Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting » Urban Tree Rat Hunting / First Air Rifle Recommendation
Urban Tree Rat Hunting / First Air Rifle Recommendation 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:59 am Reply with quote
TyFlyer21
Hello All,
I'm in the market for tree rat destroyer. I've been using a friend's pump (Crosman I believe) to date. I did have some success but now I'm looking to step it up for the season.

Here is the background:
For use in the suburbs (my backyard)
Not overly concerned with noise as my neighbors support the cause
Quality piece I will likely hand down / enjoy with my kids
Likely .177

My initial thought is to roll with the RWS Diana 34P.

Any other recommendations/feedback on my quest to find the hold grail is certainly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:15 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Sorry, your first choice is excellent. I'd personally go for a wooden version but that's personal taste. Razz

Maybe, just maybe, I'd go for something more powerfull in .22 though. Neutral

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
I have to warn you: If you stop right now, you can avoid the addiction.

I agree about the RWS 34 series. I don't have one (yet), but I've read only good things about them. There are more pellet choices in .177, but .22 might be better for hunting. Either caliber would work for your purpose. If you're considering a scope, I would endorse one with an adjustable objective lens.

Do you have room to shoot indoors? Part of the beauty of airguns is that they can be shot indoors (with a proper backstop) when the weather is nasty.

Later on when you have made your decision ask questions about pellet selection, break-in period, and the "artillery hold."

One other thing - we like pictures around here. Pictures of groups. Pictures of animals you've hunted. Pictures of your gun. It doesn't matter how good you are or how fancy your equipment is. We're addicts, and any fix is good.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:35 pm Reply with quote
lampy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Just to muddy up the waters and make the decision more difficult, have you considered the Benjamin 397 or 392. The variable power of the pumper comes in handy at times (like shooting indoors) and easier to shoot than a springer.
Don't get me wrong the 34 is an excellent choice, I guess the question is which one should be the first, there will be more.... many more

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quote
TyFlyer21
Slavia,
Can you point me in the right direction when it comes to new rifle break-in and maintenance?

I was multiple firearms but not a single air rifle.

Thanks

Tony

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:24 am Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I loved my 392 till it got destroyed in a car wreck. They are accurate, but I will be honest, they are a b!tch to mount a scope onto.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:44 am Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
oddtodd wrote:
I loved my 392 till it got destroyed in a car wreck. They are accurate, but I will be honest, they are a b!tch to mount a scope onto.

Just get an Air Venturi Intermount for abou $30. Pops right on and then you have a Weaver rail for scope or whatever.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:25 pm Reply with quote
toadmyster223
I also suggest a .22.

They're really catching on these days, lots of ammo available, and I personally think a lot of them are better than their .177 counterparts.

You're on a good track, however.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:32 pm Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
.22 only for me. Hunting results have been best for me. Lots of momentum and good penetration and stopping power. Pellets easier to handle and load. Only disadvantage is somewhat steeper trajectory, but most air rifle hunting is under 35 yards, and honestly, there's no problem for me.

.22 was originally the mosy popular air rifle caliber in the US and, I presume, Canada too. .177 began to displace it from European imports and all official target shooting is .177. (Hence, the false rumor that .177 is inherently more accurate.)

Nothing against .177...I have an hunt with them sometimes...but the .22 is more efficient, power for pump, and more versatile, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:34 am Reply with quote
Staffy1
TyFlyer21 wrote:
Slavia,
Can you point me in the right direction when it comes to new rifle break-in and maintenance?

I was multiple firearms but not a single air rifle.

Thanks

Tony

Tony a spring gun may diesel a bit to strat with while it burns of any oil or grease which has ended up where it shouldn't. The guns take the first couple of hundred shots or so to settle down and they get more accurate once they have bedded in. The barrels will lead up and if you change brands of pellet you should clean barrel as that can affect accuracy. When I say clean I cut out a small patch of cotton and drop a doubled over bit of fishing line down the barrel . When it comes out put cotton patch through loop in line drop or two of oil on patch and pull it back through do it a couple of times till clean patch stays relatively clean . ...job done!!

Dont put oil in a springer (it will diesel and spoil accuracy/damage gun) just wipe the outside over. PCP guns just need a odd barrel clean and a seal change every three or four years.

RE: 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:23 pm Reply with quote
rualert
I have springers, CO2, and PCP / HPA guns. I also recommend 22 cal. Once your hooked, maybe consider an HPA, or PCP gun, I have an Air Force Talon SS with 177, 22, and 25 caliber barrels. As an example, Sunday it took a tree rat at 45 yards, and dropped it like a stone (22 cal). The 25 caliber setup on that gun will do from 65-90 ft lbs. The 22 caliber setup is currently tuned at 27 ft lbs, and will shoot 3/8" or smaller groups at 40 yards. Now the price tags go up on any pre-charged gun due to support equipment, but they shoot like your powder burners as far as hold, and the scopes you can use. So just remember if you start with a springer, make sure if you scope it, buy an air gun rated / springer rated scope. I know that sounds strange to most PB shooters, I used to also think if this scope can handle a 300 win mag, why not the springer. The springer's recoil forward, and back thus killing those nice rifle scopes.

Sorry this may just confuse you more, but once you get started, you will get hooked. Take a look around the Rifle area, and you will see some of the insanity we build, and shoot.

Casey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:13 am Reply with quote
Robw
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
.22 caliber is far superior to .177 caliber for hunting/pest control.

Reflect Jesus Christ-Not your surroundings.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:38 pm Reply with quote
old dad
Guess I'm still new at it, but my crossman storm, and ruger blackhawk have done for me all I need in tree ratting.

These were taken with both rifles varying 20-40 yards

these 3 taken within 15 mins. in my mom's back yard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:27 pm Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I usually just stick to starlings. I like watching the squirrels frolic and play too much. Plaus I have one trained to eat out of my hand. Starlings on the other hand are the lil wayne of the bird world. THey don't hop like other birds, no they strut. It's like look at me I am so badd a$$. Not only that they run the good birds out of the feeders. Since I have been cleaning the starlings out of my dad's yard, He has a lot more sparrows, cardinals and robins.

I hate crows too. They just think they are all that too. My dad has a dog, Molly. She hates me with a passion and I don't know why. The other three dogs like me. You gotta watch sam though, if you aren't careful he will bite you. He has never drwan blood on me but he's bit me a few times and it hurts. The crows like to swoop on the dogs and scare them though. I take crows out at every opportunity, strip all the feathers off, get the breast and the leg meat and boil it up for the dogs for a special treat. Since I only go for head shots( If I miss let the bastards suffer a slow agnonizing death) There is plenty of meat. I pour it over their dog food and they love it!.

Pigeons I kill and don't touch. THey go straight into a walmart bag into the trash. They all carry stuff like ringworm and fleas with avian diseases that can transfer over to humans in my area.

I used to like fried squirrel and rabbit, but Molly has too much fun watching them thru the back door. And since she is very protective of my dad I am happy to do that for her even though she bites my ankles from behind when I am trying to walk out the door. I usually wear jeans so it doesn't hurt.

My titan and my custom 2400 both in .22 does the job quickly and efficiently. THey have more pellet drop than a .177, but I have learned to compensate with the mildots. I only use the titan for crow though. THe 2400, being CO2 doesn't hacve enough a$$ for crows. I have a .177 storm and a Beeman RS2 in .177, but I find I wouund more birds with those, and except for the crows, I don't like that. I know it sounds cruel, but as bad as they torture the dogs I don't mind watching crows suffer till I get the next shot ready. Does that make me sadistic? I hope not because it does matter for any other bird. I don't like wounding starlings or pigeons. One shot one kill is my motto. I go only for heart/lung shots with those.Well, that is my two cents with change. Mind yoiu I don't mind other people killing squirrels, it just something I don't do. Just eat what you kill and send the tails to mepps. THey have a website www.mepps.com and they pay pretty good if you have enough tails. Just make wure you follow their instructions or they won't take them.

Have a happy hunting day and remember a bad day huning is still better than a good day at work!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote
T191032
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
"I hate crows too. They just think they are all that too."

Watched some Grackles vs Blue Jays in the back yard last year. Thinking of arming the Blue Jays this year, even though they held their own.

"I like watching the squirrels frolic and play too much."

Been told I can't kill mine, so I got them trained to run for their tree. (One running by me one day when I was gunning for groundhog - Priceless!) For the "Tree rats", .22 would be the likely better choice.
Urban Tree Rat Hunting / First Air Rifle Recommendation 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting