Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Optics » Sighting in with a laser pointer? Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
Sighting in with a laser pointer? 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:26 am Reply with quote
mod90
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 04 Jun 2011
Posts: 279
Any one ever use an office laser pointer strapped to a barrel to sight in a rifle? My friend got his first air rifle & scope yesterday and came to see me to help him sight it in.It's a GAMO Dynamax. At first, the sights were so badly off that @ 50 yards it was hitting 4'3" to the right, and 3'2" high.
Any how, I zeroed it down into a 4"diameter for him, but for accuracy I'd like to use a laser. Only problem is I don't have a functioning bore sighter. I was thinking to rest an office laser pointer on the little space between the barrel & bottle, making sure its touching both evenly, then tape it down firmly. I know I'd have to cater for about a 1/8" difference between the barrel & laser position. My real question is has any one ever tried this & is it effective?
Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:18 am Reply with quote
Crosman140
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 13 Dec 2008
Posts: 663
Location: USA
Forget the laser pointer.

Set up a paper target about 5-7 yards from the gun and shoot 3 shots. Make adjustments to the scope. Take another 3 shots, adjust scope and so on until you are spot on.

Then move the target out to your desired zero range and shoot 3 more shots, adjust the scope, 3 more shots, etc.

_________________
My Critter Gitters
.22 Crosman 140 (1955)
.177 Crosman G1 (2009)
.177 Crosman 1377 (2009)
.177 Daisy 880 (2019)
BB Daisy Red Ryder (2012)
BB Daisy Buck (2019)
BB Crosman 1600 (1980)
BB Marksman 1010 (1979)
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:57 am Reply with quote
Slavia
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Posts: 4382
Location: Waseca, Minnesota, USA
I have looked at those things, but the light beam doesn't always come out straight (i.e., parallel to the housing). That's fine for office use, because your hand and eye can compensate - this application requires a little more precise alignment. The best I would hope for in any case is to get the shots on paper, which you have already done.

On the other hand, this forum is full of people that do what they say can't be done. That first paragraph has 61 words, and when you figure it out I will joyfully eat every one - and then go copy your solution.

_________________
¡Listo! ¡Apunte! ¡Fuego!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:55 am Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 1183
Location: Just south of "Out There"- Land O Lakes Ontario
lol...

I've used a small laser level. 6" with the V on one edge for doing pipe work.

They usually have small magnets embedded in the V that hold it fast to the barrel.

_________________
Sean
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:02 pm Reply with quote
mod90
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 04 Jun 2011
Posts: 279
The beam shoots straight & isn't deviated from inside the housing of the pointer as can sometimes be the case. I checked it against the beam of a range finder & a laser level. I did this by lining them both up parallel to each other on a level surface. Then took a board out to 10 yards, & marked the distance between the points. Then 30 yards, same process. Then 50 yards, same process. At all three distances I got the same distance between the two points. Then I just placed it on my AT44 so it rested in the barrel & reservoir & rotated it gently making sure in was touching both. Just to be 100% certain the beam lines up with the housing. I'm going to try it tonight.

SMP I know those nice little levels you're referring to, they are very accurate once they aren't abused, and I used one like it in my little test.

Slavia my friend, we all have eaten crow at one point or another, and if this little contraption of my imagination works, then bully for me and you and the world can copy away. If it doesn't, then it's back to the drawing board with my slice of humble pie & crow soup Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 1183
Location: Just south of "Out There"- Land O Lakes Ontario
I like soup

Pink Bouncer

_________________
Sean
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Posts: 4382
Location: Waseca, Minnesota, USA
Spoon being held in anticipation...

_________________
¡Listo! ¡Apunte! ¡Fuego!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:51 pm Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 1138
Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA
It can't be done...this laser thing. No way no how.

Now, may I have bread with my soup?

_________________
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quote
mod90
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 04 Jun 2011
Posts: 279
Ok, so now I am proud to report that I got it down to a 1.25" diameter @ 50yds with my contraption!!! I didn't try for closer, but that's good by my standards.
My dear radar, I have no bread for your bowl of cold crow soup, but how about some moldy stale crackers as a subsittute Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
I really do believe though that its just my luck that the laser's alignment in its housing wasn't off. If it was I would have been saying something different. Good thing I checked its alignment with other accurate beams that are known to be 99.99999999% accurate.
View user's profile Send private message
Can't be done?!? 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:54 am Reply with quote
Airhawk
Member
Member
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 15
Location: Canada

[/img]

Mind you the Dollar store lasers don't last too long on a springer Laughing
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Posts: 4382
Location: Waseca, Minnesota, USA
Quote:
Mind you the Dollar store lasers don't last too long on a springer

Your design is simple enought that the pointer can be easily replaced should it fail.

Your on/off solution is simple and elegant. I always wondered how I could do that with a switch buried inside the mount. Now I know. If I were to do it I think I would use a socket head screw so my pudgy fingers could grip it more easily. Or maybe even put a radio knob on the screw head.

Now what you should do is set it so the laser and crosshairs converge at the range where the gun is zeroed. Then you can use the amount of divergence between the two to estimate range.

Off to the dollar store to see what they have.....

_________________
¡Listo! ¡Apunte! ¡Fuego!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:52 pm Reply with quote
mod90
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 04 Jun 2011
Posts: 279
Don't forget to check if the beam is level in the housing. If it isn't you'll have a hell of a time getting it to work for your application.

_________________
There is no tradition greater than the hunt, passed through countless generations. For those that enjoy the hunt, no explanation is needed. For those that do not, no explanation is good enough.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:09 pm Reply with quote
radar
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 1138
Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA
Good job!
(I'll pass on the crackers.)

_________________
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
View user's profile Send private message
What the F**K is going on here guys ?? 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:00 am Reply with quote
NZ Shooter
Suspended
Joined: 17 Dec 2011
Posts: 146
Location: Dunedin, New Zealand
Too much tooling around here, I feel. Why not just buy a PROPER,REAL, rifle laser?? With a barrel or scope mount.
Interesting thing being, on this very site, there is a large thread on the
practicality / usefulness of lasers on air rifles.
And guess what ?? EVERYONE agreed there is no real use for one.
INTERESTING.........

_________________
Webley Patriot .22 @ 28 fpe
Nikko MountMaster 4x40 AO
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:35 am Reply with quote
mod90
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 04 Jun 2011
Posts: 279
"Why not just buy a PROPER,REAL, rifle laser?" Because some of us like to do things ourselves, for more reasons than one. And lasers on airguns aren't completely useless or unnecessary. They are especially quite useful at helping a shooter average range and holdover/holdunder when using a mil dot reticle without a range finder.
And guess what?? Not everyone in the world agreed that there isn't any real use for them. Those that know what they want a laser to do will use it, those that don't want to use it simply won't use them. It's just like most things in life. Its just a personal preference either for or against is all.

_________________
There is no tradition greater than the hunt, passed through countless generations. For those that enjoy the hunt, no explanation is needed. For those that do not, no explanation is good enough.
View user's profile Send private message
Sighting in with a laser pointer? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Optics
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 2  
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.