Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » My gun is back from the Tuna! Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
My gun is back from the Tuna! 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:40 pm Reply with quote
DAS
Member
Member
Joined: 14 Nov 2007
Posts: 15
Guys,
Here's a follow-up to my thread about spring gun accuracy problems. Thanks to a member here, I sent my Gamo to Charlie the Tuna for his turbo tune and trigger job.

HOLY SMOKES!!!

This Gamo was my first springer, and as I said in my earlier thread, several aspects were less than impressive. The gun that Charlie sent back to me is a totally different matter!! The old gun felt like a high powered slinky was going off inside everytime I shot. Now it makes one sharp whack and the gun is quiet. I can't feel any torquing at all. The bouncing and crazy feel are gone. It's just a real clean feeling at the shot. The new trigger is perfect for my tastes. I like triggers around 2 lbs and this one is 1lb, 11oz. It is also much more predictable. I've only shot it in my shop so far with no sights since the scope had to be removed. Tomorrow I'll get a scope on it, and see what happens. Charlie said the seal had a pretty bad cut in it and he saw some evidence of dieseling. The cocking effort feels a little harder to me but still very easy. It has a new high performance spring of course. Before Turbo tuning, the average speed was 784fps with an average deviation of 6.7. Now it is shooting 915fps with a deviation of just 2. The gun "feels" more powerful. The trigger pull went from 5lbs 5ozs to 1 lb 11ozs. The old trigger used to go way higher once in a while too. There were times when I almost had to yank it to get it to fire. Not now. Energy went from 11.32 ftlbs to 15.42 ftlbs.

To sum it up, the service was quick, the communication was great, the information that came back was very useful, and best of all the results are astounding so far. Shooting it for accuracy will really tell the tale, but I'm expecting good things. I can't reccomend this service highly enough!

I'll let you know when I get to shoot it. Thanks for the good advice here guys!

David
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:20 am Reply with quote
Westonhill
Member
Member
Joined: 09 Nov 2007
Posts: 71
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
I bet you have spent more money on the tune-up than the gun itself. Smile I don't know, man, is it really worth? I had a Gamo Big Cat 1200, bought for $129 + tax from my local sporting goods store and I sold it on craigslist for $100 after a month or so. I told myself I would never buy another Gamo. As the largest European airgun maker, one would wonder why Gamo couldn't make something good, something Gamo can be really proud of.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:09 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
Putting the total cost aside (price of gun and the tune job)- I'm glad to here you have a gun you can really enjoy now.

I'm going to get out of the trees here next week and buy some tooling to try and do better tune work to my own guns (ball hone and some other small bits and pieces). Hopefully I can find myself a gun that I can really enjoy- most of my stuff is a bit iffy at the moment.

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:02 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 4139
Location: Linconshire, ENGLAND
AirGunEric wrote:

I'm going to get out of the trees here next week and buy some tooling to try and do better tune work to my own guns (ball hone and some other small bits and pieces). Hopefully I can find myself a gun that I can really enjoy- most of my stuff is a bit iffy at the moment.


If it wasn't iffy you wouldn't enjoy it, can you imagine if you had a beautiful European air rifle that hit the bull every time, never went wrong, and was sexier than the wife? you get fed up in a week and go back to happily swearing at your old gun's. You know it makes sense. Laughing

AL

_________________


View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:09 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2007
Posts: 5714
Location: City of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Alstone wrote:

If it wasn't iffy you wouldn't enjoy it, can you imagine if you had a beautiful European air rifle that hit the bull every time, never went wrong, and was sexier than the wife? you get fed up in a week and go back to happily swearing at your old gun's. You know it makes sense. Laughing

AL


It doesn't. Most european airguns can use some tuning too. It's just that in comparision to the price you'll have an Ubergun. A Gamo will never become a Weihrauch. It's the feel about these things that make them worth their while. All the way.

Just like some people own a car and expect it to be comfortable and drive them anywhere they want to go. They don't really care for looks, only the quality is important.

Besides, some people aren't into tuning, but they are into shooting. I don't really like tuning, I think it's something that comes with the gun, most of the time.

But this is the Cheap/Expensive airgun discussion again, and it's always what the person himself wants.

_________________
BIG GAP
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:26 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 4139
Location: Linconshire, ENGLAND
Stop being so serious Broom!, I'm just adding a bit of scarcasium to the debate. Mr. Green
I know Eric likes running around the woods bashing Gophers on the head with his gun butt. Smile

PS: I should have said ENGLISH airgun instead of European.

Al

_________________


View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:00 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2007
Posts: 5714
Location: City of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
Alstone wrote:
Stop being so serious Broom!, I'm just adding a bit of scarcasium to the debate. Mr. Green
I know Eric likes running around the woods bashing Gophers on the head with his gun butt. Smile

PS: I should have said ENGLISH airgun instead of European.

Al


Sorry, I'm having my period. Mr. Green

_________________
BIG GAP
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:12 am Reply with quote
Westonhill
Member
Member
Joined: 09 Nov 2007
Posts: 71
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Alstone wrote:

If it wasn't iffy you wouldn't enjoy it, can you imagine if you had a beautiful European air rifle that hit the bull every time, never went wrong, and was sexier than the wife? you get fed up in a week and go back to happily swearing at your old gun's. You know it makes sense. Laughing

AL


Now, that sounds like a true British and I guess Hugh Grant thinks the same way Laughing

I always admire people who can DIY to their guns, which is part of the fun anyway.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:15 am Reply with quote
Westonhill
Member
Member
Joined: 09 Nov 2007
Posts: 71
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Alstone wrote:
...I know Eric likes running around the woods bashing Gophers on the head with his gun butt. Smile
...
Al

No, Al, I think Eric likes spitball ... and I like a bayonet Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:22 am Reply with quote
dedpool
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 20 Jul 2007
Posts: 244
Location: Hokie Nation
broommaster2000 wrote:

Sorry, I'm having my period. Mr. Green


HA! I knew it!!! Gay

_________________
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:47 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 4139
Location: Linconshire, ENGLAND
Westonhill wrote:
Alstone wrote:
...I know Eric likes running around the woods bashing Gophers on the head with his gun butt. Smile
...
Al

No, Al, I think Eric likes spitball ... and I like a bayonet Mr. Green


No wonder his Erics gun dosn't shoot very well if he spits on the pellets, and you like to get in close with a bayonet, must be bloody dangerous for an airgunner in them woods. Confused

Al

_________________


View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:32 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
Bashing them with the gun butt and spitballs, HA! Shows how little you guys know- I pour gasoline down their holes and throw the whole damn rifle at them! Mr. Green

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:16 pm Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 10 Mar 2007
Posts: 5714
Location: City of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
dedpool wrote:
broommaster2000 wrote:

Sorry, I'm having my period. Mr. Green


HA! I knew it!!! Gay


Takes one to know one, ded.

_________________
BIG GAP
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:57 pm Reply with quote
DAS
Member
Member
Joined: 14 Nov 2007
Posts: 15
Westonhill,
Is it worth it? For me it was because otherwise I probably would lose interest in the gun altogether. I agree that a new Gamo shouldn't require as much work as the gun costs new to make it shoot. I doubt I'll buy another one. I think Gamo is doing the whole industry a disservice honestly by selling these guns to mostly inexperienced shooters who then get the idea that they really aren't worth much. I was at the dentist yesterday and read an Outdoor Life article about springer airguns written by a guy who obviously had never seen one before he wrote the article. His take was that beyond 10 yards or so they were worthless. If I found a used one cheap, I'd send it to Charlie and have a nice gun for a reasonable price though. As far as CDT's tuning service, I think it's real reasonable for what you get. The gun shoots real well now.

David
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:05 pm Reply with quote
DAS
Member
Member
Joined: 14 Nov 2007
Posts: 15
Well, I spent a good long time shooting today, both at targets and game. I found that the crow magnums that shot best from the gun before the tune, aren't so good now. The best pellet I tried today was the crosman hollow point. I also tried the crosman flat nose and point nose. All three weighed exactly 8.0grs but the hollow point shoots much better. I've got two standing shooting positions at 12meters and 17.5 meters. I shoot there because I have posts to lean against. From both positions I can keep almsot every shot inside a 1" circle. I find that I shoot best with this gun by leaning my body against something steady and free holding the gun. I also went hunting and took two shots on game, both one shot kills.

I'd have to say that this gun has basically been transformed. By now I've got about $375 in it with a new red dot sight, so I don't know what I could buy off the shelf that would shoot as good. This is a Gamo sport hunter (or is it hunter sport?). With the scope and a bench I was keeping most shots inside 3/4" at 17.5 meters. I think I might do better if I could find a perfect pellet match. With the red dot and my leaning technique my groups open to 1". That seems pretty good to me for a field gun. It is shooting an honest 925fps with my 8.0gr crosman hollowpoints.

One problem that has been improved is the sensitivity to hold. The gun is still sensitive to me, coming from a firearm background, but it is manageable now. The trigger is all I could want from a field gun.

It really is too bad that Gamo can't clean up a few details and offer a better out of box experience. For one thing, Charlie found a good size cut in the seal, and he says that is really common. There is zero excuse for that.

David
View user's profile Send private message
My gun is back from the Tuna! 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 2  
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.