Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » Best Rifle For Under $150 Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Best Rifle For Under $150 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:17 am Reply with quote
Buzz9mm
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and could really use some help. I'm looking for a pellet rifle that's capable of ~1000+fps for under $150. What's my best bet?

edit: also, I searched and didn't see anything relevant. Would really appreciate some help.

So far the 2 that I'm seeing in my price range are:

1) Gamo Hornet

2) Crosman Phantom

Which one should I get?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:33 am Reply with quote
shawnhu
I actually like the Crosman Nitro Venom for that price range.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:17 am Reply with quote
NZ Shooter
Suspended
Welcome.
Not to be a smart a$$, but can I ask why you are looking for 1000 fps, or more ??
Above around 950, you run into issues. There are rifles that will do as you want, of course.
If you want power, ignore fps..... look at fpe.
Buy a powerhouse .22, and I will bet you anything, the results you achieve will ( respectfully ) pull your head out of the 'fps' clouds.
BTW, 1000fps from the two rifles you mentioned are but a pipe dream, with pellets that won't shag your rifle.
Velocity is nothing without mass.
Velocity is nothing if you miss.
Did ya know a "1000 fps" Gamo will average 870-890 fps ?
Also worth considering, a magnum "1250 fps" Gamo will hit velocities only just on, or just over, 1000 real-world fps.
Of course this is not only a Gamo thing. These are examples I personally know of, and are common knowledge.
A "1000 fps" Gamo is 17fpe on average.
My 900 actual chrono'd fps Patriot is running at 28 fpe....

Food for thought ????? Cool

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:09 am Reply with quote
Buzz9mm
Thanks for the replies. I see what your saying. I looked up the Patriot, and it's a beautiful rifle, but there's no way I can spend $300+. I'm just looking for my best bet for an entry level .177 under $150. I mentioned those two because those are the only decent ones that I'm seeing for around that price. I saw the nitro one but that's also a bit expensive. Basically, if I had to get the Phantom or the Hornet, which one would you recommend?

Also, no offense but I have real rifles, so muzzle energy isn't really a biggie for me. I have a limited budget and I want a .177 because it's a lot cheaper, which I why I want an air rifle in the first place.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:01 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Buzz9mm wrote:
Also, no offense but I have real rifles

Prepare for a ragestorm. Razz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:21 am Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
broommaster2000 wrote:
Buzz9mm wrote:
Also, no offense but I have real rifles

Prepare for a ragestorm. Razz

I'll excuse the OP for making such an outrageous remark because he is obviously shiny brand new. Laughing

Add the Optimus (also known as Quest) to your list as well. Comes with a scope for well under $150 and it's the sister gun to the Phantom.

Beyond that the rifles you have put up are all basically the same rifle so pick the one you like the looks of best.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:55 am Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
@Buzz9mm: Welcome to the forum!

You would not likely know, but we all just got through a topic on this board where we expressed distaste for not considering airguns as "real" rifles.

Since we take air rifles quite seriously, many are quite expensive and accurate. Many are quite powerful, and we can and often do most anything with them that we do with our firearms (which probably most of us here also have) including big game hunting with the big-bore airguns...so just a fill-in to the background here.
I know you meant no offense. Smile

I would look into the Crosman Quest, or Phantoms, or a Beeman RS2 model 1073 dual caliber. (Walmart sell those and they are pretty good).

-Rob

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Craymar
Both guns are not really the same, but of similar quality and power. The Gamo Hornet does not have open sights and must use a scope. Is most likely made in Spain as that is where Gamo is located.

The crossman phantom you have a choice of open sight or scope. If your just going to use a scope then not having open sights gives the gun a nicer look and your not snagging the front sight on everything.

If your not limited to what your local store has, then look at the Crossman Nitro Venom. Going to a Nitro Piston gun will give you a much more enjoyable shooting experience.
Check out reviews of the crossman Phanton and Venom by Airgunweb on youtube. Best place to get an ideal of what to expect from an air rifle.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:22 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
What is meant by "the same" is that they are both the same platform and internally identical (yeah, I know the Gamo is made in Spain and the B-18s are Chinese).... In .177, they will shoot about 850ish fps (12-13 FPE) and in .22 cal about 700ish (15-16 FPE) with "normal" weight lead pellets....

Forget the hype, and the fact that they may be dressed differently, they shoot the same.... The good news is that springers in that power range tend to be relatively sweet shooting and while requiring you to learn how to hold them for best accuracy (research "artillery hold") will not drive you quite as crazy as a Magnum springer....

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Buzz9mm
Thanks for the help guys! I ended up getting the Gamo Hornet because that's what they had at the store. I like the Nitro a lot, but it was just a bit too expensive.

Yeah and sorry for saying "real guns", I guess firearms would have been a better term. I love air guns and give them just as much respect as my high powered rifles. Appreciate the help.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
That's awesome nnews. I hope you have a ton of fun breaking it in.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Buzz9mm
Thanks! Also, before I shoot it (raining ... Crying or Very sad) is there anything special that I should do or is it good to go right out of the box?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Airhead
besides basic observations, make sure all the screws are tightened properly and get shooting. sooner you get shooting, the sooner you will get it broke in. I wouldnt set your goals to high for the first 1000 rounds, just have fun. Once it has been broke in, start collecting pellets to find which one your gun likes best. Have fun!

Benjamin Classsic
Walthers CP Sport

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Airhead
also it never hurts to ask members about products before you buy them, our markets are full of gimicks. just like you did for your rifle, you'll save alot of money and frustration.

Benjamin Classsic
Walthers CP Sport

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Buzz9mm
Yeah I only shot one pellet so far. I really wish it would stop raining, this sucks! I ask because it looked like the breech had a lot of grease on it, I don't know if I should wipe it or if it's supposed to be there. I'll also check the screws the next time I shoot it.

What gimmicks are you talking about? I would love to know about any that you're aware of. I already got a basic 3-9x40mm scope on there and bought some basic wadcutter pellets.

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles