Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Optics » Home style scope repair ?
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
Home style scope repair ? 
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
garththomas
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 12 Jan 2012
Posts: 165
Location: Ontario, Canada
Just a question, I have a tasco scope that was inexpensive and I'm pretty sure its broken. It won't hold zero and I get some geometric patterns across my targets. I was thinking about opening it up and seeing if I could spot the problem and fix it myself. Anybody ever try this.

_________________
QB57
Backyard Sweeper
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:15 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
Can't say I have tried such a thing with anything more expensive than a $10.00 4x20 plastic POS- but if it's out of warranty- what have you got to lose? If nothing else, it might be an interesting learning experience.

However, check if you do have a warranty- many Tasco's have a Lifetime warranty (not all):

http://www.tasco.com/pages/repair-and-warranty/

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:42 pm Reply with quote
garththomas
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 12 Jan 2012
Posts: 165
Location: Ontario, Canada
I know my warranty is up, its a $40.00 scope 3-9x32. It probably saw 1500 shots before breaking. I can hear something rattling near the power adjustment ring I guess I'll give it a try. I was googling how but it might take a while to find any good instructions, maybe I'll invest in a compressed air can and some good lens cleaner stuff first as well as some sort of glue that I can inject with a syringe or something.

_________________
QB57
Backyard Sweeper
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
garththomas
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 12 Jan 2012
Posts: 165
Location: Ontario, Canada
Well I took off the eye piece unit for lack of a better term, its the first section you look through and it contains 2 lens. The inside lens is what was rattling, so I tightened the lock ring real snug and put it back together good as new. I was lucky it wasn't worse, I imagine if there was any gas inside it was long gone already. Now back to setting the parallax to where I had it before I started adjusting everything to compensate for the loose lens. Case closed.

_________________
QB57
Backyard Sweeper
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:56 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
Sounds good- but you will have problems with fogging as a result of air/moisture inside it now- which, if it had leaked out previously you would have had anyways...

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote
garththomas
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 12 Jan 2012
Posts: 165
Location: Ontario, Canada
I guess it will have to be my sunny day scope. Laughing

_________________
QB57
Backyard Sweeper
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 4139
Location: Linconshire, ENGLAND
If you know someone who works in a hospital lab or university science department they should be able to re-gas your scope with Nitrogen.

Al

_________________


View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
 
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:38 pm Reply with quote
garththomas
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 12 Jan 2012
Posts: 165
Location: Ontario, Canada
I tried it outside tonight at 30yds and its good, i adjusted the parallax by turning it up to 9 and adjusting the objective lens to focus best at 30yds and that way it just starts to go out of focus over but it stays in down to 3, I figure 30 is good enough for my needs. I do work at a hospital and have access to lots of good stuff, if I was to puurge the scope wouldn't I have to put it in a bag of gas and the disassemble and reassemble. I don't have any optical grease to apply to be sure of a good seal though.

_________________
QB57
Backyard Sweeper
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 9:10 am Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 1183
Location: Just south of "Out There"- Land O Lakes Ontario
I repaired a pair of binoculars on the ship once for a similar issue. As far as I can tell the grease on the seals is just silicone.

I have no idea if it was the right or wrong way but I put the bino's in the biggie sized ziplock and purged with canned nitrogen. As I pulled the little straw out I sealed the ziplok then just slid the ocular in from outside the bag.

_________________
Sean
View user's profile Send private message
Home style scope repair ? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Optics
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 1  

  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.