Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » First AG Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
First AG 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Scartch
Member
Member
Joined: 29 Jan 2012
Posts: 16
Location: Florida
Greetings
I've been lurking and researching for my first ag 'till I'm crosseyed.
Trying to stay around $150 - $200 in order to mount a decent scope. (Old guy eyes.)
Caliber of choice would be a 22.
I really like the convenience that a PCP offers, but the entry fee is kind of high for an item that I may leave in the closet in favor of my powder burning 22, should I become disenchanted with air. Then of course there are the extras, pump, tank, etc.
Been looking at springers but I'm not sure a break barrel is good for accuracy down the road. This leaves under levers and side levers which kinda makes more sense to me.
However, I understand that springers require a light hold (artilliry) in order to be accurate. Guess I could learn a new way to shoot. God help me when I return to the 30-06.
Which brings us to pneumatic spring. (hope thats correct ) Which I understand requires a good bit of strength in order to cock. Yep- torn tendon in my right arm. I'm not girlie weak but my shoulder talks to me when I shoot the heavys.
Would appreciate some additional guidance from anyone with more ag experience than the op.
Many thanks.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:59 pm Reply with quote
domer_pyle
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 17 Sep 2009
Posts: 523
I've got 5 breakbarrels and can't say I've ever had a problem with accuracy. Don't be scared off by the hold required for springers, some rifles are much more sensitive than others and a couple of mine can be held however with no problem.

The only side and under levers I can think of offhand in your price range are the Tech Force 59 and 99. Can't speak on those but I have two 89's and they are fairly well constructed, although a bit hold sensitive.

You might look into Crosman's Nitro Venom or the Benjamin Trail NP, both are fairly easy to cock and from what time I've spent with the Trail (I've got the XL) can say it's pretty forgiving as far as hold goes.

Another thing I forgot to ask which might help others, what are you using it for? Hope what little I've said was helpful at least. Welcome to the club btw!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 1183
Location: Just south of "Out There"- Land O Lakes Ontario
Hmmm

I have a suggestion that may fit all the things that I have heard you say

You want 22 cal
Would like a pcp but too expensive
Are concerned about the inherent accuracy of a springer
Not sure you want to learn the artillery hold
You would like to stay below $200 all in.
You have some shoulder issues that make you leary of the cocking force of Nitro Pistons

The QB 78 or 78Deluxe might be a very good fit for you

22 cal is standard
It can be converted to PCP for the minimal cost of a fill fitting
C02 and temperature is not an issue as you live in Florida
They don't have the springer recoil
The power can be easily boosted to an average springer (magnum springers are the most hold sensitive)
All in with a scope would be under $200

_________________
Sean
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:48 pm Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 1138
Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA
What he said

_________________
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:09 pm Reply with quote
NZ Shooter
Suspended
Joined: 17 Dec 2011
Posts: 146
Location: Dunedin, New Zealand
Not to sound rude, but PCP's aren't exactly convenient.
Take out a springer, and all you have to do is cock it...all day, every day.
There's alot to consider when using a PCP. Last thing I'd want is to be out of air while lining up a shot ..... just my opinion Mr. Green

_________________
Webley Patriot .22 @ 28 fpe
Nikko MountMaster 4x40 AO
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Scartch
Member
Member
Joined: 29 Jan 2012
Posts: 16
Location: Florida
Wow, great responses right off.
Domer, for the present I'll be using the ag strictly for target and plinking. In the next year I will be moving to a few acres in S.C. where I hope for small game, up to and including rabbit.
Quote:
You might look into Crosman's Nitro Venom or the Benjamin Trail NP

I remember that I looked at both of these as possibilities. I will re-visit them with a closer inspection.
Sean: Sorry if I wasn't clear.
I should have said that I was willing spend up to $200 for the rifle alone, but looking in the $150 to $200 range (sans scope). Didn't want to lock any responses into too small a box. Looking to buy the rifle and scope individualy, if possible.
I've not looked at either of your suggestions yet, but I'm off to do so.
Thank you very much for your help, gentlemen.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:35 am Reply with quote
Scartch
Member
Member
Joined: 29 Jan 2012
Posts: 16
Location: Florida
I'm back, but not complete with my investigation.
Sean:
You have really given me some food for thought. I keep returning to the Archer Air sight for another. It speaks to the tinkerer in me. I need to dig up more information.
Can any one address the temperature issue or limit for pcp's. I'll be moving to South Carolina, while still the south, it can get fairly cold.
Domer:
Took a second look and both that you mentioned are good choices. Prefer the Crosman because it has a traditional stock. (no thumbhole) I would need to call the dealer about a scope upgrade if I choose this ag.
Seems I'm in the middle concerning these two types. I guess I'll have to do a bit more digging. At least I can elliminate springers. Apologies to springer people.
Can't afford two airguns yet. Laughing
Thanks again for your input.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 1138
Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA
PCPs charged with air are virtually unaffected by ordinary outdoor temperature swings--for all practical purposes.
CO2 they say, does not like the cold very much, and on extremely hot summer days can even go into valve lock, where the CO2 pressure is so high due to the high temperature that the hammer stroke doesn't have enough power to pop open the gas exhaust valve fully--or at all--to let the gas out to drive the pellet out at full power--or at all. But that's just what I've read. My very first CO2 gun is on order right now.

_________________
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Scartch
Member
Member
Joined: 29 Jan 2012
Posts: 16
Location: Florida
Thanks for the heads up, Radar.
I should probably not consider CO2 for my first venture.
South Carolina will get both hotter and colder than Florida.
Narrows it down a bit more. I'm off to do some more forum haunting and research, research, research.
Good luck with your new AG.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 30 Dec 2008
Posts: 2029
Location: Richmond, IN USA
I never have had my CO2 rifles or pistols lock up on me from heat. I guess I am lucky that way. I have had them too cold though. It gets mighty frigid here in ohio in the fall and winter. It's been in the 60s here off and on during the last week and I've shot outside more than a few times. I still like my springers for cold work.

_________________
Airguns: Two starlings talking "Larry, did you hear that? Larry?? LARRY!!!!"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 1183
Location: Just south of "Out There"- Land O Lakes Ontario
I shoot my QB78 charged on C02 during the spring summer and fall then switch to high pressure air (PCP) during the winter.

The only reason for doing this is shots per fill. You get more shots with a fill of C02. Purely convenience.

BTW..At 100% fill it would need to be 120deg F or above to lock the valve on a QB. (1800psi)

If it gets to 120 I don't think you or the gun will be out hunting Laughing

_________________
Sean
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Scartch
Member
Member
Joined: 29 Jan 2012
Posts: 16
Location: Florida
I think that I have ignored an option that may work out very well.
Idea
A pump AG.
Say a Benjamin 392.
The beauty of the 392 is that I can deliver the number of pumps for the type of shooting That I want to do. Say 5 pumps for indoor target, 10 for outdoor or small game.
The cost is withen my range and leaves a bit for a decent scope.
Don't have to buy any extra stuff as it carries its own pump.
Thought I would run this by you guys and see what your thoughts are.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 30 Dec 2008
Posts: 2029
Location: Richmond, IN USA
The 392 is a very well built rifle. My cousin has one and I love the way it shoots. I just don't have the shoulders to pump one up anymore due to arthritis. It is a nice gun though.

_________________
Airguns: Two starlings talking "Larry, did you hear that? Larry?? LARRY!!!!"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:41 pm Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 1183
Location: Just south of "Out There"- Land O Lakes Ontario
The streaks (392 etc) are awesome rifles. I wouldn't try to dissuade you from that choice at all

_________________
Sean
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Scartch
Member
Member
Joined: 29 Jan 2012
Posts: 16
Location: Florida
Thank you gentlemen.
Your opinion is welcome and very much respected.
Quote:
due to arthritis

Understood. At 74 I have also had my bouts with Arthur. One of the reasons I'm cautious about my purchase.
Check P.M.
I'll check around at the various dealers and let you know when I pull the trigger.
View user's profile Send private message
First AG 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 2  
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.