Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting » Air Rifle For Depredation Of Coon, Beaver, and Coyotes. Goto page 1, 2  Next
Air Rifle For Depredation Of Coon, Beaver, and Coyotes. 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:13 am Reply with quote
Varmint Exterminator
I do depredation of coon, beaver, coyote, from duck and pheasant clubs and at times tradtional fire arms can disturb nesting birds, etc and I was hoping to get recommendations here on an air rifle that would suit my needs. My main consideration is function.
22 cal is what I'm guessing would be my best option?
A gun that would tolerate all weather conditions and rigorous use would be a plus also.
Basically I'm looking for a pellet gun that would have the most killing power, ease of use. The nitro piston guns look very easy to maintain?
I'd like to spend between 3, and 500. If there is a gun that is significantly better than runs more than 500 please don't hesitate to recommend it as well.
Though I do appreciate over all looks I'm not oposed to a gun that is light on finish and big on performance. A fellow at my local gun shop suggested this off the shelf gun buthttp://www.crosman.com/blogs/croswords/?p=229
I figured you all might know of a better option and I'd really like to get the most bang for my buck.

I have read several pages of this board and it seems like a great forum and I am antisipating some very educated responces. Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:48 am Reply with quote
kanyon
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Hi..

I think you need to be looking at a PCP
maybe a .25 marauder..but if you
are after a spring gun...the Webley Patriot .25
hits hard around 30fpe

Pete

Hatsan mod 99 .177 (Quattro & SAS)
Kral underlever .177

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:41 am Reply with quote
verlineUi.net
thanks for the share.. would really take note about it.. Mr. Green

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:35 am Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Please do not post the same question in multiple areas of the forum, Thank-you.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:07 am Reply with quote
jlwilliams
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You need a pretty serious air rifle for coyotes and you need to be close. Springers are easy to use, but for the maximum power in any given caliber, you need to look at precharged pneumatics (PCP). The .25 Marauder is a good place to start looking. BSA and Webley have some good spring action .25 cal guns, and they both offer some PCP offerings. One thing in strong favor of the Marauder is that it's a repeater. It's tough to bag two woodchucks with a springer.

You may also want to check out another forum where they are really dedictaed to this sort of thing. http://www.network54.com/Forum/414006/ They are big into big bore's so brace yourself for sticker shock when you do a search on some of the guns they mention. Some of those guys are hunting deer and hogs with airguns, and that takes a serious airgun.

Beware. Airgunning is adictive. Once you get a good gun and start seeing how much shooting you can do whith one, you'll need more. You need the big one for your varminting, then you'll need a .177 for small stuff and general knocking around (NOTHING is cheaper to shoot than .177 pellets) Then you'll need a pistol, cause why not. And on and on.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:55 am Reply with quote
rsterne
My response to the other thread got deleted.... so I'll give you the short version here.... You need a MINIMUM of 1 FPE energy for each pound of body weight for a clean kill with a perfectly placed shot.... Racoons can easily run 30 lbs.... Beaver 55 lbs.... and Coyote from 45 - 65 lbs depending on where you live.... That means you need the power of a .22 CB Cap for Racoons, and a .22 Short for Beaver or Coyote MINIMUM....

You should be looking at something like a Condor and even then you better be a good shot....

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Varmint Exterminator
Thank you all for taking the time to help me make an informed decision.
The Benjamin Marauder .25 is an option that no one seems to have any issue with regarding quality, capability, etc.

I have just a few questions before I buy.
Is there different types of this same gun, or options that would be more conducive to my needs (stock material, finish, sights, etc, etc)?
It says it comes with an 8 shot bracket and I'm wondering will this accomidate the exact type of pellet I would use for larger game?
Seems most larger grain game pellets are used in single shot applications?
What would be the best pellet for my use and what reputable source online would you recommend I buy the gun and ammo from?
Is this the exact gun below? Thank you.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=benjamin+marauder+.25&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7GGLL_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=11771287914390639019&ei=2_rmTMemMYG-sAP8rP2wCw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CB4Q8wIwAA#

or do these look like a significantly better option? Price seems fairly relative???

http://airgunstyle.com/sumatra-2500-p-483.html?osCsid=9335fe64cead7c222a0515a0df2146d6

http://www.simplybbguns.com/Career-707-9mm-Ultra--P673.aspx

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:26 am Reply with quote
720fly
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
here is the pcp problem. AIR to fire, if you don't have access to a compressor that cost WAY more than the gun, or spend a butt ton on mods for the thing( scuba....) then your stuck with an over priced hand pump that will fall apart once any humidity or changing temps get to it ????? they need to fix this issues
I like self contained. A break barrel with good fps is a killer,
Range is a question, at 30 ft. a yodey will drop like a dirty shirt with a well placed shot(temple)
My Benji trail np xl .22 has killed a coon at 75ft. and two coyotes at 30 - 40 ft.
Countless crows, one porcupine in the few months I've owned it
If you can find a Benji 392 that a Money gun, 15 years proven

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Jaxom
I'm not sure where you're coming from 720fly, it's not all that expensive to go pcp. Got my scuba tank for $80 off craigslist and it'll cost another $70 including shipping for my adapter. Sure you can go nuts with other mod's but that's a shooter's prepfernce.

RE recommends...

I'm surprised nobody's recommended the Career Dragonslayer for the larger game. Comes in .9mm, 45, and 50 caliber. Surely that'd be enough to take down a coyote!!!

Jax

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:23 pm Reply with quote
jlwilliams
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jaxom wrote:

I'm surprised nobody's recommended the Career Dragonslayer for the larger game. Comes in .9mm, 45, and 50 caliber. Surely that'd be enough to take down a coyote!!!

Jax

And you can use bullets and sabots that come off the shelf wherever muzzle loader suplies are sold. At least for the 45 and 50. 45 and 50 skirted pellets are avilable and probably fly better, but if you have your range all dialed in you'll spend way less on hard cast bullets and a bag of sabots. There is also lead ball, which is prety economical. you may be able to the same with 9mm, but I don't know.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
720fly
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
said it before DISCO next, but with all the research I've done it would seam that a compressor that Might do the 3000 psi (I know the disco is 2000psi) retails at $400 - $800, I've been told that a compressor that will do the job is like $4000 -- so that plus hand pump issues, then just the simple fact that you are spending another $150 ish on tanks? thats all.
I thought this guy sounded more into powder burning and the airgun was of mild interest, my bad if I was wrong Mr. Green

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:33 am Reply with quote
broommaster2000
Why not just ge a silencer liscense? 200 bucks and you're good to go. All those big bore airguns also make a load of noize.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:08 pm Reply with quote
kanyon
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Get a crossbow....

Hatsan mod 99 .177 (Quattro & SAS)
Kral underlever .177

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:49 pm Reply with quote
fritz
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
What he said

Good idea.

Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.

It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:17 pm Reply with quote
grandpa01
Hi.
You are talking prediator that requires more knock down power than your average tree rat. I would suggust a .25 putting out at least 800 fts or more shooting a 30 grn+ round nose pellet. If you go with a .22 you need one that puts out 900 fps with a minimun of a 21 grn pellet.
I use H&N Baracuddas in both .22 & .25 ( 21.10 & 31.0 respectively). I also stay with round nose as I usually prefer not to have a pass throu. Also with a pellet gun shot placement is a priority, so a scope is high on the must have list.

As for the choice of type & mfg. I am partial to a PCP gun & AirForce Condors in particular. But these take time to setup for. You need to try different pellets to see what your gun likes. You can get shrouds for these and they do quiet them down. The .22 can be bought from several online stores, without a shroud. The .25 can be purchased through several airgun smiths set up to shoot and with a shroud, price varies depending on how extensiive a tune you want them to do.
Springer are great rifle and with practice most of the mid to upper end models will shoot with good hunting accucary, but you cannot quiet these down to the level that a of a PCP.
I have taken a small coyoyte (35 lbs) with my .25 Condor at a lasered 115 yards.

Talon SS .22
Air Rifle For Depredation Of Coon, Beaver, and Coyotes. 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Hunting, Pest Control, Varminting