Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » Temperature change and dieseling
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
Temperature change and dieseling 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:39 pm Reply with quote
twalter
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 12 Jun 2011
Posts: 180
Location: East TN USA
Ive recently began to have a dieseling issue. Backstory is...

I have the gamo hunter 220 and back in the fall I cleaned the barrel by pulling patches with a snake and used simple green as the cleaning agent. This sent my accuracy all over the place and took care of dieseling for short period of time. I cleaned it a few more times in the same manner till I though I got all the gunk out of the barrel. Thing is it started to get cold and stay that way and on top of that I was keeping it in the van under some blankets always at the ready to go if I was out and about with some time to kill. Once in a while when it would warm up I would get a serious cook off then I would go back to no dieseling. I have recently moved from NY out to NV(elevation change of 5050 or so) and now this thing diesels on every shot again and the pellets are behaving erratically. It goes without mentioning that it is much warmer out here also.

Now to the point of my rambling... Im guessing this grease/oil is coming from the spring/seals area of the rifle and to get rid of it Im going to have to tear it down and clean it out. Im not sure which paste/tar to use and looking for suggestions and while I have it apart what spring and seal kit would be good to have on hand?


Last edited by twalter on Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________
Benjamin Marauder .25 cal scoped with Bushnell 4-16/40AO CF with Hill hand pump
Gamo Hunter 220 .177 with CP 4-16/AO
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:36 pm Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 1138
Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA
Yeah, sounds like the grease/oil is running in the heat and getting into the compression area, I agree.
I usually just go to Jim Maccari's air rifle headquarters website and snoop around for seals and springs and stuff that fits. That's where you'll find spring tar and moly paste lube, too.

cheers,
Rob

_________________
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote
twalter
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 12 Jun 2011
Posts: 180
Location: East TN USA
Basically wanted to speak it out and get confirmation, thanks. I was also fishing for the Jim Maccari's website that I had forgotten to bookmark a while back.

_________________
Benjamin Marauder .25 cal scoped with Bushnell 4-16/40AO CF with Hill hand pump
Gamo Hunter 220 .177 with CP 4-16/AO
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 1138
Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA
Ya. Search under Air Rifle Headquarters.

_________________
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:36 am Reply with quote
shawnhu
Member
Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Posts: 62
Hey Walt! Nice to see that you are settling in after the move, and getting some shooting in. Sorry to hear about your problem, but what exactly is dieseling, and how can I go about in checking if I have this problem?
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
twalter
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 12 Jun 2011
Posts: 180
Location: East TN USA
Thanks Shawn. Its was nice to finally get out and do some shooting. I have a good Army friend that lives over the the Ca side of the Serria's and he was all stoked to take his AR and .22 out and blast away. We happened upon a NPSS that was on sale for 250 in .177 and needless to say he picked it up. We have it sighted in and the magic pellet seems to the be the 8.44 JSB's. He now leaves the AR and .22 at home when he comes and we have shoot arounds with the air rifles. Last time we were shooting off rocks for rests and hitting rimfire .22 rounds we found in the dirt @ 25 yards. He is now a air gun convert, ground squirrels beware!

I almost forgot, dieseling is when grease gets in the barrel or in front of the seal area and you "cook" one off. You see the smoke hanging in the barrel usually after a nasty diesel.

_________________
Benjamin Marauder .25 cal scoped with Bushnell 4-16/40AO CF with Hill hand pump
Gamo Hunter 220 .177 with CP 4-16/AO
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:37 pm Reply with quote
domer_pyle
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 17 Sep 2009
Posts: 523
Diesel engines don't use spark plugs, they get combustion from quick compression. Hence the term "dieseling". I get the same thing with some of my springers when it gets hot outside. Usually not enough for a report but the smoke lingers in the barrel
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:01 am Reply with quote
shawnhu
Member
Member
Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Posts: 62
Hmm, I get that almost every shot.... smoking gun effect. Usually more noticable once I open the barrel to load another pellet. What's the fix?
View user's profile Send private message
Temperature change and dieseling 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 1  

  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.