Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » Spring gun accuracy Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:23 pm Reply with quote
pabuin
New Member
New Member
Joined: 07 Dec 2007
Posts: 9
You guys may be on to something regarding a loose barrel on the Gamo rifles.

I just bought my third is a Wisper Deluxe Combo but this is the only one I have with front and rear adjustable sights. Without using the scope the gun is deadly using mostly any ammo but with Gamo Match Pellets is frightning and very powerfull. At 45 yards I can hit the small ammo cans with a rest or hand held with 85% accuracy. Needless to say I have no more lizzards in the back yard.

Now if I was to use the scope forget it is all over the place lucky to get a 10 inch group at same distance. Thus you guys are right the barrel must have some type of play, since the sights are installed on the "BARREL" and the scope is mounted on the piston body.

All in all I wouldn't change this gun for any other is it tough and I have shot over 2000 rounds thus far and no complaints.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:37 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2007
Posts: 5714
Location: City of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Uhm, a lot of professional airgunshooters don't use a scope but a diopter/peepsight.

At first, I have no idea what kind of scope you own. That sometimes makes a difference, since it might not be springer rated. In springers, we have light, medium and heavy (magnum) springers.

Heavy springers are also known as scopekillers, in which case you need a dampa-mount. Also get a heavy springer rated one for a magnum.

Medium springers are often provided with a backstop for the scope mounts, and they are a bit more gentle on scopes, however you'll still need to be carefull about the scope you're gonna put on.

Then there is light springers. Most scopes will do on these.

Now, another thing that might be why your groups are all over the place with a scope is that you may be to close. You have to have at least 7 centimer clearance between the scope and you. also be sure that your jaw is in the right position. Some people move their jaw to reach the wood, but you won't shoot as tight as when you have a relaxed jaw. I've tested it.
Mr. Green

In other words, are you looking down the scope correctly. Exclamation

_________________
BIG GAP
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:16 pm Reply with quote
pabuin
New Member
New Member
Joined: 07 Dec 2007
Posts: 9
Helo Broomaste

The scope that came with the rifle is a ( BSA ) GAMO VF39X40WR it has a super mount and centering pin and the rifle a a great scope rail bolted down. It seems to be a well secure scope rail system.

Ill take note on the eye-piece distance as you mentioned. The grouping I was trying to obtain with the scope was at 45-50 yards. It is very frustrating since the rifle without the scope is very accurate and with the power it has I thought I could do some taget shooting at much greater distance.

You are right I love to shoot it much more without the scope. I am going to have the gun tuned by the Tuna, new trigger and smoother mechanisnm may go a long way. If successful after the tune-up I just may get another scope.

Ill have it done after the holydays. Keep you guys posted

Happy Holidays.... sh!t Marrey X Mas to all...I want to be politicaly incorrect for a change. Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:44 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
If you could, ssk 'the tuna' what he will do to tighten up the barrel to receiver area to help stop the barrel movement/scope issue. I'm really just curious how he may solve it- maybe putting in solid bushings or some other technique.

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:16 pm Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 21 May 2007
Posts: 757
AirGunEric wrote:
If you could, ssk 'the tuna' what he will do to tighten up the barrel to receiver area to help stop the barrel movement/scope issue. I'm really just curious how he may solve it- maybe putting in solid bushings or some other technique.
On some, the detent can be repaired, using a few different methods, as the spring could be weak, stuck or the catch may be unaligned. Others just require replacement due to machining flaws, thought that seems fairly rare.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:43 pm Reply with quote
pabuin
New Member
New Member
Joined: 07 Dec 2007
Posts: 9
I am really confused as to why the problem with the scope and errant shooting patterns. I just got back from the range. I took my Marling .22 Mag and installed the scope. At the same distance of 50 Yds I was shooting with the Gamo Whisper Delux and after seeting the scope I was able to repeat shot after shot. So that eliminates the scope.

In fact I was able to adjust elevation for 100 Yrds and bingo no problems either. So I dont think is the scope.

The other only other thing has to be some type of barrel play. I dont have the expertise to delope any kind of rig to measure this fault. I have taking it for granted that the Tuna can. I will give him a call or shoot him an e-mail and find out from him. Will keep you guys posted.
View user's profile Send private message
Re: Spring gun accuracy 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:01 pm Reply with quote
BCSteel
Member
Member
Joined: 14 Sep 2007
Posts: 88
Location: Sitting in Front of my Computer
DAS wrote:
If I shoot the gun VERY carefully by holding it just right, and resting it just right, I can shoot some pretty nice groups ( about 1" at 20 yards). When I'm hunting though, I can't hit anything. Hold the gun too tight > MISS, hold the gun too loose > MISS, rest it on a fence post > MISS!



This is how my Phantom shoots as well. It is very hold sensitive. The best hold that I have found so far is the sitting field target position. With that position I can shoot under 2" groups at 30 yards. With other positions I will get bigger groups but can keep them managable. My gun shoots best with the butt firmly against my shoulder and the forestock hand pulling the stock into my shoulder with out grasping it too firmly. Anything else besides those two techniques and its all over the place.

It takes a lot of practice to manage the recoil of a heavy hitting springer, as I'm finding out and I am by no means an acomplished shooter, these are just a couple of things that I have noticed.

_________________
"Comfort in the known prevents us from discovering the unknown" - Jed Davis
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:24 pm Reply with quote
23ib0d0n
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 21 May 2007
Posts: 757
Potent springers are tough to master. Webley 'lockup' is famous, earning the term 'Webley barrel slap' to state how impressive barrel detent pressure is.

That said, unsupported, off hand, it is still a beast to shoot . . .

and this is at the miniscule distance of 10m . . . Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:21 pm Reply with quote
DAS
Member
Member
Joined: 14 Nov 2007
Posts: 15
Eric,
CdT told me that he could install a heavier lockup spring if he thought it was too weak. When he checked mine, he thought it was OK though and just left it alone.

The scope that came with my rifle (the same one described by Pabuin)actually could not be adjusted to point of aim without shimming the mount in the back to tip the scope down. When I just mounted it as instructed, I ran the elevation adjustment all the way off the end.

With the red dot that I have on it now I'm doing pretty well with it. No way, no how, would I try a fifty yard shot though. 30 yards is as far as I would attempt to hit anything. The red dot is 5moa which is 1.25" at 25 yards.

For me, the accuracy of these guns is pretty limiting. With my .308, I can put 5 shots through one hole about the size of a penny at 100 yards. With my .17HMR I can form one hole about the size of a 9mm slug at 100 yards. Both from a bench of course. I had heard so much about the accuracy of airguns that I had expected better than what I ended up with.

Still, it does have a place. It's fun to plink with, and I can hunt with it as long as I limit the range. Actually the red dot limits the range about right. If the dot covers the kill zone, that's the max range I would shoot. CdT's tuning and trigger has made the gun much more enjoyable to shoot as well.

David
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Westonhill
Member
Member
Joined: 09 Nov 2007
Posts: 71
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
DAS wrote:

... When I just mounted it as instructed, I ran the elevation adjustment all the way off the end....

Breakbarrels are notorious for barrel drooping. Have you tried to use an adjustable mount? This is a step-by-step guide on how to install an adjustable scope mount.
View user's profile Send private message
One more thing before the big bucks! 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:15 pm Reply with quote
BBGun Bob
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 29 Oct 2007
Posts: 474
Location: Michigan
Das,You may want to check the end of your muzzle It may have a burr in the crown.To check this stick a Q-tip down it,then slowly pull it out.If there are hairs hanging out or in there you have a bad crown.You can polish this with a slotted #8 machine screw and some Fine valve lapping compound.Or just roll some 600 sand paper in to a small funnel and spin it.The Q-tip will hang on the slightest burr and this can throw your accuracy right out the window.Just a tip I learned along time ago.

Respectfully BBGun Bob in Michigan

_________________
Air Guns Create Many Questions ! !
Together We Can Answer Them ! !
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:49 pm Reply with quote
thepaladin
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 12 Dec 2007
Posts: 930
Location: TN USA
I've got a Crosman 800 (.22) and 1000 (.177) and both while inexpensive will place less than one inch groups (with proper hold). I also have a few other springers (the most high end is an older Webely that was made in England) in .25. I would say if you check the screws and there isn't a problem in that department and you're sure you've got the grip down (you can't hold a springer too tight, you have to let it recoil. i tend to almost allow mine to rest on my palm.) then I'd have it checked out. Inexpensive doesn't necessarily mean "cheap". I don't own a Gamo rifle, but they are large enough that they want a good rep.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:44 pm Reply with quote
kiriakos
New Member
New Member
Joined: 01 Jan 2008
Posts: 3
I completely disagree with all the bad publicity of Gamo. They are excellent guns in all respects and some of them are better than known brands. I personally have the Shadow 1000 and I am quite happy with it concerning power, accuracy and finish.
Holding it the right way and using basic shooting techniques will satisfy any one. Of course with live targets it becomes more difficult to have good accuracy, as these targets are moving even by a few mm and they are not standing still. The anxiety also of the shooter to hit it in a harry leads to misses. I am also having difficulty hitting sparrows, they move a lot.

I think unless there is a defective gun, accuracy is a matter of getting acquainted with the specific gun, use the right shooting technique and hold properly the gun. This pertains to all guns.I disagree
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:32 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
The 'proof is in the pudding' as the saying goes. Das had problems with the gun- sent it off to CharliedaTuna, and here is the result:

http://www.airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=798


I'd have to say- if the gun fired like a potato cannon, then got some expert tuning and now shoots like a dream- his gun, for one, was a piece of crap- straight from Gamo.

Sure, some people believe certain manufacturers products are always wonderful- look at all the Crosman fanatics. But just believing in something doesn't make it true.

As a comparator- Crosman guns, for the most part, almost always need work to be decent shooters. Gamo, it seems, has this problem frequently as well. This is not to suggest either company is producing just junk- but let's not delude ourselves into thinking $200 airguns are fine-tuned precision instruments straight out-of-the-box. Gamo is producing a number of airguns in Turkey now- and as we know by looking at Webley the last few years, the Turks need some serious quality control put in place for things to come out consistently and properly.

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Westonhill
Member
Member
Joined: 09 Nov 2007
Posts: 71
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
kiriakos wrote:
I completely disagree with all the bad publicity of Gamo. They are excellent guns in all respects and some of them are better than known brands. I personally have the Shadow 1000 and I am quite happy with it concerning power, accuracy and finish. ...

Would you mind telling us what other guns besides that Gamo Shadow 1000 do you actually have? And, incidentally what other "known brands" are you talking about exactly?

kiriakos wrote:
I think unless there is a defective gun, accuracy is a matter of getting acquainted with the specific gun, use the right shooting technique and hold properly the gun. This pertains to all guns.I disagree

Now, this is a true statement and I agree with you 100%.
View user's profile Send private message
Spring gun accuracy 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 2 of 4  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.