Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » How much can be done to a Crosman Quest?
How much can be done to a Crosman Quest? 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:39 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Gunrunner mentioned doing some mods to a Quest 500 in another thread- and for some unknown reason I've been hung-up on getting either a 500 or a 1000 to modify since putting up my original "wanted" post for someone else.

Anyways- I'm now awaiting a "Maccari" tuning kit (spacers, spring) to show up and I'm trying to decide if I should get a 500 or a 1000 to put it in. Doing it to a 500 sounds interesting (double the power output with a relatively simple parts replacement) but maybe just fine-tuning a 1000 is ok too.

I gather the 500 has a larger piston in it than the 1000? Any other significant differences I might want to know about to help me decide which one to get?

And lastly- anyone have a good set of instructions/guidelines on installing a kit in either? I can probably figure it out with the gun and a parts diagram- but any useful tips relevant to the Quest(s) would be appreciated.

Thank-You

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:02 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Hmm- in my research I found some things about the Quest's setup:

Most of the parts between the 500, 800 and 1000 are the same, except:

The 500 and 800 use the same main spring, barrel and stock.

The 800 and 1000 use the same piston and trigger pack assembly.

The 800 is the "oddball" with parts from both the 1000 and 500. The 500 has a couple of its own specific parts not used on the 800 or 1000- the piston and the trigger pack.

So- having gathered that, does anyone know what the difference is between the 500/800 main spring, barrel and stock and those used on the 1000? How about the difference between the piston and trigger pack used on the 500 vs. the 800/1000?

Seems like an oddball "swap around" of parts.

I actually most curious about the barrel and stock differences- are the 500s and 800s a different size/length than the 1000s?

And the piston used on the 500 vs. the 800/1000 piston- what is the actual difference between the two? Is the 500 unit a different size, or is it 'dished' for less compression than on the 800? Or does it have some sort of a vent/exhaust hole drilled in it?

I would have assumed the trigger pack on the 800&1000 is a heavier-duty unit than that used on the 500 in order to hold the beartrap/pin assembly against what is more spring pressure. But wait: that can't be correct because the 500 and 800 share the same spring. Is there something different about the pull pressure required on the trigger to release, or why does the 500 have its own trigger pack?

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:59 am Reply with quote
leadman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
actually the quest 800 is .22 and actually quite hard to find in canada

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:10 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
That is what I had understood- but I'm looking at a Crosman parts diagram for the 800 that states it as a .177- so it appears there is/was a .177 version as well. The parts list also supports this with the 500 and 800 using the same barrel.

Of course I am assuming that Crosman didn't just publish some flat-out 'wrong' parts list- but it isn't a copy of either the 500 or 1000- it is definetly it's own setup.

Here are the parts lists, from Crosman (the 'evp' files):

http://www.crosman.com/2004/pdf/manuals/crosman/C1K77/

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:05 pm Reply with quote
leadman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
wow that is something i know a guy on another airgun forum CAF that sold one afew months ago and it was .22 that really is wierd tho

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:53 pm Reply with quote
airbuddy3
The crosman quest 500 has a different spring as well as a different piston and a shorter carbine barrel , thus it is 1/2 lb lighter than the 1000.

the 800x is .22 only and comes as a combo , with a crosman 4x scope
LeBarons has it and it sells for ~$150 or so plus tax .

The Quest 1000 has a shorter stroked piston , a more powerful spring and
and a longer barrel 18" vs 16" for the 500 , it wieghs 1/2 lb more .
Stock it will shoot 850-860fps .

The Tarantula spring with the spaceing and wieghting , will take a quest to 945fps with Gamo hunters ..too bad JM stopped makeing them !

Frank

Quests .. 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Gunrunner
I own a couple of them and done all kinds of things .. even had a B-21 spring in there doing in the low 1000's to much of a harsh ride with that springs ..
I put aluminum cocking guides inside the stock.. since the wood is pretty soft, plus it makes for smoother cocking .. right now with B-19 springs in them,. spaced with 3 washers and a thrust bearing 1 does 920's and the other does 950.. for the price and alittle work .. there a great gun..

Gunrunner Cool
How much can be done to a Crosman Quest? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles