Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Airgun Smithing » 2240 Auto Loader Goto page 1, 2  Next
2240 Auto Loader 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Moderator & Site Supporter
Just over a year ago I customised a Crosman 2240 the result of which I had a very nice pistol which was different to any other, basically a one off. At the time I said that my next project was to make it into an auto loader which is more easily said than done, so over the last year I have been playing around with different systems for getting the pellets into the breach, with the minimum of effort.

Some of the systems worked some were a waste of time but all had something wrong with them, using a rotary magazine and trying to index it mechanically I got it to work but it was to flimsy, and tore the index teeth off of the magazine, I could have rotated the magazine each shot by hand but this was not what I wanted.
I next tried using a bar magazine fed from the side of the gun, I used a system where the bolt passes through the hole in the magazine and pushes the pellet into the breach, but this required a very long stroke on the bolt in order to work.
So I finished up with a bar magazine fed from the side, so that when the cup in the magazine passed over the breach a pellet dropped into the loading channel. and is then pushed home by the bolt.

The system works 100% no jamming miss loading or any other problems, it is also built for heavy duty so hopefully it will have a very long life. I am using an eight pellet magazine which works well but does look a bit long, so I may try a five shot Magazine. I always try to make things to look cosmetically impressive, and a five shot setup would do that. One thing I did notice was that I used a lot of pellets in a short time plinking around the garden.

It shoots pellets as fast as you can pull the bolt back and forward, (It uses a stright pull bolt) and to make this quicker I fixed a spring behind the bolt to close it faster, unfortunetly the bolt did not lock and it shot the whole clip in about 2 seconds, what had hppened was that the bolt shot forward, I pulled the trigger and because the bolt was not locked the pellet shot out of the barrel and the bolt shot back, re-cocked the gun shot forward and because I was still holding the trigger it fired again, and so on until the clip was empty. (This has the makings of a mini machine gun) Laughing

There are some pictures below but I have covered up the workings for now, the reason is that I want to make a video of the gun in action, before I show how it works.

Al

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
That is tooooo effin cool! I want the prints! Pretty please?????? Mr. Green

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Quote:
unfortunetly the bolt did not lock and it shot the whole clip in about 2 seconds, what had hppened was that the bolt shot forward, I pulled the trigger and because the bolt was not locked the pellet shot out of the barrel and the bolt shot back, re-cocked the gun shot forward and because I was still holding the trigger it fired again, and so on until the clip was empty.

Remind me again why this is unfortunate?
All hail the king.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Although it went off like a machine pistol there were a few problems which I’m not sure how to solve, first the day I tried it the temperature was -1* F so I put the wife’s hair drier on the gun to warm it up a bit, I then wondered off for a while when I came back the gun was rather hot , so that put the pressure up more than normal which made it possible to blow the bolt back far enough to cock it, and at the same time blow a pellet out of the barrel, but I think the bolt used most of the Co2 as the pellet had very little power.

I have tried to get the gun to re-produce the same effect by changing springs etc, but so far no luck, I think you would need to hold the bolt in position until the pellet was well on its way down the barrel, then release the bolt, one way would be to tap a pipe into the barrel about 2/3rds the way up, then when the pellet passed that point Co2 would be diverted down the pipe to a piston, which would cock the bolt.

Or maybe it just wishful thinking. Smile

AL

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Quote:
one way would be to tap a pipe into the barrel about 2/3rds the way up, then when the pellet passed that point Co2 would be diverted down the pipe to a piston, which would cock the bolt

The concept sounds familiar...

If this is what you do for fun in your retirement, does it mean the Queen's navy is running around with twin 4.5" gun turrets that "accidentally" shoot 240 rounds per minute?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
Slavia wrote:
If this is what you do for fun in your retirement, does it mean the Queen's navy is running around with twin 4.5" gun turrets that "accidentally" shoot 240 rounds per minute?

I think it could be arranged?

This is my favourite piece of equipment a twin 75mm anti aircraft gun fed from two 15 round rotary magazines, and it's portable, you could the it on holiday.

Al

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Quote:
This is my favourite piece of equipment a twin 75mm anti aircraft gun fed from two 15 round rotary magazines

Those are magazines!

When did you make the RH breech for the photo on your signature line?

Be sure to advise us as soon as the video is available. Nice work.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:06 am Reply with quote
Alstone
[quote="Slavia"]
Quote:
When did you make the RH breech for the photo on your signature line?

Ha,ha, well spotted I just reversed the photo as I thought it would look better looking into the page than out. But it can be reversed in a couple of minutes, it's just a matter of unscrewing the bolt and screwing it in the other side.

Al

VIDEO 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:49 am Reply with quote
Alstone
Here's the Video, I do have to clean up the system make a cover, also a new bolt handle to make it easier to grip, plus a few more magazines.

As you can see it is very simple but does require a stright pull bolt system or similar.

http://s154.photobucket.com/albums/s268/alstonex/Video%204/?action=view&current=2240AutoLoader.mp4

Al

Last edited by Alstone on Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:00 am Reply with quote
Slavia
That's simply beautiful. I can see how it's going to suck pellets right out of the tin. Congratulations!

The same design could be made to work on the QB78.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:24 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
That's astounding! That's truly a worthy steampunk gun!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:12 pm Reply with quote
yourdaddyjoe
Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Nice job!

and now we hear what the infamous Al Stone sounds like.... Mr. Green

Say "NO" to BB Gun Wars... Quid Pro Quo Rule: An eye for an eye...
www.HPASports.com www.Facebook.com/hpasports

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
yourdaddyjoe wrote:
Nice job!

and now we hear what the infamous Al Stone sounds like.... Mr. Green

When making the movie I was going to get Tom Hanks to do the voice over, but Ridley Scott said I have to do it myself. Mr. Green

Cheers Joe

Al

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:22 pm Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I said it once and I'll say it again. That is too effen cool!!!! Thumb Up! YouAreAGod YouAreAGod YouAreAGod YouAreAGod YouAreAGod YouAreAGod

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Alstone
oddtodd wrote:
I said it once and I'll say it again. That is too effen cool!!!! Thumb Up! YouAreAGod YouAreAGod YouAreAGod YouAreAGod YouAreAGod YouAreAGod

Thanks Todd now I know it works ok I can finish it off with a nice casing, it also makes a handy ratter now being able to get a second shot in quickly.

Al

2240 Auto Loader 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Airgun Smithing