Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Pistols » Silencer (air brake) for Crosman 2240 (in USA)
Silencer (air brake) for Crosman 2240 (in USA) 
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 9:16 pm Reply with quote
rrcmark
Anyone know of any others in the USA except TKO?
How much quieter is a 'air brake'? (I am willing to pay almost the price of the gun for a reduction in db but it has to be a substantial reduction.)

Just received a Emial back from Mike at TKO:
" We don;t sell silencers. Our TKO Stage V brakes are $44 shipped.
They work very, VERY well. Complete money back guarantee. "
I also asked him how much quieter it would be (stock is 100+db). No Answer.
Anyone know what the db is with the TKO Stage V brakes?

Thanks,
Mark

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:15 am Reply with quote
Bozo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Doesn't matter what you call it; suppressor, muzzle brake, air brake, LDC (lead dust collector), if it makes the gun quieter, the BATF says it's a silencer (in the U.S.) The way I understand the BATF's stand on silencers on air guns is that if you can remove it (even if it destroys the gun) and attach it to a firearm (aka powder burner) by any means and it makes the firearm *any* quieter, it's a silencer and if you don't have a permit, it's off to prison for you. In order to legally possess a silencer (again, in the U.S.), you need to apply to the BATF, send them $200, and wait for them to issue said permit. If you possess one prior to receiving the permit, you are in violation, and it's off to prison you go. There seem to be companies getting away with selling them; I don't know if they're considered to small a fry to worry about with lots of bigger things on the BATF's plate or what, but I wouldn't want to be the test case when they get around to going after silencers.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:14 am Reply with quote
domer_pyle
Go to onlinemetals . com and get some .5" aluminum tubing with a .026 wall, it fits right over the barrels of Crosman pistols and Discos. All you need is 7/16 nylon washers and some spacers and you got yourself a barrel shroud

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:53 am Reply with quote
packrat
To answer your question,,the TKO muzzle brakes are VERY EFFECTIVE at what they were designed to do..I've bought several from him and own 2 of them right now Smile Smile I personally wouldn't even consider buying them from anyone else I am THAT happy with them...And with a 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE...well it's just the only way to go..I've used them on pistols, rifles, C)2 and HPA, very contented with all applications Mr. Green Mr. Green

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:01 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
The whole thing with silencers is internal volume, the more the better.

Have a look at the 2240 below this is a 6.5" long X 1" dia silencer using 5 K type baffles in front of the muzzle and 2.5" of space behind it this kills off most of the muzzle sound at 10m, but you can still hear the hammer noise.

Muzzle brakes do lessen the noise a bit but mostly just alter it to a lower frequency, to kill off noise you need to contain the gas then let it out at a lower velocity.

I'm not suggesting that you make one just pointing out what is needed to quieten a 2240.

You could try making a silencer box, this is a wooden case around 12" square and 3' long packed with baffels and straw with a 3" hole to shoot through, this would quieten a 2240 considerably for using in the home.

Hope it helps

Al.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 7:40 am Reply with quote
jlwilliams
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Three routs you can go.

As already stated, a 'silencer is a silencer' by US law. You can buy or build one with the apropriate paperwork and tax paid. Expensive and onerous, but it's an option.

Second option, also already stated, make a barrel shroud. Cheap, easy, effective. Could also be construed as making an unregistered silencer. That would depend on the design you use and on the interpretation of whatever jurisdiction you fell under. Shouldn't be a problem if you do your research and make sure the shroud you make couldn't be put on a firearm.

Third option is to buy a shrouded airgun. There are plenty of them out there. Marauder, Talon SS, Gamo and Stoeger all have noise reduced airguns. The advantage of buying one outright is that you get something that some company's lawyers went through the trouble of getting BATFE aproval for. Their lawyers did the leg work and you have a receipt showing any cop who cares to ask that you bought a US compliant airgun off the shelf at Dick's (or online, whatever)

First option is a big pain in the butt. Screw on airgun silencers are almost exclusively for outside of America. Second is widely done but I know I've seen some pictures online that really looked questionable. It can be done right, but you could also inadvertantly break the law. Third option is foolproof but costs a couple bucks. Third option also has the advantage of getting a new toy. Who doesn't like that? A brand spanking new Marauder rifle or pistol would surely make you a happy camper, so to speak.

Good luck. Happy airgunning.

One last thought. What's the reason for wanting it to be as quiet as can be? If you spell out your exact scenario, one of us may have solved a similar problem in some other way. Never know what you may find out and converstaion doesn't cost one thin dime.
Silencer (air brake) for Crosman 2240 (in USA) 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Pistols