 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | Pellet Quandary |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:45 pm |
|
|
| Steve Cover |
| Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 15 May 2011 |
| Posts: 31 |
| Location: NE Washington State USA |
|
|
 |
Since I've finally decided to get back into airgunning after a 30+ year dry spell, I'm having my FWB 124 rebuilt.
Because our retirement property in NE Washington State is overrun with ground squirrles, I've decided to use my air rifle as my Ultra-Light Varmint gun.
I have no desire for a more powerful air rifle.
I like the size of the FWB 124. It is what an air rifle should be.
Personally, as far as the 1000+ FPS airguns go, it seems to be an oxymoron to have a rifle bigger than my Weatherby Mk V that is still less powerful than a 22 rifle half its size.
Light and handy is the way to go.
If I need more power, I will go to my 22 rifle.
In the days of "Usta-Was" the Beeman Silver Jet was the most accurate pellet in my FWB, and I bought several thousand of them.
Now, after a 124 Super Tune, they may not be my best choice.
So, I am faced with the task of choosing the best pellet in an 800 FPS gun.
Expected field use will be squirrel sized game out to around 50 yards, with the occasional Cotton Tail rabbit thrown in.
My current list of interest is:
1. Beeman Silver Jet... Past best performer, and I have over 8,000 of them.
2. Beeman Crow Magnum... No experience, just like their looks.
3. H&N Match Pellets.... History of accuracy in my rifle and a good short range "Mouse" Pellet
Naturally, none of these choices are set in stone.
Any recommendations based on actual field hunting experience with moderate velocity airguns will be greatly appreciated.
On another note, I've been reading several posts about deformed pellet skirts.
Beeman used to sell a small plastic device to load pellets with.
I was wondering if it would be practical to turn down a small dowel to a cone shape for reforming pellets before chambering.
I'm thinking that I could make a cast off of an undamaged pellet and then duplicate the shape on hard wood.
Do you think that this would be worth the effort for a field gun?
Steve |
|
_________________ FOR THOSE WHO HAVE FOUGHT FOR IT
FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR
THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:07 pm |
|
|
| rsterne |
| Moderator |

 |
 |
| Joined: 15 Jan 2008 |
| Posts: 2998 |
| Location: Coalmont, BC |
|
|
 |
In order to take the most advantage of the new power of your FWB124 at ranges of about 50 yards.... I would strongly suggest you look at round nosed pellets such as the Beeman FTS (H&N FTT), the JSB Exact Series (several weights available), and the Crosman Premiers (in the brown box).... They have a much superior Ballistics Coefficient which means more retained velocity, energy, and less wind drift.... You will likely find they are more accuracte at those ranges as well....
Bob |
|
_________________ Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
Airsonal: Too many to count! |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:29 am |
|
|
| Steve Cover |
| Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 15 May 2011 |
| Posts: 31 |
| Location: NE Washington State USA |
|
|
 |
| rsterne wrote: |
In order to take the most advantage of the new power of your FWB124 at ranges of about 50 yards.... I would strongly suggest you look at round nosed pellets such as the Beeman FTS (H&N FTT), the JSB Exact Series (several weights available), and the Crosman Premiers (in the brown box).... They have a much superior Ballistics Coefficient which means more retained velocity, energy, and less wind drift.... You will likely find they are more accuracte at those ranges as well....
Bob |
Thanks Bob,
I'll give them a try
Steve |
|
_________________ FOR THOSE WHO HAVE FOUGHT FOR IT
FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR
THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | Pellet Quandary |  | |  |  |  |
Air Gun Home Forum Index » Pellets/Ammo
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum
|
All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1
|
|
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.
|