 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | First post, question attached |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:36 pm |
|
|
| a77ssii |
| Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 07 May 2010 |
| Posts: 15 |
|
|
|
 |
| Been mainly into cartridge guns but decided it was time for a somewhat decent air gun so picked up a Gamo 220 a few years ago and have been finding myself shooting it more than my cartridge guns even tho I can/do shoot just about anything in the yard (so long as the projectile doesn't leave my property it's legal). I typically squirrel hunt with my Savage Mark II but thinking this year I'm going to use the Gamo and my little .32 muzzleloader. I finally found a nice place around 12,000' that has a nice population of Marmot's and Ptarmigan so the Gamo will also be headed up there. The question I have is I'm thinking about a Walther Falcon in either .22 or .25 for the Marmots since they average about 10-12lbs and the size of a large house cat, has anyone had any experiences with the Walther? I'm trying to keep with a springer since I'm accustomed to it's recoil style, don't want to spend over about $250 and considering it's a 2 hour hike into where I want to hunt the Marmot's I don't want to pack along CO2 or a pump since I'm going to be packing out what I kill for dinner. |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:38 pm |
|
|
| donec |
| Senior Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 19 Dec 2009 |
| Posts: 836 |
| Location: central Texas Pflugerville area |
|
|
 |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | Re: First post, question attached |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:55 pm |
|
|
| mojo rising |
| Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 20 Apr 2010 |
| Posts: 29 |
|
|
|
 |
| a77ssii wrote: |
| Been mainly into cartridge guns but decided it was time for a somewhat decent air gun so picked up a Gamo 220 a few years ago and have been finding myself shooting it more than my cartridge guns even tho I can/do shoot just about anything in the yard (so long as the projectile doesn't leave my property it's legal). I typically squirrel hunt with my Savage Mark II but thinking this year I'm going to use the Gamo and my little .32 muzzleloader. I finally found a nice place around 12,000' that has a nice population of Marmot's and Ptarmigan so the Gamo will also be headed up there. The question I have is I'm thinking about a Walther Falcon in either .22 or .25 for the Marmots since they average about 10-12lbs and the size of a large house cat, has anyone had any experiences with the Walther? I'm trying to keep with a springer since I'm accustomed to it's recoil style, don't want to spend over about $250 and considering it's a 2 hour hike into where I want to hunt the Marmot's I don't want to pack along CO2 or a pump since I'm going to be packing out what I kill for dinner. |
welcome to the forum. where do you live to have those species of small game?? seems like one lives in rocks and the other lives in frigid temps??? did a lil google |
|
_________________ ''...hw97k the best airgun there is, when you absolutely positively have to kill every mothertrucker in the room. accept no exceptions" |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:43 am |
|
|
| Jaxom |
| Senior Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 06 Aug 2008 |
| Posts: 927 |
|
|
|
 |
I can undestand not wanting to pack along extra gear that add wieght to your pack. But have you concidered HPA? Yes, you will need to bring along a small tank, but think of it from this angle. Co2 tanks are pressured to around 850psi, where as portable tanks for HPA are pressured to 3000psi. That'll give you more shots for your effort in packing that gun in.
A Benjiman Discovery would be in your price range for the intial price for an ag. You'll need to invest a bit for a scuba tank, field tank and the bits to fill the field tank, but I think you'll be very pleased with the performance of this rifle. Combined with the right pellets, would be ideal for thsoe marmots you're looking to bag for dinner. |
|
_________________ .22 2300kt Crosman Custom |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:15 pm |
|
|
| fritz |
| Silver Status Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 25 Nov 2008 |
| Posts: 2443 |
| Location: New Jersey- outside of Philadelphia |
|
|
 |
Welcome to AGH.
 |
|
_________________ "I never set out to be wierd, it was always everyone else who called me it" -Frank Zappa
Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.
It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person. |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:55 pm |
|
|
| a77ssii |
| Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 07 May 2010 |
| Posts: 15 |
|
|
|
 |
Sorry, been busy cutting wood for next winter so haven't been online alot.
mojo rising: Bailey, CO. My house is at 9000' and I have a friend that lives at 11,200' and the ridge behind her house is 12,200', the Marmots & Ptarmigan are everywhere up there and the Squirrels are both there and here. Once you clear about 11,500' nothing grows but moss, everything is loose scree and the high in the summer is about 60 degrees. Technically she's subalpine and the ridge is alpine.
Jaxom: Not only am I concerned about carrying more weight in but pressures increase dramatically at elevation. I've had gas cans and water bottles pop just going from 9K to 11K. The last think I want is compressed gas coming undone. The weight issues really come into play primarily on the way back. The Ptarmigan & Marmots are quite good to eat so going in a pack may weigh 10lbs but coming out add 10lbs per Marmot and 2lbs per bird. It gets heavy quick.
I've attached a pic of my happy hunting grounds. On the first I have to go from where I took the pic across the meadow into the crags on the mountain 15 miles round trip. The second I usually lurk around the base, it's just flat nasty up higher and requires climbing gear. The third I run the draw up and hunt the high ground which is about 12,000-12,200'. Now imagine going in with a 10lb pack and coming out with a 50lb pack plus carrying a 9lb rifle.
 |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:00 pm |
|
|
| yourdaddyjoe |
| Supporting Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 26 May 2008 |
| Posts: 4027 |
| Location: Tatorville, USA |
|
|
 |
The Whistle Pigs out here in Idaho are related to the Marmots...
You defo want HPA for 10 Lb critters... Especialy at that elevation and Temps... Co2 won't cut it below 60*...
Benji Discovery Right out of the box with a sling will do great unless you want something smaller... then you are looking at a custom....
You can pack in a 62ci 3000psi Regulated to 2000 psi tank and be safe for your back packing adventures... to fill from if you don't want to pump... They have burst discs on both the high and low sides of the Regulator.... Only bummer would be to pop one on the way up...
It's fun to be driving Pikes Peak and have chip bags pop...
I used to live in the Springs... Using Co2 in the cold is like spitting sunflower seads compared to HPA/PCP |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:02 pm |
|
|
| Mark5043 |
| Silver Status Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 12 Apr 2009 |
| Posts: 1379 |
|
|
|
 |
|
_________________
 |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:12 pm |
|
|
| fritz |
| Silver Status Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 25 Nov 2008 |
| Posts: 2443 |
| Location: New Jersey- outside of Philadelphia |
|
|
 |
That's a tough situation because of the pressures. For the weight issue you need a PCP. For the elevation, you need a springer.
The best thing you could do is probably a Diana 54. She's a fat girl, but will provide PCP type performance, from a springer.
In my honest opinion, the Savage would likely suite you the best. I fondled one at the LGS and even with the laminate stock and heavy barrel, it wasn't very heavy. Granted it's not air powered, but I would think you'll be shooting 100+ yards commonly. This could be done with a PCP, but of course the issue is pressure. |
|
_________________ "I never set out to be wierd, it was always everyone else who called me it" -Frank Zappa
Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.
It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person. |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:18 pm |
|
|
| rsterne |
| Moderator |

 |
 |
| Joined: 15 Jan 2008 |
| Posts: 2998 |
| Location: Coalmont, BC |
|
|
 |
| Quote: |
| pressures increase dramatically at elevation |
That applies to things at low pressures.... but even if the pressure at altitude is only half that at sea level.... that is only a tiny percentage change compared to 3000 psi in a tank.... like you are talking 7 psi or 0.2%.... Nothing to worry about from that point of view....
I would get a Disco and a small pony tank.... I have a 48 ci. tank that will refill it like 7 times.... The combination is as light as a magnum springer....
Bob |
|
Last edited by rsterne on Fri May 21, 2010 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total _________________ Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
Airsonal: Too many to count! |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:21 pm |
|
|
| yourdaddyjoe |
| Supporting Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 26 May 2008 |
| Posts: 4027 |
| Location: Tatorville, USA |
|
|
 |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:36 pm |
|
|
| a77ssii |
| Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 07 May 2010 |
| Posts: 15 |
|
|
|
 |
It appears I have alot of research to do.
Range wise, I don't think I've dropped anything over 30yds and I've even used my Buckmark a few times. In the pack I carry 2 qts of water, ammo and my ghillie suit. I hunker down in the rocks and use a squirrel call, they come up to investigate and it's lights out. I've had hikers come up on me to investigate the occasional gun shots and they almost walked on top of me. The only time CO requires orange is if your big game hunting, our seasons overlap but the Elk and Deer have all migrated to lower elevations by then so I don't worry too much about it. |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:20 pm |
|
|
| fritz |
| Silver Status Member |

 |
 |
| Joined: 25 Nov 2008 |
| Posts: 2443 |
| Location: New Jersey- outside of Philadelphia |
|
|
 |
I think politicians should be required to wear hunter orange dunce hats everywhere they go. Just for public safety.
On the realistic side... 30 yards you can do with your Gamo. I doubt it has the power to humanely take the marmots though. The Diana 350 would definitely have the power and accuracy. No problem to take 50 yard shots in good conditions.
@Bob. So my tank of given volume, with 15psi in it, will increase to (nominally) 45psi at altitude from sea level. Whilst the 1,000psi tank would only increase to 1,020psi? I would think pressure increase from altitude is linear, not exponential. Since the force it applies to the tank walls would be linear for psi changes, no? |
|
_________________ "I never set out to be wierd, it was always everyone else who called me it" -Frank Zappa
Speed is impressive, accuracy is deadly.
It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that I'm not a stupid people person. |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:29 am |
|
|
| rsterne |
| Moderator |

 |
 |
| Joined: 15 Jan 2008 |
| Posts: 2998 |
| Location: Coalmont, BC |
|
|
 |
A tank with 15 psi inside would still have the same pressure.... 15 psi.... however as measured with a gauge it might be 22 psi (assuming the air pressure at your altitude is 8 psi instead of 15 psi at sea level)....
It the tank has 1000 psi, it would read 1007 psi with a gauge.... an insignificant change....
Bob |
|
_________________ Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
Airsonal: Too many to count! |
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
 |  | | | |  |  |  |  | |  | |  |  |  |
Posted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:38 am |
|
|
| a77ssii |
| Member |

|
 |
| Joined: 07 May 2010 |
| Posts: 15 |
|
|
|
 |
| Ok. The Diana 54 is out of the question, I just have an issue with spending more of an airgun than I did for my .300 Win Mag + scope. The Diana 350 is basically the same price as the Benji so I rejected it which leaves the Benji. Problem is right at this instant we're going through a basement finish so money's a bit tight. So what I'm going to do is piece the Benji together, rifle is $260, fill regulator is $65, pony tank is $150 and I have a big scuba sized CO2 tank already from a soda fountain, it just needs recertification. In the interim I ordered the Walther Talon, it advertises 900fps which we all know is BS but if it doesn't do the job I always have the Buckmark with me so a finishing shot wouldn't be an issue and I'd just stop using it on Marmots and go back to the Savage for the rest of the season. Once the Benji is complete I have a neighbor who will buy the Walther to replace his 20 year old Crosman pumper which would recoup the regulator and fill the big tank. The main reasons I went Benji over Diana is the lack of recoil and the fact I can leave it charged at home to deal with the yard vermin quickly, they've gotten wise to the sound of the barrel clicking when I cock the Gamo. Thank you all for the input, now it's up to me. |
|
|
 |
 |
|
|
|  |  |  | | | |  |  |
Note: If you are seeing "Please enter your username and password to log in." Your browser cookies have been reset
or you need to register to access the topic in question. Use the 'Register' button near the top left of this page.
|