
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I almost forgot to say:

My Goals are:
    1: Get this Daisy 880 shooting at up to 850FPS at 12 pumps with the Winchester Round nose 9.8 grain pellets.
    2: Keep it safe.
    3: Maintain the extraordinary accuracy that this Daisy 880 has Smile .

If I can achieve those goals:
It will give me an excuse to do some target practice out to 150 yards Smile. Now I limit myself to 100 yards with this gun for target shooting (30 yards for hunting).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:02 pm Reply with quote
DavidSaunders
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
So is it that no one else likes the single most accurate gun that you can get for under $400?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:24 pm Reply with quote
DougInAZ
If there's any gain left to be had, I bet it isn't much!. I wonder if you checked if there is any free space between the end of the piston and end of the aluminum piece that supports the cup seal. I can't think of a good way to do that other than to put something crushable on the end of the piston and see how thick it is after a couple pumps. Maybe a small piece of almost-cured JB weld.

And then there's the rubber spacer/spring above the piston. Depending on its stiffness, it will compress and limit the pressure you can force into the pressure chamber. This is especially true if you managed to extend the pump stroke very much.

Do you find that there is little velocity gain after 12 pumps, or is it starting to feel that there is too much force for the type of construction?

I have a couple 880s (one metal receiver and one plastic) that I bought in well-used condition for $10 each. They are an impressive product for the $40 that Walmart sells them for.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:43 am Reply with quote
DavidSaunders
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
DougInAZ wrote:
If there's any gain left to be had, I bet it isn't much!. I wonder if you checked if there is any free space between the end of the piston and end of the aluminum piece that supports the cup seal. I can't think of a good way to do that other than to put something crushable on the end of the piston and see how thick it is after a couple pumps. Maybe a small piece of almost-cured JB weld.

I have only checked for full close at the lower pump counts thank you.
Quote:

And then there's the rubber spacer/spring above the piston. Depending on its stiffness, it will compress and limit the pressure you can force into the pressure chamber. This is especially true if you managed to extend the pump stroke very much.

I have thought about reinforcing that. I think I may do that next time I have the gun apart.
Quote:

Do you find that there is little velocity gain after 12 pumps, or is it starting to feel that there is too much force for the type of construction?

Actually it gets good gains up to 20 pumps at least. I just do not like pumping that much. It gets around 840FPS at 18 pumps. I am also worried about the stories I have heard of the pump tube popping lose from over-pumping.
Quote:

I have a couple 880s (one metal receiver and one plastic) that I bought in well-used condition for $10 each. They are an impressive product for the $40 that Walmart sells them for.

And a really good gun with just a little TLC. I get better results out of my Daisy 880 with less work, than what I can get with any of my Crosman MSP's.
My Daisy 880, is there even more power in it? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles