Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » Benjamin Marauder (floating barrel)
Benjamin Marauder (floating barrel) 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:02 am Reply with quote
MikeSD
I can't help but wonder if the Benjamin Marauder floating barrel is a bad idea. It's so lightweight and flexible, that I wonder if the accuracy can be maintained. I almost wonder if it might be better to fill in the band between the cylinder and the barrel shroud with some sort of shim material to give it a fixed position.

Floating barrels on firearms are generally very rigid but the Benjamin is very movable. Perhaps it's not a big deal but it seems that it might be repositioned, by merely grabbing the barrel by accident.

What does the group think?

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:59 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
If you wanna do something, do it. If you keep track on how the mod affects your accuracy, then everyone will gain something.

Air Arms rifles have a sort of semi-freefloating barrel that is kept in place by an O-ring. Perhaps that idea will help you a bit. I remember the first time I found out by putting a silencer (this is legal over here) on my S400. It was still as accurate but all the shots were a whole inch lower at 25 yards. Razz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:46 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
I can't comment on its overall effect- but the Crosman CH-2009 (Challenger) is so "loose" the barrel will move around within the band and make an annoying 'clinking' noise when carrying the rifle by its stock.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:30 am Reply with quote
rsterne
I've been using barrel bands with an internal O-ring that holds the barrel in place to prevent damage and yet allows slight movement.... More importantly, IMO, it allows the barrel and the air tube to move relative to each other LENGTHWISE as the temperature and pressure (inside the air reservoir) change....

I found my Disco had POI changes relative to the air pressure.... It shot higher at high pressure and lower at low pressure.... DESPITE the fact that the velocity at both ends of the pressure curve was the same.... My theory was that the overall length of the air reservoir increased with pressure, forcing the barrel upwards.... Loosening the setscrew on the barrel band so that it just touched the barrel definitely helped with that.... hence why I'm using the O-ring system now....

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:51 pm Reply with quote
MikeSD
broommaster2000 wrote:
If you wanna do something, do it. If you keep track on how the mod affects your accuracy, then everyone will gain something. Razz

In fact, I will. I plan to get a band or o-ring that is just the right size to keep the barrel free, but take up most of the space in the band between the barrel and cylinder. That way, the barrel is still free but will be more or less pointed (or centered) in the same place all the time.

As it is now, I'm 100% sure that any movement in the barrel could make a shot be 2' off at 50 yards. My barrel can be moved an 1/8". I doubt it would move much in normal use but it's bothersome. Wink Putting a ring or band will at least make me stop sweating the issue. Wink

BTW, the Marauder is very nice. I think I'll be getting a larger caliber next.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
MikeSD
I just noticed someting. There is an o-ring shown (#16) in the exploded view of the rifle. It looks like it's showing it in the band, exactly where I was going to add one, to close that gap.

I don't have one there, like shown in the photo. At least I don't think I did, based on the gap. I'm going to have to check again when I get home tonight.

http://www.crosman.com/pdf/manuals/1763%20and%202263%20EVP%20and%20PL%20Update%20II.pdf

For those of you who have this rifle, is there an o-ring in the barrel band (16)?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
jps2486
I don't feel that the Mrod "free floating" barrel is a good design. Ever since I bought the rifle, about every 5th shot, I can see the pellet corkscrew through the air. The barrel shroud seems rather flexible and I think this allows the barrel to whip causing accuracy problems.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote
donwalk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
my .25 marauder is accurate to the extreme...even at longer ranges as long as i do what i'm supposed to.

i have the full float barrel ring.

i think a lot to do with it is the element of ambient heat that's involved; the warmer/cooler the ambient temp, the more the warpage/shrinkage. i doubt the standard barrel is hardened ordinance steel as a firearm barrel is.

and remember, the shroud wall thickness is much thinner than the barrel wall thickness, hence; a difference in expansion rates.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:05 am Reply with quote
donwalk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
jps2486 wrote:
I don't feel that the Mrod "free floating" barrel is a good design. Ever since I bought the rifle, about every 5th shot, I can see the pellet corkscrew through the air. The barrel shroud seems rather flexible and I think this allows the barrel to whip causing accuracy problems.

i think if you look, many, if not most, PCP rifles have floating barrels... Rolling Eyes Question

i think the thinner the barrel, the more the chance for the barrel "Whip" you speak of. and remember: most air gun barrels are NOT hard ordnance steel like firearms barrels are, so will be subject to more flex.

the heat and pressures (that powder-burners generate) are also subjective factors that air guns are not subjected to.

you might want to try to get a barrel band that will secure the barrel/shroud...if one is available. you may have a loose barrel, too. check the barrel set screws.

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles