Click Here for AirGunHome.com Main Page
Argentina Australia Belgium Canada Chile Denmark France Germany Greece India
Italy Mexico New Zealand Netherlands Norway Russian Federation South Africa Spain Turkey United Kingdom United States
AirGunHome.com: THE Worldwide Airgun Forum

AirGunSeals.com Main Page Link
Air Gun Home Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles » How can I make my Quest 1000x better? Goto page 1, 2  Next
How can I make my Quest 1000x better? 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:23 am Reply with quote
Lorance66
Hello all....first post here. I tried to do some searching but maybe I am not using the right search terms.

I have a Crosman Quest 1000X which came with a scope. I probably have about 500 rounds thru it by now and I have tried all kinds of pellets but I cannot seem to keep this thing accurate. I am using it for pigeon extermination and I have gotten quite a few hits so far but all of a sudden it will just be off really bad so I sight it in to find it two to three inches high or low. I am thinking it is the scope and maybe I just need a better one....but....are there any mods that can be done to this rifle to improve power and/or accuracy? Should I get a new scope?

FYI the pellets I have shot are the Cabelas pointed hunting pellets which I think are like 8.5 g and Cabelas dome shaped hunting pellets which are 10.5 g......recently I bought Beeman silver arrows (11.5g pointed) and they seem to be pretty good.....they hit very hard but I thought maybe the longer pellet would carry the spin better or something. Oh and I bought some PBA Raptor pellets, generally a waste as I will never see a shot in their effective range. Wish I had been more educated before buying those.

Thanks for any replies all!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:09 am Reply with quote
donec
Welcome Lorance66 to AGH. I used to have a Crosman Quest 1000X. Since it seems it was shooting good and then stopped the first thing that comes to mind is check the screws to see if they have come loose. If they have then add some blue Locktite and re-tighten them but don't over tighten them as you may compress some of the wood.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:43 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
Is there a stop pin on the scope mount? If not, you need one.

Next, look into getting a trigger improvement- the GTX II from Airguns of Arizona.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:47 pm Reply with quote
oddtodd
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
I've got a storm, which is the same action with a different stock and scope. I found mine always has problems with the screw in the trigger guard coming loose. I finally used locktite on it to hold it in and I haven't had any accuracy problems since. I ended up locktiting every stock to action screw because they are all good at working loose.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Quote:
the first thing that comes to mind is check the screws to see if they have come loose. If they have then add some blue Locktite and re-tighten them but don't over tighten them as you may compress some of the wood.

Second that. Check the stock and scope mounting screws. Another screw to watch is the barrel pivot (right under where you load the pellet). It should be tight enough so the barrel won't move with gravity after the gun is cocked. Use blue Loctite there, too - but only on the threads.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Lorance66
cool, I will check on all these things. I work out of town and unfortunately I cannot check it until I am home this weekend but good suggestions.

I have to ask tho, what is a stop pin and how to I tell if I have one? My scope just clamps on to the rails.

Also, what does the trigger mod do for me? I'm sorry guys....I grew up on shotguns and rifles but only shooting. I'm a total noob when it comes to what makes these things tick.

thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:35 pm Reply with quote
AirGunEric
Site Admin
Site Admin
The rifle will have a hole in the tube (near the rear of the scope rail)- the mount you are using should have a pin that extends downward and fits in this hole so the mount cannot move backwards/forwards as a result of the dual-recoil of the spring movement.

The trigger design used on this rifle (and about 40 other models from Crosman and other manufacturers) has far too much creep and no good warning when you are approaching the release point- it's "adjustability" is a joke. It is difficult to work with and often results in "pulling" the rifle just before the sear is released, putting the shot off target. The aftermarket unit has a completely different geometry and full adjustability- makes for a radically different (better) shooting experience.

I'd say "I care."

But I'd be lying.

Canadian Airgun Supplier: http://www.scopesandammo.com/storefront

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Quote:
The rifle will have a hole in the tube (near the rear of the scope rail)- the mount you are using should have a pin that extends downward and fits in this hole so the mount cannot move backwards/forwards as a result of the dual-recoil of the spring movement.

This is the scope block on a Crosman G1:

Quote:
The trigger design used on this rifle (and about 40 other models from Crosman and other manufacturers) has far too much creep and no good warning when you are approaching the release point- it's "adjustability" is a joke. It is difficult to work with and often results in "pulling" the rifle just before the sear is released, putting the shot off target. The aftermarket unit has a completely different geometry and full adjustability- makes for a radically different (better) shooting experience.

To my way of thinking the GRT/GTX replacement triggers are also safer. The original is supposedly a two-stage trigger, lighter at first and then suddenly heavier to mark the point of release. The reason it feels that way is that the trigger does absolutely nothing during the the "first stage," and only contacts the sear to nudge it "over the edge." A good bump could do the same thing. The aftermarket triggers allow full sear engagement on cocking, and mark the start of stage two with a change in geometry (leverage, if you will).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:15 pm Reply with quote
packrat
No one going to mention the need for "artillery hold" ?? Isn't that paramount for accuracy with spring guns??

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:44 pm Reply with quote
kanyon
Silver Status Member
Silver Status Member
Hi..
I have a B19..Which is what the crosman guns are...
never had a prob with the scope but I have drilled a hole
in the compression tube for the mount pin...

power / smoothness wise mine has a complete custom
guide set...Its a totaly diffrent gun the I walk out of the shop with
& the GRT trigger fits...

Ps..I made two guide sets..still have a set kicking around..

Pete

Hatsan mod 99 .177 (Quattro & SAS)
Kral underlever .177

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:45 am Reply with quote
Lorance66
interesting.....the rifle came with the scope but I do not remember it having a stop device or anything but I am the type of guy I guess who may have tossed it in the garbage without knowing for all I know. I have to assume I don't have one though.....so the rifle should still have a hole in the plug or barrel? If not can I order one that clamps on the rails like the pic that was posted?

I can't wait to get home this weekend and check!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:46 am Reply with quote
wrecktangle
Off topic a bit and I apologize,

Slavia, is that your G1? I just picked one up at Dicks Sporting Goods to add to my collection (I need another rifle like I need a root canal). How do you like it?

For $89 I thought it a good deal. Only have a hundred or so pellets thru mine, so it's no where broken in, but it seems to shoot as well as my Remington NPSS.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Slavia
Quote:
Slavia, is that your G1? I just picked one up at Dicks Sporting Goods to add to my collection (I need another rifle like I need a root canal). How do you like it?

It's not superlative, but not bad either. I mostly shoot it off a bench at 50-100 yards. I tuned it a little:
http://www.airgunhome.com/agforum/viewtopic.php?t=1760&start=0

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Lorance66
wow. I am surely an idiot. I cannot believe I didn't notice it when I installed the scope but sure enough, the rear mount has a stop pin and the barrel has the accommodating hole. I remounted my scope this time using the stop pin and checked everything else for tightness and it was all good, no barrel droop or anything. I can get a pretty tight group now (so far) at about 20 yards sighting in on a paper target. How it holds remains to be seen but thanks EVERYONE for posting! After some testing I will post some long run results.

Brad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Lorance66
sorry accidental double post

Last edited by Lorance66 on Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
How can I make my Quest 1000x better? 
  Air Gun Home Forum Index » Rifles