Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum


AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting » Mouse Hunting Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic  Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic 
Mouse Hunting 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:47 pm Reply with quote
mcskull
New Member
New Member
Joined: 07 Mar 2011
Posts: 4
I need a little input from experienced shooters, I hope you all can help answer some questions of mine.

I've been trying to educate myself as much as possible in airguns since I have no previous knowledge or experience. I primarily shoot, I believe the term is, "powder burners" at paper targets.

Right now, my wife and I are having an issue with mice getting in the house. Glue traps are effective (had 3 mice caught on a single trap once), but now the bastards are mocking me and the DECON poison bait doesn't seem to work. Mice are getting brave enough to wander out into the open and on the counters, looks like primarily crawling up behind the range.
According to the chart, a mouse (no rats here, just small field mice) can be taken down with a single shot that's 2 to 3 FPE. Reading the article, it pretty much sounds like ammunition used are pellets. Here's my dilemma.

As much fun as it would be to purchase a rifle (would be awesome to plink at the range with my other firearms), I really need to be practical in choosing a proper air gun. I wouldn't really think about airguns if I could go to town with .22LR shot shells, CB shorts, or if I could .22 WMR. .22 CB Shorts really seem like a viable option in my head, but that's still over 720FPS at the muzzle with powder and 'bang'...and the wife said no
Laughing

So, my primary question is: Is it really possible to take down a mouse with a .177 BB from a smoothbore that supposedly runs at 480 FPS from the muzzle?
According to a calculator provide through another website, a 5.7 grain BB + 480FPS = about 2.9 FPE
Course I'm pretty sure that should be the energy @ the muzzle, so factor in velocity drop due to range and other variables. Turns my head in a circle trying figure it out if it's possible or not. Math is not my strong point, I'm more into 'accurately guessing'

I need to keep velocity to a minimum to avoid any damage, especially if there is an off chance I miss a shot, and .177 seems to be the caliber size I need judging from the mice I'm catching on traps. This is why I lean towards BB.
Pellet plus rifling seems to be the sure kill from what I have learned so far, my biggest concern is over penetration and mess to clean up.
The mouse needs to basically drop on the spot, accurate shooting will not be an issue (will learn the quirks of the gun) and range will be less than 10 feet. Hence, pistol seems to be the best option instead of a rifle.

C02 as the power plant might be ideal for me (though I do see the cons behind it) since I would likely need to snap shot the rodents. Plus, my wife is more irritated with the rodents than me, it may be therapeutic for her to 'hunt' them herself Laughing so ease of use is an important factor.

I look forward to anyone's comments or advice. Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:41 pm Reply with quote
720fly
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 17 Oct 2010
Posts: 150
Location: a top of the Mountain of dreams
I'll chime in on this. In my immature Smile past I put a whole lot of dents in dry-wall, ovens, one time even broke the glass on a gas furness in a good number of get to a$$ rented apartments, it cost more to fix stuff than the whole dang properties were worth, Ahhh good old stupid youth --- any way bb's bounce all over the place!!!! Watch out ! Plus they arn't all that accurate, so big F-up's are bound to happen
If you really want to shoot them ( verses a good old fashion mouse trap w/ cheese) get a Crossman 13xx the one that pumps not co2 pistol, run pellets threw it, not bb's
You can easily determine the power by the amount of pumps you put in to it. Plus they are pretty dang accurate, so screwing up your home will be less of an issue
Hope that helps you out Neutral
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:11 pm Reply with quote
sniper
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Posts: 3752
Location: Star, Idaho
I've taken 2 point blank in my kitchen. crosman 760 with a pellet!
3 pumps is around 250+ fps. they pass thru. Shocked

No bb's!!!! They richochet. The one I got by the toaster put a dent in the wall (pellet) and landed on the floor. The 760 is THE mouser. Twisted Evil
I have taken large rats with it @ 15 yards. Twisted Evil

Above 300 fps close range is too much.

_________________
I believe in gun control,
If there's a gun around I
want to be controlling it.......
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:19 pm Reply with quote
720fly
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 17 Oct 2010
Posts: 150
Location: a top of the Mountain of dreams
Ha ha sniper, I'm a loon and your a man after my own heart,so... Gee maybe it's just a certain type of air gunner, I don't know, just made me smile
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Mark5043
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 12 Apr 2009
Posts: 1379
sniper wrote:
I've taken 2 point blank in my kitchen. crosman 760 with a pellet!
3 pumps is around 250+ fps. they pass thru. Shocked

No bb's!!!! They richochet. The one I got by the toaster put a dent in the wall (pellet) and landed on the floor. The 760 is THE mouser. Twisted Evil
I have taken large rats with it @ 15 yards. Twisted Evil

Above 300 fps close range is too much.
What he said

My personal favorite indoor mouse guns are a 1377 pumper 3-4 pumps,and the Crosman .357 with wad cutters..depending on what's behind the target.


Last edited by Mark5043 on Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:27 pm Reply with quote
kanyon
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 09 Aug 2008
Posts: 1582
Location: New Zealand
Hi...
i think the 1377 would be a good bet...
its a .177 multi pumper pistol...but can take a stock.
you can control the power out put by the number of pumps.
with a stock its still small/light.

_________________
Career Infinity PCP .22
Webley Patriot .25
Hatsan mod 75 .22
Hatsan mod 99 .177 (Quattro & SAS)
Kral underlever .177


.............................................


.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:19 pm Reply with quote
mcskull
New Member
New Member
Joined: 07 Mar 2011
Posts: 4
Thanks for the suggestions. At least it proves I was checking guns along the right track. I have been looking at three different models, the 1377, crosman .357, and S&W M&P (air gun after my own heart lol).

If a .177 BB could do the trick, the M&P would be ideal. But bouncing steel BB, yeah, not a good thing. Haven't had any experience with steel BB's, but 6mm plastic through an airsoft gun, that would be yes.
When we first started having the 'mice invasion', I had my MK23 SOCOM single shot springer (probably 200 FPS) out hoping to at least stun the little bastards for a snatch a grab. I was sitting in the living room watching TV with the wife when one snuck out between our couch and recliner. Distance was about 5 feet from where I was sitting. Got a shot off and the BB bounced of it's head ricocheting around the room. If a steel BB would do remotely the same, then that's a no go. Bout all it did was scare the literal crap out of the mouse, but at least got it cornered where I could lay down glue traps. Which in the end I won Laughing

So between the Crosman 1377C and .357, I'm really leaning towards the 1377C despite the bolty single shot design. Being able to 'manually' adjust output easily, accurate and simple, the ability to be upgraded (makes me think of a Ruger 10/22), and full potential of 600 FPS (like a low end air rifle). Plus no need for consumble power plant that is pretty finicky pending on environmental conditions. Sounds like a winner to me.
Without the reliance on a C02 powerlet, the 1377C has potential for use outside of indoor mouse hunting which is a definite plus.

So here's another question.
Going off of what sniper mentioned of the Crosman 760. Essentially it's a similar firing system (multi-pump) so a through & through shot is entirely possible with a 1377 even with minimal pumps. Is it correct in my thought process that pellets essentially function the same as rifle ammunition?
I have a .223 bolt action, did a lot of research (with extended discussions with my dad who's been working on weapons 27 years for the Army) when selecting the cailber and the rifle it's self. If I load low grain ammo, say 45 grain, I'd get higher velocity but lower contained energy especially the further out it goes. Loading higher grain (69 gr supposedly optimal according to manufacturer of the rifle) will maintain energy at longer distances but tends to be a bit slower due to the heavier slug.
So...if pellets work the same, I could use a low grain pellet with minimal pumps to help deter over penetration of the target (but will likely build my own bait/killbox for a backstop purposes). If I also select something like a hollowpoint or soft nose slug, energy should help disperse through the target (hopefully stopping) versus a pointed slug (which would function like a FMJ round).
Anyways, that's the theoretical in my head, doesn't mean I'm correct.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:28 pm Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Joined: 30 Dec 2008
Posts: 2029
Location: Richmond, IN USA
I agree sign I think the 1377 is a good adjustable power pistol. I used to have one, but I gave it to my nephew because the pumping 10 times between shots for max power. Two pumps should take care of it. I used to use 2 pumps to knock down pop cans in my bedroom. Word of advice though. One pump and you can wathc the pellet leave the barrel. lol

_________________
Airguns: Two starlings talking "Larry, did you hear that? Larry?? LARRY!!!!"
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:19 am Reply with quote
domer_pyle
Senior Member
Senior Member
Joined: 17 Sep 2009
Posts: 523
Tally another vote for the 1377. There's a thread I started in the pictures section where you can see one with the stock next to several rifles to get the idea of how short it is.

Use the lightest wadcutter you can find, the flat head will deliver plenty of shock requiring less fps to stun and prevents pass throughs. A buddy's M-rod with the 27.8 grain Benji pellets punches holes in Co2 cartridges but with the lighter 25.4 grain JSB pellets they only split the front.

My stock 1377c (actually a pc77 which is exactly the same besides the name) with 7.4 grain Crosman wadcutters gets the following velocities starting at one pump and ending at ten

207
291
350
390
421
445
467
495
506
527

So as you can see 3 pumps would probably put you right where you want to be, and one might even be enough to get it to hold still for a few seconds if you face his a$$
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:39 pm Reply with quote
old joe krantz
Member
Member
Joined: 31 Oct 2010
Posts: 46
Location: Southern Cal
Have you considered getting a cat?

Entertaining thread!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Moderator
Moderator
Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Posts: 4382
Location: Waseca, Minnesota, USA
Quote:
The one I got by the toaster

I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I used the toaster. One shot one kill. She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed bought a new toaster the next day.

Quote:
a good old fashion mouse trap w/ cheese

Peanut butter, bacon fat, and oatmeal. In 1973 a college professor had us use it for a meadow vole study, and it has worked for me ever since.

I vote for the 1377 - and definitely no BB's.

_________________
¡Listo! ¡Apunte! ¡Fuego!
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:24 am Reply with quote
blacksheep
New Member
New Member
Joined: 10 Apr 2011
Posts: 6
Location: WI
old joe krantz wrote:
Have you considered getting a cat?


But how much fun would that be?

I've a similar situation. I keep pigeons as a hobbie, and the mice are constantely entering my garage and feeding from on the left overs. I drew the line, when they feed in broad day light right in front of me.

If anything, this helps me scratch that itch durring the off season.
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:18 pm Reply with quote
mcskull
New Member
New Member
Joined: 07 Mar 2011
Posts: 4
Ouch, got side tracked and haven't been back in a bit. I apologize for that.

@domer_pyle

Thanks for the numbers, much appreciated! The 1377 will go onto my 'wishlist'. I found a 9mm pistol in a gun shop and is what unfortunately got me side tracked so my "gun funds" are a little dry right now.

@old joe krantz

Well...sure a cat could take care of my problem I guess. But I already have a dog (who has caught two of the buggers thus far but is still a lazy a$$) plus the wife and I are not much fans of domesticated felines.
Though I have to say, my Welsh Corgi has been pretty good at hearing the rodents well before I do. He seems to find mice in places where I could bag'n tag the things if I had something to safely shoot indoors. Suspected holes where the rodents are entering have been plugged with steel wool, but still have some mice lingering around that will require a more aggressive approach. Preferably a baited kill zone.

@blacksheep

When these bastards run out from concealment in broad day light, it really burns me. I bench shoot paper targets, onsite moving targets will certainly keep me from getting bored when not having a chance to visit the range. Laughing

The mouse thing unfortunately is taking a slight backburner at this time. My brother in law has a groundhog that needs to be taken care of, so future funds will likely be invested in a solution for that. He has a little one of 2 years, so he wants to do something productive for his girl by fixing up the yard. He's in a packed neighborhood with plenty of LEO's residing on the same street. My .223 & SKS are definitely out of the question with no proper backstop. Being inside city limits with neighboring state troopers, firearms are a no go even if I used CB Longs in my 10/22 (sub-sonic ammo won't even cycle correctly anyways), though I would ideally like to use some frangible .22LR ammo I saw recently. Especially considering I've seen the bastard in person and I'm pretty sure the destructive rodent is around 15 pounds.
Besides, I can really see myself having a great time with a .22 air rifle on the range instead of using a powder burner so it certainly would not be a wasted investment Smile
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:26 pm Reply with quote
mch441
Member
Member
Joined: 03 Feb 2010
Posts: 12
ive heard that a plastic bottle and some electrical tape really help with the noise on those small caliber varmint guns but i wouldnt know cause i think that might be illegal and i would never want to think about fracturing a law. Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil
ive also heard that if you do try it make sure to clean the gun right away seems that any moisture that is in the bottle will get sucked right into the barrel.the change in air pressure that silences the shot also cause the moisture to get sucked back into the barrel
________
DolceSecretary


Last edited by mch441 on Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Jr. Squirreler
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Joined: 12 Dec 2010
Posts: 419
Location: New York
When i had a Mice Promblem in my home, The Crosman 1377 "American Classic" did the trick Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Mouse Hunting 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
All times are GMT - 5 Hours  
Page 1 of 2  
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  
  
 Post new topic  Reply to topic  

Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.


Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page


Powered by phpBB © 2001-2004 phpBB Group
Partial Styling Supplied by Vjacheslav Trushkin Themes Database.