Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » Where do you suburban subdivision-dwellers go to shoot?
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
Where do you suburban subdivision-dwellers go to shoot? 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:51 am Reply with quote
Smaug
Member
Member
Joined: 19 Jul 2011
Posts: 24
Location: Northern Illinois
That is, if you can't shoot in your own back yard?

I can't be the first person to come across this.

I belong to a nice gun range, they even have an airgun range. But the airgun range is only open Saturdays from 10-4, and all they do is shoot paper targets. What I want to do is to plink and shoot birds and small mammals.

Do you go to friends' houses who are in more fortunate situations?

Do you go out with letters to the farmers offering to help with any small pests?

Or do you just settle for shooting indoors, at short range?

What's ironic is that I seem to have an easier time shooting firearms than airguns!

On that happy note, is there anyone in northern IL or southern WI that would be willing to host me once in a while? I'll bring the beverages. We'll have some good talk and friendly competition maybe.

_________________
-Jeremy
--------------------------
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:57 am Reply with quote
justsayno
Member
Member
Joined: 29 Nov 2009
Posts: 46
Location: South of Philly
We have a friday night firearm 22 plinking night. great to bring the airgun there. Mostly backyard playing... For some reason, no tree rats at my house... ground hawg, none.. hmmm wounder...

_________________
If I could only be normal
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:42 am Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 30 Dec 2008
Posts: 2029
Location: Richmond, IN USA
I live in a city neighborhood with mostly old people. My neighbors know I only shoot starlings and crow. THey all hate the messes at their bird feeders and on their cars. I am lucky that way I guess. I've never been ratted out yet and even if I do, I have a cheap 760 to surrender rather than my custom 2400. lol I am in the back yard shooting with a 6 ft fence so they can't see me. If they hear me shooting, they won't be able to see what I am shooting with. I am in the good like that. Twisted Evil I can go through the house and switch off rifles real quick.

_________________
Airguns: Two starlings talking "Larry, did you hear that? Larry?? LARRY!!!!"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Smaug
Member
Member
Joined: 19 Jul 2011
Posts: 24
Location: Northern Illinois
oddtodd wrote:
I've never been ratted out yet and even if I do, I have a cheap 760 to surrender rather than my custom 2400... I can go through the house and switch off rifles real quick.


A sacrificial rifle, GREAT idea. I would say that a 760 is too nice for that though. On the other hand 760s cost less than Red Ryder these days...

_________________
-Jeremy
--------------------------
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Smaug
Member
Member
Joined: 19 Jul 2011
Posts: 24
Location: Northern Illinois
justsayno wrote:
We have a friday night firearm 22 plinking night. great to bring the airgun there. Mostly backyard playing... For some reason, no tree rats at my house... ground hawg, none.. hmmm wounder...


That's a good idea too. I can do that, I may just feel like a bit of a chump as the only guy with an airgun. Who knows though, maybe I'll start a clique!?

I'll need a darned nice airgun to shoot as well as a scoped 22 rifle at 50 yards...

_________________
-Jeremy
--------------------------
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:40 pm Reply with quote
justsayno
Member
Member
Joined: 29 Nov 2009
Posts: 46
Location: South of Philly


Just this plain jane will do.. I'd get rid of my last powderburner for one of these, thankfull that they dont' list " trade ins welcome". ' Id be all over pack and ship..

_________________
If I could only be normal
View user's profile Send private message
Re: Where do you suburban subdivision-dwellers go to shoot? 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:33 pm Reply with quote
donec
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 19 Dec 2009
Posts: 836
Location: central Texas Pflugerville area
Smaug wrote:
That is, if you can't shoot in your own back yard?

I can't be the first person to come across this.

I belong to a nice gun range, they even have an airgun range. But the airgun range is only open Saturdays from 10-4, and all they do is shoot paper targets. What I want to do is to plink and shoot birds and small mammals.

Do you go to friends' houses who are in more fortunate situations?

Do you go out with letters to the farmers offering to help with any small pests?

Or do you just settle for shooting indoors, at short range?

What's ironic is that I seem to have an easier time shooting firearms than airguns!

On that happy note, is there anyone in northern IL or southern WI that would be willing to host me once in a while? I'll bring the beverages. We'll have some good talk and friendly competition maybe.
I know your problem well as I live in an area that has made airguns the same as powder burners and so I can not fire at home and the only range doesn't allow airguns and is quite expensive anyway. I went driving around looking for a place that looked like it would be a good place to shoot. When I found one I tried to find out who the owner was and had bad luck. Then I went buy and asked a neighbor to the land and they turned out to be the owners. I explained my situation and they agreed to let me shoot there but I needed to stop by and let them know when I was going to be there. The place is about 30 miles from where I live so I don't get to shoot as much as I would like.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:38 pm Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2007
Posts: 5714
Location: City of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
justsayno wrote:


Just this plain jane will do.. I'd get rid of my last powderburner for one of these, thankfull that they dont' list " trade ins welcome". ' Id be all over pack and ship..


Hey, Daystate. You call that plain? Razz

_________________
BIG GAP
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:07 am Reply with quote
Airhawk
Member
Member
Joined: 21 Dec 2009
Posts: 15
Location: Canada
Smaug wrote:
oddtodd wrote:
I've never been ratted out yet and even if I do, I have a cheap 760 to surrender rather than my custom 2400... I can go through the house and switch off rifles real quick.


A sacrificial rifle, GREAT idea. I would say that a 760 is too nice for that though. On the other hand 760s cost less than Red Ryder these days...


Unless they decide to search your house...
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:55 am Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 30 Dec 2008
Posts: 2029
Location: Richmond, IN USA
Well, they ain't going to search my house over an air rifle. My local constabulary is too lazy to do that. Heck, they won't even keep the main drag next to my street free of speeders.

_________________
Airguns: Two starlings talking "Larry, did you hear that? Larry?? LARRY!!!!"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:10 am Reply with quote
firemandivi
Member
Member
Joined: 03 Aug 2009
Posts: 97
Location: New York
I find myself in the same boat as you since NY considers airguns a firearm no shooting them within 500ft of a dwelling. The place I go is the State Forests, I have checked with NYSDEC who run them and you are allowed to target shot there as long as you follow the rules of no discharging within 500ft and you don't make a mess.

_________________
.22 Super Streak
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Jaxom
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 06 Aug 2008
Posts: 927
Smaug

I'm in the same boat as well. Western 'burbs of Chicago in fact! Where abouts are you in NE IL? I like the idea of finding someone with a tree rat or bunny problem!

Jax

_________________
.22 2300kt Crosman Custom
View user's profile Send private message
Where do you suburban subdivision-dwellers go to shoot? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 1  

  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.