Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » Co2 expansion and frosting problem- Solutions?
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
Co2 expansion and frosting problem- Solutions? 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:55 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
I've been tweaking one of my disastrous Crosman 1077s. Finally have it where it isn't totally absurd in it's power output- but still well below the stated factory "maximum" velocity.

Not part of the tuning issue- but the gun tends to blow liquid Co2 out the end of the barrel after a few shots. The 1077, as I'm sure everyone knows- is a dual-action repeater (12 shots per magazine)- so it's much more prone to frosting as there is no "reload" time required to allow the internal parts to warm up again.

Initially I had thought that maybe some of my tweaking was causing the problem, but soon realized it is simply frosting of the valve assembly combined with too short a barrel.

Has anyone successfully implemented any sort of solution (on any Co2 gun) to solve a frosting problem? I.e. some sort of battery-powered heater on/around a valve or maybe an expansion chamber before the Co2 gets to the valve chamber? I know a lot of paintball people buy external expansion chambers- which is great if you have a remote tank with a feed line- but that is not the case here.

Any ideas on what might be a workable solution to eliminate the frosting (and shooting only in 80+ degree temperatures only is not "workable" - Wink )?

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Co2 expansion and frosting problem- Solutions? 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:14 pm Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 07 Mar 2007
Posts: 1060
Location: Herefordshire, UK
Hi

If I said the thought has never passed through my mind... I'd be lying!!!

Usually the easiest solution is to only to use the 1077 when it's hot outside! But when it's winter it can be very boring!

A solution to this problem is very difficult to come across! But if there is a solution out there it probably involves a coil of copper wire and a small rechargeable battery of some sort!!

I'll keep thinking though! maybe someday a solution will be invented and mass produced for CO2 airguns!! That will be the day!!!

Stevie Thumb Up!

_________________
"Who Dares Wins" - SAS 22nd Regiment Hereford.
View user's profile Send private message
all ready sorted 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:13 am Reply with quote
herne2007
New Member
New Member
Joined: 24 Apr 2007
Posts: 6
my crossman ratcatcher god rest it's soul was a git for frosting up on ratting trips it does get cold in wales.my solution was a heat pad the kind you keep in your pockets place around cylinder with elastic bands and shoot away .ok not a good looking mod but it works is cheap and over the chorno worth a few extra fps....and your hand is kept warm whilst shooting.
View user's profile Send private message
Heat Pads!! 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:24 am Reply with quote
StevieLaner7777
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 07 Mar 2007
Posts: 1060
Location: Herefordshire, UK
How hot do those Heat Pads get???

I don't think I've ever used one!!

Stevie Thumb Up!

_________________
"Who Dares Wins" - SAS 22nd Regiment Hereford.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:33 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
I had thought of the "heat pad" idea- but it could only work if you're using the 88g AirSource bottles, not the 12g caplets/bulbs.

Also- how well does it work? Will it keep things from frosting up? I'm quite curious as the path from the AS bottle to the barrel is probably a good 20" once you take all the plumbing into account.

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:24 pm Reply with quote
herne2007
New Member
New Member
Joined: 24 Apr 2007
Posts: 6
Not to sure at what temp they reach as i have never tested one but this is how i use them..
plan ratting trip ie bait area,charge lamps.
purchase pack of heat pads and before setting off to shoot place five co2 caps in a case with a pad either side ,when ready to shoot place heated cap in gun and place one pad along fore end just above trigger guard check you can still load and off you go.
used this for 2 yrs never had a frosting prob only extra fps and warm hands i know not everyone will be happy with this but it seems to work 4 me..
remember to check zero as it can shoot a little higher due to the warm gas being more perky...
View user's profile Send private message
Co2 expansion and frosting problem- Solutions? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 1  

  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.