Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics » Barrel Re-Crowning
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
Barrel Re-Crowning 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:50 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 4139
Location: Linconshire, ENGLAND
Went I got my B4 and after giving it a clean and lube it was shooting 10mm groups at 10m, using Hobbys, my other favorite pellet is Bisley Practice wouldn't group at all.
Anyway a few days later while investigating a drop in power, which was a lose screw holding the piston seal in place, I decided to re-crown the barrel this I did in the lathe.
After re-asembling the gun and testing, it was all over the place using Hobbys, but when I tried Bisleys it was back to grouping at 10mm at 10m range.
Any sugestions as to what caused it to favour a diffrent pellet after a re-crown ?

Al

_________________


View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:34 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Joined: 20 Jan 2007
Posts: 6930
Location: "Out There"
Well, the re-crown changed the layout somewhat- so what was good before obviously changed too. Sometimes makes me wonder though what some pellets are doing in a particular airgun- I had thought that it really came down to how the pellet is fitting the rifling in a particular barrel- but obviously you didn't change the whole barrel and the Hobby's changed their performance drastically for the worse, while the Bisley's improved significantly.

Perhaps- different crown angles/cuts can affect different pellets in different ways- i.e. another one of these "figure out which crown cut/angle works with each pellet". Perhaps this is why pellet experimentation on an airgun is as it is- but I know I was attributing this issue more on a barrel's size/tolerances and rifling than on the crown itself.

If I had the equipment to make precise angled cuts and a pile of barrels for a specific airgun, I would experiment to get an idea if I'm barking up the right tree here- but no matter.

_________________
`

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.


Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:41 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Moderator & Site Supporter
Joined: 01 Mar 2007
Posts: 4139
Location: Linconshire, ENGLAND
Hi Eric
The only thing I can Think of is that Hobbys are a tighter fitt in the barrel, and I cut the recrown at 45 Deg, so I reckon that a tight fitting pellet can overcome a bad crown to a certain extent.

Al

_________________


View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Barrel Re-Crowning 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » General Air Gun Questions and Topics
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 1  

  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.