 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:19 am |
|
|
| fritz |
| Silver Status Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 25 Nov 2008 |
| Posts: 2443 |
| Location: New Jersey- outside of Philadelphia |
|
|
 |
Hmm. I respect your choice, you are a grown man (I hope )
I do think for now you should just keep the Savage and wait it out for the Disco. I haven't heard much (if any) good things about the Talon, which is why I recommended the 350. Had also suggested the 54 because at that time, I thought pressure was an issue. I withdraw that statement now. The gun is way too heavy for you to pack around.
Also with the 350 you could give your neighbor a nice rifle that will last them. |
|
_________________ "I never set out to be wierd, it was always everyone else who called me it" -Frank Zappa
Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.
It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person. |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:17 pm |
|
|
| a77ssii |
| Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 07 May 2010 |
| Posts: 15 |
|
|
|
 |
| Yes, been around awhile. 36 years and 5 states to be exact. The neighbor issue is he won't "hunt" with one so sees no reason to spend over $100 for one, all he wants is a Muskrat gun for his pond. He's seen me drop squirrels with 1 head shot at 30 yds silently with the Gamo yet he will not admit that at 30-40 yds an airgun is equal to a .22LR on squirrel, chipmunks, Blue Grouse, etc and IMO is better because you don't need ears. We have about another year left on the basement, once that's done there would be no issue spending whatever I wanted but right now the house is the priority. As to the Talon, I am of the opinion brand name and $$ is not always the best. I had a Leupold scope on my .300 initially, paid $900 for the scope. 10 shots and it was gutted, sent if back, same thing. Did this 4 times before I just sold it and took a chance with a $80 Tru Glo, that scope has been on for 2 years, still zero'd, been frozen, cooked and dropped with no issues and the general consensus in the hunting community is it's a POS and the Leupold is gold plated. I beg to differ. Once I put some rounds though it I'll post my opinions and results for all to see whether they're good, bad or ugly. For me a good airgun MUST keep a quarter sized or smaller group at 30yds, my Gamo Hunter 220 does it and I paid $50 for it at a garage sale. It just took me a bit to determine which pellet it wanted to digest and it happened to be Predators, any other pellet and it shoots 2" groups. |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:14 pm |
|
|
| fritz |
| Silver Status Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 25 Nov 2008 |
| Posts: 2443 |
| Location: New Jersey- outside of Philadelphia |
|
|
 |
I would agree on the scopes. If it works, it works.
You already ordered the Talon, we shall find out if it's gold plated or a POS. Now by stating that you are getting a new gun, it's an unwritten forum clause that you must post pictures (lots of gun porn) and a review. Chrony numbers are extra points
Tell your neighbor the squirrels around here can't tell the difference between a 40gr LRN out of a .22lr, or a 14.3gr .22 pellet from a Super Streak. Even at 50 yards. I doubt your squirrels can.
On the marmots, you definitely need a good 20+ fpe to put them down. 1fpe per pound of critter. More is better. |
|
_________________ "I never set out to be wierd, it was always everyone else who called me it" -Frank Zappa
Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.
It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person. |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sat May 22, 2010 7:36 pm |
|
|
| a77ssii |
| Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 07 May 2010 |
| Posts: 15 |
|
|
|
 |
| Don't have a chrony, sorry. But pics are no problem. Expecting it on Monday and a bunch of different pellet brands and weights on Tue so barring an emergency at work I should be able to come up with something by the weekend. I figured for the Marmots I'd try it and keep the Buckmark at hand to finish if need be, that will be what keeps it or sells it. Don't expect any kill data until Sept, that's when all the seasons start to open up. I've tried to drill it into him, when any pointed object at the proper velocity enters the cranium of a tree rat they don't know what hit them whether it's a bullet, pellet or pointed stick. |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:25 pm |
|
|
| fritz |
| Silver Status Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 25 Nov 2008 |
| Posts: 2443 |
| Location: New Jersey- outside of Philadelphia |
|
|
 |
If the Talon produces anything near the advertised velocity, you shouldn't need the Buckmark. But it still might be good to carry in case any goblins or such come along.
There really wouldn't be a point to drawing the Buckmark to finish off a critter when you can just as easily reload your rifle. |
|
_________________ "I never set out to be wierd, it was always everyone else who called me it" -Frank Zappa
Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.
It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person. |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.
|