Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » Smooth Twist Barrels Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
Smooth Twist Barrels 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Posts: 4382
Location: Waseca, Minnesota, USA
I was reading in another thread about "smooth twist" barrels:
http://www.airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=7998&start=30

Wanting to learn more about them, I found this video from FX:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPF6dWAqfhY

I'm not sure I completely grasp this concept:
1. How does the smooth twist barrel "increase the ballistic coefficient"? (Is it choked so heavily that it extrudes the pellet with a higher sectional density?)
2. How does the smooth twist barrel make a pellet "less affected by external factors like wind speed"? (Compared to a pellet leaving any other barrel with the same angular velocity.)
3. What's special about the smooth twist spiral "forming the pellet into a projectile"? (I'm pretty sure I can do that to a rock without any gun at all.)
4. What is the definition of "precision ratio"? A ratio of what to what else?

Am I that far behind the times, or is this the Swedish equivalent of tethered wild boar hunting?

_________________
¡Listo! ¡Apunte! ¡Fuego!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 1183
Location: Just south of "Out There"- Land O Lakes Ontario
Lol...had to get in on the controversy, EH

Firstly in order to get properly conditioned for any conversation on "precision ratio" we must first go watch 8 hours infomercials

So We'll continue this conversation after that Mr. Green

_________________
Sean
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 1138
Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA
SMP wrote:
Lol...had to get in on the controversy, EH

Firstly in order to get properly conditioned for any conversation on "precision ratio" we must first go watch 8 hours infomercials

So We'll continue this conversation after that Mr. Green


I tried that and still don't get the precision ratio bit. However, I do have a new rotisserie oven, fat burning tablets, and several more mops.

I think the selling point of the wind drift issue is that it's like smoothing the stitches and trying to throw a curve ball. The rest of the connections I do not quite make, either. Maybe without the deeper, sharp rifling grooves it minimally increased BC by reducing drag?
It seems to me that it just sort of forms the pellet skirt into an polygon unless I'm seeing it wrong.

_________________
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 1183
Location: Just south of "Out There"- Land O Lakes Ontario
Quote:
I tried that and still don't get the precision ratio bit. However, I do have a new rotisserie oven, fat burning tablets, and several more mops.


Crazy LOL


Well it is all interrelated

Speed affects BC

Spin rate affects BC

And I suppose that they could lay a claim to reducing the Magnus Effect by reducing the spin rate and the depth of the rifling which would decrease the skin and thereby the high and low pressure on either side of the crosswind



Tossin lob balls here Question Question Question

_________________
Sean
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
rsterne
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Posts: 2998
Location: Coalmont, BC
Well if it's the polygonal rifling that does all those good things.... you can also get that from LW.... they sell both conventional and polygonal rifled barrels....

Bob

_________________
Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
Airsonal: Too many to count!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:20 am Reply with quote
WhitleyStu
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 15 Feb 2011
Posts: 202
Location: NE Indiana U.S.A.
The following is my take on the ST barrel and just my 2 cents. Here is a video showing the inventor of the smooth twist barrel, Freedic Axelsson, making each ST barrel then testing it…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_HTQwrTG6s&feature=related
A smooth twist .22 has a twist rate of 1:156" or (1:13’). As you can see this is a very slow twist rate. It is this fact that lets the pellet move through the air with very little spindrift. In the video where they use the term “precision ratio” is probably a way to simply say less spindrift. “Increasing the bullet coefficient” might be FXs way to say the projectile can accelerate faster with little rifling in the majority of the barrel. I read up on the Smooth Twist before ordering my FX only to receive a rifle with a Lothar Walther barrel and now I am glad I did. Over on Benchrest Central the smooth twist is not highly thought of for an ultimate target barrel. The benchrest gents still opt for conventional rifling.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:10 am Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 1138
Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA
SMP wrote:
...And I suppose that they could lay a claim to reducing the Magnus Effect...


Isn't that just a $5 word for curve ball? Mr. Green


Whitlystu, thanks for the link.

_________________
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:33 am Reply with quote
Slavia
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Posts: 4382
Location: Waseca, Minnesota, USA
The video says that Ben Taylor ("ben" of Theoben) came up with the idea. Axelsson is the founder of FX. From what I have been reading, The rifling in the last few inches of the barrel is not cut in the traditional way. Instead, a spiral clamp is applied to the outside of the barrel, causing smooth spiral "bumps" on the inside. No cut edges. Then the clamp marks on the outside are turned off and the lost metal is replaced with a screw-on tube.

I'll allow that this could enhance exterior balistics and retard lead fouling. It is also probably cheaper to manufacture than conventional rifling. The magnitude of those improvements over cut rifling will probably be seen as the design becomes more common.

My intent in starting this was not to put down the design, but rather was a reaction to the tone of FX's video. I detected the faint aroma of snake oil, and it made me wonder if I ordered immediately, could I get the Ginsu knives? But wait, that's not all...

_________________
¡Listo! ¡Apunte! ¡Fuego!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:50 am Reply with quote
rsterne
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Posts: 2998
Location: Coalmont, BC
If the twist rate is, indeed 1 in 156", then there is very little spin stabilization occurring.... We have been told for years that our diablo (waisted) pellets are drag stabilized to a large degree, so perhaps that is all that is necessary.... None of the twist calculators predict stability with such a slow twist rate, and since the Smooth Twist barrel works, then apparently the combination is working.... The very slow twist rate, and the (presumed) smoothness of the pellet as it exits the muzzle, could indeed influence the BC and the vertical dispersion in a crosswind due to the Magnus effect.... both of which are beneficial.... BTW, a pellet from a Smooth Twist barrel travelling at 867 fps will still be turning 4000 RPM....

You can bet that during the development process, smoothbores were tried, and then choked smoothbores.... and then they added/subtracted twist until they got stable flight.... Since I first heard about this idea I have always figured it was a way of producing barrels with adequate accuracy at lower cost than either drawn rifling or hammer forged.... Logic tells me that it's a lot cheaper to make a smoothbore and then squeeze the end that either of the earlier methods.... Before you jump on me for using the word "adequate" let me give you MY definition.... I would consider an airgun to have adequate accuracy if from the bench, in windless conditions, it can produce MOA groups.... While this may not be "match" accuracy, 99.99% of airgun shooters would never know the difference.... especially once you throw in the variabliity between pellets....

What I do find surprising is that other manufacturers have not jumped on the bandwagon.... Perhaps they are waiting until the Smooth Twist barrels start winning benchrest matches.... or perhaps there is a patent issue (although I can't see that stopping the Chinese).... Maybe the chance of producing a "poor" barrel is greater without extreme quality control, I don't know.... What I am very sure of.... is that if this is the way of the future it won't be long before everyone is doing it....

Bob

_________________
Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
Airsonal: Too many to count!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 1183
Location: Just south of "Out There"- Land O Lakes Ontario
rsterne wrote:
.... Before you jump on me for using the word "adequate" let me give you MY definition....

Bob


Lol....Wrong forum Bob. The thugs are on the other one. Laughing

In all seriousness though

I'm not sure it is the elite wave of the future. The top level dukes it out every year for the bragging rights on who's rifle has the gold medal. Currently Steyr has it and they are flogging it for all it's worth for some market edge. What I'm getting at is those folks will do anything to hold that spot and I don't see anyone talking about moving away from conventional rifling. And this idea has been around more than long enough.

But it's true that they are posting some impressive CTC holes. But it's not cheaper, they are actually twice the price of an LW barrel that will post some pretty impressive holes too. (Mind so is my lowly QB...check my last post on CA Smile )
For me the real bonus (selling feature)for me would be the claim of reduced pellet sensitivity...we all know what a PITA that is.

If only I could get one here to play with Evil Plot

_________________
Sean
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Posts: 4382
Location: Waseca, Minnesota, USA
Take a look at about 6:30 - it looks like a tighter twist than 1:156":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joguUbL35Ks

_________________
¡Listo! ¡Apunte! ¡Fuego!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:20 pm Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 1183
Location: Just south of "Out There"- Land O Lakes Ontario
Ya it sure does

_________________
Sean
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
WhitleyStu
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 15 Feb 2011
Posts: 202
Location: NE Indiana U.S.A.
Slavia wrote:
Take a look at about 6:30 - it looks like a tighter twist than 1:156":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joguUbL35Ks

The link below is to a thread on Benchrest Central. Post #4 is by Dan Brown, who is the current benchrest world champion. In his post he describes the twist rates of several of his rifles, one of which is a .22 smooth twist.
http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?76345-help-with-Twist
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Posts: 2998
Location: Coalmont, BC
I would agree that the photo certainly looks a lot faster than 1 in 156"....

Bob

_________________
Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
Airsonal: Too many to count!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:47 am Reply with quote
mod90
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 04 Jun 2011
Posts: 279
I am compelled to ask a question. It seems as though the smooth twist barrel is essentially a spiral crimped smooth bore tube, with a really slow twist rate by comparison to most other barrels. So this is my question. Wouldn't it have been simpler to achieve the same or a more effective twist rate on the pellet by rifling the skirt of the pellet at a particular angle & depth prior to it entering the barrel, & leave the barrel smooth & choked tight?
Just a crazy idea i had.

_________________
There is no tradition greater than the hunt, passed through countless generations. For those that enjoy the hunt, no explanation is needed. For those that do not, no explanation is good enough.
View user's profile Send private message
Smooth Twist Barrels 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 3  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.