Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Optics » Williams 64 peep help
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
Williams 64 peep help 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:45 pm Reply with quote
domer_pyle
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 17 Sep 2009
Posts: 523
Got one for my 397 and the short screw under the part that slides for elevation (the one that mounts in the forward-most hole) is too short to grab the threads of the gun. To save the hassle of calling and being told to call somewhere else, does anyone know who to contact and possibly have the number?
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:55 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
Hello:

I pulled a 397PA and a 0064 Benjamin Sight- the 'short' screw behind the elevator does fit- so perhaps you got one that is too short or some of the threads in your barrel housing are stripped?

This short screw is 0.282" in total length, and the shank alone is 0.19"- if yours is shorter, then that seems to be your issue.

Either way- can you screw the longer threaded screw into the same hole to check the hole's threading?

Seems to me the easiest solution is to go to a hardware store and buy a slightly longer screw if the threading in the barrel tube is good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:24 am Reply with quote
domer_pyle
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 17 Sep 2009
Posts: 523
I'll have to get out the caliper when I get home but I did try the longer screw to be sure I hadn't stripped it out, but my short screw doesn't even reach the threads. The hardware store was going to be my next try, I'll see what they have there today.

But would I contact Pyramyd, Crosman, or Williams if I can't find one?
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:42 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
Pyramyd will only ask you to send it back, whereas Crosman might figure out how to send you a screw...

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:45 am Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 1183
Location: Just south of "Out There"- Land O Lakes Ontario
Those sights are made for crosman and crosman would be the one that decides what screws go in the package. So I would say you would contact Crosman.

But as Eric says that is definitely the most painful route to go.

Those screws are probably 6-32 or 8-32. That is common hardware store stuff. I you took your screw into a Lowes or similar spot that has the pullout trays you would be able to get several different lengths for under a buck and most importantly ...today. Without the hassles of phone calls and waiting etc etc

_________________
Sean
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:55 am Reply with quote
domer_pyle
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 17 Sep 2009
Posts: 523
Cool, thanks. Talking on the phone isn't my thing, I get very annoyed very quickly and hate being told to call somewhere else
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:18 pm Reply with quote
domer_pyle
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 17 Sep 2009
Posts: 523
Just so it's on record, it's a size 6 screw but finer threads than -32. I had to buy a picatinny mount kit to get the screw I needed after leaving Menards and realizing I didn't compare what I bought with the screw in my pocket
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:35 pm Reply with quote
SMP
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 04 Feb 2011
Posts: 1183
Location: Just south of "Out There"- Land O Lakes Ontario
Really...wow!

There is two other sizes.

6-36 or National Special
6-40 or National fine

Both are extremely rare.....good to know though.

_________________
Sean
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:47 pm Reply with quote
domer_pyle
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 17 Sep 2009
Posts: 523
Figured out after all the legwork that the only reason the screw wouldn't grab is because the recess wasn't machined the same length as the mount. Filed off the corners and put some loc-tite on the flat part and there she sits nice and flush
View user's profile Send private message
Williams 64 peep help 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Optics
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 1  

  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.