Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting » Pick your poison ?
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
 

Which would you choose ? 1) Benj. Marauder : 2) RWS 350 Feuerkraft Pro Compact ; or 3) RWS 460 Magnum ?
.177 or
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
.22 cal
90%
 90%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 20

Pick your poison ? 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
OH. Lefty
New Member
New Member
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 8
Location: Massillon,OH.
Need to make a choice for a gun to do both hunting & targeting? Quiet , accurate , & powerful ... which one to get ???

_________________
" try to give back from that which you take ... "
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Goosehawk
Member
Member
Joined: 06 Jan 2012
Posts: 21
Location: North Carolina
RWS 460 Magnum if money is not a issue. .22cal
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Chart77
New Member
New Member
Joined: 14 Feb 2012
Posts: 2
Location: Rochester, NY
Marauder .22. They are all good options and "rated" at about the same FPS but you want “quiet” and the Marauder is shrouded and quieter by comparison to the other choices. For hunting it's a repeater so if a follow-up is necessary you can get one off quicker than a break barrel.
For target shooting it's recoil is less and not as hold sensitive as the other choices. For what it's worth Archer's “Rate a gun” score (http://www.archerpelletguns.com/rateagun-rate-a-gun-score-reviews-s/25.htm ) puts the Marauder at roughly one-third the level of difficulty to accurately shoot compared to the RWS options.
Because of the low recoil you have more scope choices because you can use a non-airgun rated scope. It's also about a pound lighter than the others. The air source will jack up the total cost (Hill pump or tank and ongoing fill price). The RWS rifles are great performers particularly the 460, so you really won't go wrong on whatever decision you make.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:55 pm Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 1138
Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA
I like the 460, but isn't the 54 recoiless? I'd like that even betterer.

_________________
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 1183
Location: Just south of "Out There"- Land O Lakes Ontario
Depends on the "targeting" If you want to shoot in sporter class either formal or informal then .177

You can hunt with .177 but you can't shoot target with .22

For plinking .22 is way more fun when you stretch out the range into ridiculous distances

_________________
Sean
View user's profile Send private message
' Dawn of a New Day' 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:33 am Reply with quote
OH. Lefty
New Member
New Member
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 8
Location: Massillon,OH.
I would like to Thank All of you taking the time to reply ! I enjoy your imput & have been soaking it up ... as of this morning , I've wiped my slate clean ... meaning I'm open to any gun , that would be ' the right fit ' ... as with anybody , just want the best gun for my budget ! I already have a scope I can use , but would like to stay @ $500 - 700. Again , thank you all ! I 'm green when it comes to all the new equipment out there today ... your experience is appreciated Exclamation

_________________
" try to give back from that which you take ... "
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 1138
Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA
How';s about this one? http://www.airgunwarehouseinc.com/py-398-882.html
Not hold sensitive, and lots or power. The recoil is isolated from the shooter by a rail system so it shoots more like a pneumatic, but with the reliability and consistency of a springer.

_________________
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
View user's profile Send private message
Check it out 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:02 pm Reply with quote
OH. Lefty
New Member
New Member
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 8
Location: Massillon,OH.
Thanks Radar . I'll check the 54 out .

_________________
" try to give back from that which you take ... "
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:57 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Posts: 2998
Location: Coalmont, BC
Of those three, the MRod in .22 cal, hands down.... I'm not much on Magnum springers....

Bob

_________________
Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
Airsonal: Too many to count!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Airhead
Member
Member
Joined: 05 Feb 2012
Posts: 65
Location: Southern Ontario
I'm with rsterne on this one! mrod in .22cal

_________________
Webley Alecto .177
Webley Alecto .22
Benjamin Trail AW NP
Benjamin Classsic
Walthers CP Sport
View user's profile Send private message
Going M- Rod ! ... 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:07 am Reply with quote
OH. Lefty
New Member
New Member
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 8
Location: Massillon,OH.
I've decided to go M- Rod . I've heard lots of good said about a gun that is an ' entry level ' PCP . I'm now thinking of jumping to .25 cal. instead of .22 ... ... I have raccoons , groundhogs , oppossum , ... I'm sure the .22 cal would do it ... .25 cal may do it even harder & more humane. I want to thank everbody for their input ! I've enjoyed reading the knowledge passed along ! Safe Shooting !!

_________________
" try to give back from that which you take ... "
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:32 pm Reply with quote
robert w
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 12 Feb 2012
Posts: 574
Location: usa
i have a 54 and yes its recoil less and it hits hard but wish it was in 22 but i got it cheep and a 54 for less than $200. well it dont matter what caliber at that price

_________________
,crosman 400,gamo big cat in .22, diana 5g,diana 54 air king, diana 34 in .22 diana 34 in .177, wilrauch hw-55,and a romainian pioner training rifle , and a huge collection of powder burners 35 last count . 1 would think i have a gun store
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:08 pm Reply with quote
OH. Lefty
New Member
New Member
Joined: 07 Mar 2012
Posts: 8
Location: Massillon,OH.
... ended up getting an M-rod in .25 cal . That should take care of the 'big game ' : raccoons , groundhogs, oppossums , skunks , & crows ... 'small game ' : squirrels , rabbits , chipmunks , well , hopefully they won't know what hit them . Safe Shooting everybody !

_________________
" try to give back from that which you take ... "
View user's profile Send private message
Enjoy :)! 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:15 am Reply with quote
GoodEnough
Member
Member
Joined: 06 Feb 2012
Posts: 21
Wish they allowed them in Canada.
View user's profile Send private message
Re: Going M- Rod ! ... 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:12 am Reply with quote
twalter
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 12 Jun 2011
Posts: 180
Location: East TN USA
OH. Lefty wrote:
I've decided to go M- Rod . I've heard lots of good said about a gun that is an ' entry level ' PCP . I'm now thinking of jumping to .25 cal. instead of .22 ... ... I have raccoons , groundhogs , oppossum , ... I'm sure the .22 cal would do it ... .25 cal may do it even harder & more humane. I want to thank everbody for their input ! I've enjoyed reading the knowledge passed along ! Safe Shooting !!


Go .25 cal and dont look back. It is an absolute beast and shoots ragged holes on paper out to 50ish yards.

I think the .25 would be a better choice for your intended prey.

_________________
Benjamin Marauder .25 cal scoped with Bushnell 4-16/40AO CF with Hill hand pump
Gamo Hunter 220 .177 with CP 4-16/AO
View user's profile Send private message
Pick your poison ? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 1  

  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.