Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

RifleScope-Shop.com Store Logo
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » RWS Maintenance Question - Which Oil is Best?
RWS Maintenance Question - Which Oil is Best? 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:22 am Reply with quote
Infidel
Just got my first springer air gun, an RWS Diana 34. I am basically a newbie except for the pump up Sheridan I had 30 odd years ago.

I am very pleased and impressed by what the 34 will do with a steady hold, even though break-in has just started. Is it necessary to use the special RWS spring cylinder and chamber lube oils, or is it OK to use the Break-Free or Rem Oil I always use on my powder guns? I don't want to damage the seals or cause "dieseling".

What oil do you experts advise for spring type guns and how often should lubrication be done?

Thanks

Infidel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:55 am Reply with quote
walter
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
cant answer your question, but wanted to say congradulations on your first springer. Mr. Green i just got mine too, 97k about 1000 pellets ago. love it. they will usually get better the more pellets you get through them so keep shooting and enjoy it. Wink walt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:06 pm Reply with quote
sniper
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
No firearm oils!!!!!! you will cook the seal!!!

The rws chamber lube is good. Use sparingly. (every few thousand shots)
Also, do not dry fire after applying.

load a pellet and shoot the lube out.

Oils and lubes... 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Dukemeister
The modern springers, including your RWS 34, have synthetic piston seals that generally require no lubrication at all. For all round good measure you could acquire a RWS shooters kit, http://www.specialtyshootingsportsoutdoors.com/store/air-gun-accessories/rws/rws-shooters-kit-177cal/prod_1114.html it's good value and contains the common lubes for your springer. The air chamber lube is silicone oil, use it only one drop down the air transfer port every 1000 shots or so. Never put it on metal to metal joints. The other oil is spring cylinder oil, you can apply a few drops at all hinge points and on the cocking slot and the spring visible through the slot, every year or so. It doesn't go in the air chamber because it will diesel and detonate, and is good for metal to metal contact. When you strip and lube the internals, you can clean out the entire air chamber and lube the spring, piston ends, with moly grease making sure no grease gets forward of the seal.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Infidel
Thanks you guys for the RWS lube advice. I have ordered the RWS shooters kit so I can start off right.

PS- My owners pamphlet for the model 34 does not cover detail dis-assembly or have a parts list. I found an exploded view but no instructions on the Umarex site. Are there any tricks to dis-assembly on these things so you don't end up launching a spring across the room? Hopefully it'll be a long time before I need to strip it down, maintenance is so much less than powder guns.

Cheers,

Infidel
RWS Maintenance Question - Which Oil is Best? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles