Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » Is there anything I can do to a Gamo Viper? Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
Is there anything I can do to a Gamo Viper? 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:29 pm Reply with quote
toadmyster223
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 20 Mar 2012
Posts: 501
Location: Fayette Nam, PA
I'm pretty satisfied with this gun, shoots great, lots of power and speed. I was wondering what kind of simple modifications I could do to it. Would it be difficult to mount in a wooden stock? Can I work on my trigger at all?


And I know I'm gonna catch some hate for having a Gamo, but it wasn't too expensive, and I've been pretty satisfied with it for the few years I've had it. Can't really afford to invest in a new gun, but I want to spice mine up a little.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:13 am Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 1183
Location: Just south of "Out There"- Land O Lakes Ontario
Why would you catch hate It's an airgun and you like it...thats what matters
Yes there sure is

A basic lube and tune is universal and is well suited for any of the chinese clones

Replace the plastic hinge washers with some premade or homespun brass versions

Yes the trigger can benifit greatly from basic polishing or replacement with a suitable aftermarket.

Moving from one stock to another is usually a piece of cake. Anything within your clone family will fit with minor work usually

_________________
Sean
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 1138
Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA
Is this a B18/19 platform? If so, there are triggers available....

_________________
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
toadmyster223
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 20 Mar 2012
Posts: 501
Location: Fayette Nam, PA
B18 or 19? How would I tell that?
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 1183
Location: Just south of "Out There"- Land O Lakes Ontario
Yes it is a B18/19 varient

_________________
Sean
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
toadmyster223
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 20 Mar 2012
Posts: 501
Location: Fayette Nam, PA
Can anyone give me a quick rundown on how to take it apart? I don't wanna trump myself and not be able to put it back together when I want. I see one big obvious screw behind the trigger, but nothing else. Looks like there might be some hidden under the moldings in the forearm, but I don't want to pry them off and find out blindly. Who can recommend a good website for replacement stocks? I was sort of thinking of carving my own from a rifle blank.

Just found a very detailed tune-up guide for B19s, but none of my bolts match their descriptions, lol.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:42 pm Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 1183
Location: Just south of "Out There"- Land O Lakes Ontario
Your rifle is the same as the phantom, Quest, classic, optimus etc etc etc.

Google b18/19 variants for a complete list.

Yes there two screws in the forearm and the one behind the trigger.

Please do a little research before you try to open up the main tube.It not scary but you can be injured if you don't restrain the spring..There are lots of very informative you tube videos

_________________
Sean
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:44 pm Reply with quote
toadmyster223
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 20 Mar 2012
Posts: 501
Location: Fayette Nam, PA
Indeed, I did find something about making a spring compressor. Alright, cool. Gotta say, Google isn't helping me very much
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:52 pm Reply with quote
toadmyster223
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 20 Mar 2012
Posts: 501
Location: Fayette Nam, PA
Now, if all I want to do is take the assembly out of the stock, and fiddle with my trigger, will I have any reason to decompress the spring? I'm afraid that if I take these forearm nuts out somethings gonna hit my in the face and/or nuts
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:54 pm Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 1183
Location: Just south of "Out There"- Land O Lakes Ontario
Nope the family jewels are safe.

_________________
Sean
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:07 pm Reply with quote
toadmyster223
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 20 Mar 2012
Posts: 501
Location: Fayette Nam, PA
Great. I'm really having no luck finding any wooden stocks, surely one of you guys knows a good website that I'm just not finding. Best I've found is people swapping on forums.


Also, I wanted to lap my barrel crown, but I was quickly thwarted when I found the big wonky thing on end of my barrel that the fake, shiny, outside-shroud-thing screws into. Looking down into it, it looks like my pellets have to travel through a good half inch of nothing after the rifling stops, and I don't where my crown could begin. Could I lop the whole end off my barrel and rebuild a shroud, or do you think that would **** up my trajectory? Having looked at the thing in the end of the barrel, I'm surprised I get any accuracy from it at all
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:15 am Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 1183
Location: Just south of "Out There"- Land O Lakes Ontario
Yes you have to get all the stuff off to do a crown. I have never worked on a viper but I have yet to see a B18/19 that didn't dissasemble in one of two ways

The versions with a plastic muzzle brake/foresight usually tap off with a block of wood and a hammer

The versions with a shroud tube the cap unscrews and the shroud slides off.

http://youtu.be/8PG-VHKfe0Y

_________________
Sean
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:47 am Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 1138
Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA
toadmyster223 wrote:
B18 or 19? How would I tell that?

Sorry, I was asking Sean. He knows all this stuff.

Here's what I did to my Crosman Quest which is the same basic rifle under a different name. It is also a Chinese B18/19: http://www.airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=7958&start=0

Are you keeping the synthetic stock, or just want to switch to wood? If you just want a wood stock, permanently, PM me. I have another B18/19 (a Remington Vantage 1200) with a good wood stock I'd be willing to convert to synth if you want to trade stocks even up.

Welcome to the forum, BTW.

-Rob

_________________
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:26 am Reply with quote
toadmyster223
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 20 Mar 2012
Posts: 501
Location: Fayette Nam, PA
I've got a buddy that I think can do a semiprofessional job on the barrel. I dunno where I picked up this bug to mess with my rifle, but the good weather really has me itching haha
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:07 am Reply with quote
Slavia
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Posts: 4382
Location: Waseca, Minnesota, USA
I think originally the B18/B19 was a Chinese clone of the Gamo 440, with the B18 in .177 and the B19 in .22. Then Crosman started marketing them under both the Crosman and Remington brands, and under a slew of model names. Look at the parts lists for many of the Crosman break-barrel guns and you'll see "B18" and "B19" in the part numbers for just about everything:
http://www.crosman.com/cs/manuals/crosman-rifles

Polishing a muzzle crown isn't a hard process - check this link out:
http://www.airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=15

This was my jump into the B18/19 world:
http://www.airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=1760&start=0

_________________
¡Listo! ¡Apunte! ¡Fuego!
View user's profile Send private message
Is there anything I can do to a Gamo Viper? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 2  
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.