Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Pellets/Ammo » pellet diameters
pellet diameters 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:27 pm Reply with quote
SmokinJim
I have a question concerning the diameter of pellets. I have been useing H&N 4.5, 8.18 gr pellets in my Remington npss. What is the effect of using a larger diameter pellet? Also, approx. how heavy of a pellet should be used it this type air rifle. I am very new to air rifles and find it hard to get information. Thanks for any advise. I sure am having fun with it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:30 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
Some of the higher quality pellets (H&N, JSB) are available in different diameters.... I have seen 4.51, 4.52, 4.53, and 4.54 mm.... Each gun is different.... even between two guns of the same model.... You have to try them to find out how they work in your particular gun....

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:41 pm Reply with quote
SmokinJim
rsterne, I was afraid that would be the advise. Is the larger diamiter to stop any air from going around the sides of the pellet when fired or just required if the internal diamension of the barrel different on each gun?

Do you have any advise on how heavy a pellet would be appropriate for the Remington .177 npss?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:22 am Reply with quote
kanyon
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Just a thought on it... Exclamation ... Smile
The bigger the dia ..the gun can build slightly more pressure in the chamber as the bigger pellet requires more psi to get it moveing... Question
JSB pellets are a softer lead than H&N..So a small H&N may be simular
to a bigger JSB.. Question

Pete

Hatsan mod 99 .177 (Quattro & SAS)
Kral underlever .177

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:02 am Reply with quote
packrat
It also will result in more friction, which would mean less fps..no?
As far as information,,,,your troubles are OVER Smile Smile There's more information on this site than you can possibly imagine!!! try using the "search" feature.....sometimes it can really be of value..other times....not so much Exclamation BUT...the info IS HERE..if search doesn'y help, just ask here..I promise you you'll get whatever help you need ..This site ROCKS !!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Bozo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
When I first bought my Gamo, I also bought a sampler pack of Gamo pellets. I noticed that, within three of the four tins, there was a variety of sizes. I was having trouble getting any sort of decent grouping. So I hung three targets. The pellets that dropped right in I shot at the left hand target. The pellets that "felt right" I fired at the center target. The ones that felt *too* tight went to the right hand target.

The right hand (tight pellets) target ended up with about a 3" group. The left hand target (loose pellets) wound up looking like I was patterning a shotgun, call it a 10+" group. The center target (the pellets that "felt right") ended up with about a 1" group. (10 yds from a new AG) If the manufacturing tolerances were a little different on my barrel things might have ended up differently, but I think this points out that the diameter of the pellets *will* affect the accuracy of your shooting. And that testing in *your* gun is the only way to tell which size is best.

I should have dug out the micrometer, and I wish I had a chronometer to do the test more precisely, but the overall results are still valid. (I haven't bothered buying any more Gamo pellets. Maybe their more expensive pellets would have better quality control.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:54 am Reply with quote
wrecktangle
So far, for me, the JSB Match Diabolo Exact .177 Cal, 8.4 Grains, Domed, 500ct. (4.52mm) seem to work the best in my Remington .177 NPSS.

I've tried the Crosman Premiers, light and heavy (the ones packed in the box) some Air Arms, some H&N, and some others, but the JSB's seem to give me the tightest groups.

I'm a bit disappointed in the Remington, having had better results with the far less expensive Crosman Extreme G1.
Re Pellet sizes 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:01 pm Reply with quote
rualert
Hope no one minds posting links, but Straight Shooters offers pellet samplers, which is a great way to find the "magic pellet" for your specific gun. I have quite a few different guns, and some are picker than others. Anyway, here is the link to their samplers, if this is not desirable to post, I apologize in advance, and just let me know not to do so in the future.

Casey

http://www.straightshooters.com/navagationpages/straightshooterssamplers.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Jaxom
Fine to post as far as I know. Tis how we find new and exciting places to buy more ag's and ag accessores!!! (wicked evil scientist laugh)

My only concerns would be, are 25 enough to get a good sampling? Most of my ag stuff is packed for a move soon so I don't have alot of range time in....yet. Others here often put 500-1000 of one pellet through just to break in...then start narrowing it down for smaller groups.

btw...welcome to agh!

Jax

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:06 pm Reply with quote
rsterne
Simple.... run a tin of anything through to break the gun in and sight it in.... then use the sampler.... 25 pellets is enough to find out which pellets are no good and which show promising groups.... It's enough for five 5-shot groups.... Many pellets will likely not warrant even shooting more than two groups in my experience....

You can further narrow the decision by eliminating those that do not suit your purpose.... eg no wadcutters if you are trying to hunt at longer ranges.... or concentrate on wadcutters for target work.... Then purchase full tins of those pellets you think work well enough to warrant further investigation....

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:57 am Reply with quote
Slavia
Rsterne is right on all counts. Less than five shots won't give you an accurate picture, and more is probably not going to give you any more information than five.

I usually try to find two pellets that work - one for indoors, and one for longer ranges outdoors. For example - in my Slavia 631, RWS Meisterkugeln's are the most accurate at 10m, but Superdomes are better at 25m+. It depends on your intended purpose.

The "rejected" pellets won't be wasted - save them for when accuracy isn't crucial, like killing tin cans or pop bottles.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:11 pm Reply with quote
SmokinJim
Thanks for the information and advise guys.
pellet diameters 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Pellets/Ammo